British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone bought a new car recently? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-bought-new-car-recently-449959/)

jon and alex May 22nd 2007 7:53 pm

Re: Anyone bought a new car recently?

Originally Posted by jayr (Post 4795348)
Well, it seems that the Queensland Police Credit Union do them on behalf of Queenland emergency and health workers

Well that is interesting - I'll have a little look at that. Thanks very much for the help!:thumbsup:

allison May 23rd 2007 12:51 am

Yeah i find you should always barter even when sales are supposedly on and not just for new cars. We have bought 2 new cars at different ford dealers in the last 3-4 months and we managed to get 4000$ knocked off plus free registration, stamp duty etc, free tint, alloys, powered windows, cruise control, metallic paint and car mats.

I have got huge discounts on outdoor furniture, fridge freezer, hoover and even a juicer!

Happy bartering!

renth May 23rd 2007 1:32 am

Originally Posted by allison (Post 4817397)
Yeah i find you should always barter even when sales are supposedly on and not just for new cars.

Happy bartering!

I've never heard of a car dealer who will barter with you.

If someone comes across one, let me know and I'll see if I can swap my old wind surfer for a new Toyota 4x4. :D

steve99 May 23rd 2007 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian (Post 4813451)
But arent you financing the whole amount not just the 16000, and if you were to finace the balloon then that would be 3 years later.

Well I wasnt 100% sure:confused:, I figured to get a more accurate comparison I wouldnt finance it at the start (as I could put this down from the sale of our current car) and if I did finance it I would own it at the end of the term and not have the balloon to pay.
Down the Novated route I would have to find $16K at the end.

jon and alex May 23rd 2007 8:56 am

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 4817742)
Well I wasnt 100% sure:confused:, I figured to get a more accurate comparison I wouldnt finance it at the start (as I could put this down from the sale of our current car) and if I did finance it I would own it at the end of the term and not have the balloon to pay.
Down the Novated route I would have to find $16K at the end.

I see what you are saying but the trick is to choose a car which will retain its value. Look after the car and hopefully it should be worth as much or, more likely, more than the balloon payment. You can then sell the car, pay off the balloon, pocket the profit and start another lease.
If all goes to plan you get a new car every 3 years on the cheap. Obviously you have the hassle of selling and refinancing every 3 years though (or however long your finance is).
It looks to me that you can't go wrong with these schemes as long as you get a good price at the outset, don't buy an end of series model, and look after the car.

steve99 May 25th 2007 6:10 am

Originally Posted by jon and alex (Post 4818678)
I see what you are saying but the trick is to choose a car which will retain its value. Look after the car and hopefully it should be worth as much or, more likely, more than the balloon payment. You can then sell the car, pay off the balloon, pocket the profit and start another lease.
If all goes to plan you get a new car every 3 years on the cheap. Obviously you have the hassle of selling and refinancing every 3 years though (or however long your finance is).
It looks to me that you can't go wrong with these schemes as long as you get a good price at the outset, don't buy an end of series model, and look after the car.

I totally agree, i've made some initial enquiries, the residual value of the vehicle is basically done on a depreciation schedule, so there's no option to negotiate this down. It'll be the same with whoever you do your novated lease through.
The figure does seem very low though, a $45K car dropping to about $22K after 36months. I've got a 5 year old car thats only dropped just over 50% of its value, so expect this one to be worth at least high $20K's after 3 years and under 50K KM's.

jayr May 25th 2007 6:43 am

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 4828843)
The figure does seem very low though, a $45K car dropping to about $22K after 36months. I've got a 5 year old car thats only dropped just over 50% of its value, so expect this one to be worth at least high $20K's after 3 years and under 50K KM's.

And that's where you make your money!

I think I said earlier in the thread that I sold a car at lease end privately for $20k but only had to pay off something like $13k back to the lease company.

In theory you could consider that you have paid for that profit during your lease term and are then receiving it back as a lump sum at the end.

I guess it would be worth adding up three years of the lease payment (of the vehicle only, not all the consumables) to see the total paid over three years. If that added up to $23k in your example then you would have paid for that depreciation in full (and then receive some back on selling the car).

Jensen Healey Jun 7th 2007 11:41 am

I'm sure someone posted a link to a site showing current manufacturer deals that you could use to haggle even harder with the dealers, but I can't find it now - not in this thread anyway. Anyone know what it was?

steve99 Jun 8th 2007 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey (Post 4884300)
I'm sure someone posted a link to a site showing current manufacturer deals that you could use to haggle even harder with the dealers, but I can't find it now - not in this thread anyway. Anyone know what it was?

It might of been this one:
www.discountnewcars.com.au

Jensen Healey Jun 8th 2007 8:00 am

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 4887810)
It might of been this one:
www.discountnewcars.com.au

Don't think so, but that one looks useful too.

ray2gill Jun 9th 2007 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gothchick (Post 4777377)
hi

just bought a Kia Grande Carnival, paid the list price, but it was upgraded from the base model to the luxury, also got the interior mats, window tints, reverse sensors and sidesteps thrown in.
got a $500 discount for taking a colour that was in stock (it wasn't our favourite) and then the guy rang to say he had made a mistake and got the colour we wanted anyway:thumbsup:

Hi Gothchick,

Can you tell me what percentage of window tint is allowed.? My windows are 30% but not sure about in OZ.

Thank,
Gillian:cool: