British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone bought a new car recently? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-bought-new-car-recently-449959/)

steve99 May 14th 2007 7:44 am

Anyone bought a new car recently?

I'm thinking of taking advantage of one of these end of finanical year deals...
Just trying to find out if anyone has bought a new car in the past few months and if so what sort of discount they managed to negotiate.
Interested to know:
Type of Car, Dealer purchased from, RRP, price you paid.

Steve:)

worzel May 14th 2007 7:53 am

Re: Anyone bought a new car recently?

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 4777311)
Just trying to find out if anyone has bought a new car in the past few months and if so what sort of discount they managed to negotiate.
Interested to know:

It could be me but it seems like the end of calendar year run-outs roll over into end of calendar year run-outs roll-over into end of model run-outs... :)

steve`o May 14th 2007 8:00 am

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 4777332)
It could be me but it seems like the end of calendar year run-outs roll over into end of calendar year run-outs roll-over into end of model run-outs... :)

o youve shattered the illusion :rofl:
you mean its not a genuine sale:ohmy:

Gothchick May 14th 2007 8:09 am

hi

just bought a Kia Grande Carnival, paid the list price, but it was upgraded from the base model to the luxury, also got the interior mats, window tints, reverse sensors and sidesteps thrown in.
got a $500 discount for taking a colour that was in stock (it wasn't our favourite) and then the guy rang to say he had made a mistake and got the colour we wanted anyway:thumbsup:

Trevski May 14th 2007 9:29 am

Hi
Hit them hard they want your custom, we have bought a new Toyota landcruiser Sahara 4.2TD list price $97500 plus extras(mats,tints etc) including on road costs, we played two toyota dealers of with each other, in the end we paid $817900, we have had the car for four months now. We have been pleased with the discount we managed to get, i suppose it helps with me coming from the car trade in the uk, but you and anyone can get good discounts:thumbup:

Buzzy--Bee May 14th 2007 11:33 am

I just bought a brand new Nissan Pathfinder diesel Ti for delivery when we arrive in Oz. Played several dealers off against each other, most bowed out at OTR $56,500.

Our chosen dealer was $55271 including window tints, mats, 5 year warranty.

List price is about $62,000 OTR or something.

Most exciting!

Buzzy

Gethy May 14th 2007 1:14 pm

Hey,

We have lined up a Nissan X-Trail, the recent price drop put the Ti model at around $33500 (RRP $35,990). We got the car plus $1600's worth of extras, on the road for $31500 and we got 12 months rego and the first free service included.

Probably could have got more but having lined it up from here in the uk we are happy with the price.

Cheers

bradfordlad May 14th 2007 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Trevski (Post 4777555)
Hi
Hit them hard they want your custom, we have bought a new Toyota landcruiser Sahara 4.2TD list price $97500 plus extras(mats,tints etc) including on road costs, we played two toyota dealers of with each other, in the end we paid $817900, we have had the car for four months now. We have been pleased with the discount we managed to get, i suppose it helps with me coming from the car trade in the uk, but you and anyone can get good discounts:thumbup:

Bet the salesman is still on holiday! Have never heard of anyone bartering UP from under $100k to over $800k. :rofl: Your just showing off mate!

Nic938 May 14th 2007 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Gothchick (Post 4777377)
hi

just bought a Kia Grande Carnival, paid the list price, but it was upgraded from the base model to the luxury, also got the interior mats, window tints, reverse sensors and sidesteps thrown in.
got a $500 discount for taking a colour that was in stock (it wasn't our favourite) and then the guy rang to say he had made a mistake and got the colour we wanted anyway:thumbsup:

How much did you pay as can't seem to find the list price? What is the difference between the carnival and the grande carnival, just more boot space?

Thanks in advance

Nic

canifixit May 14th 2007 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 4777943)
I just bought a brand new Nissan Pathfinder diesel Ti for delivery when we arrive in Oz. Played several dealers off against each other, most bowed out at OTR $56,500.

Most exciting!

Buzzy

Hi Buzzy
I have been looking at a pathfinder for the wife.Which dealer are you using and are they going to drop it at the airport for you.

Buzzy--Bee May 14th 2007 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by canifixit (Post 4779121)
Hi Buzzy
I have been looking at a pathfinder for the wife.Which dealer are you using and are they going to drop it at the airport for you.

Which part of Oz are you going to mate?

Buzzy

datamile May 14th 2007 5:54 pm

This was the deal I got was

HYUNDAI SANTAFE 2.2 SLX CRDI $43490.00
METTALIC PAINT $350.00
TINT $495.00
TOW BAR $895.00
CARPET MATS $120.00
BONNET PROTECTOR $135.00
HEAD LIGHT PROTECTOR $110.00
STYLE VISORS $100.00
STAMP DUTY $914.00
REGISTRATION $264.35
CTP $290.20
DEALER DELIVERY $2195.00
TOTAL $49358.55

ENGLISH DISCOUNT $5858.55

try drive.com.au .. it'll let you email all the local dealers , and then u can start dealing

canifixit May 14th 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 4779130)
Which part of Oz are you going to mate?

Buzzy

Hi Buzzy.
We are going to Perth In July.

Buzzy--Bee May 14th 2007 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by canifixit (Post 4780189)
Hi Buzzy.
We are going to Perth In July.

OK well I suggest you have a chat with some Perth dealers, we bought in Melbourne and the dealer is delivering the car to the airport as part of the deal. I have heard that you will pay more for a Nissan in WA than in VIC, I may have remembered that wrong. Just play the dealers off against each other.

Buzzy

canifixit May 14th 2007 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 4780241)
OK well I suggest you have a chat with some Perth dealers, we bought in Melbourne and the dealer is delivering the car to the airport as part of the deal. I have heard that you will pay more for a Nissan in WA than in VIC, I may have remembered that wrong. Just play the dealers off against each other.

Buzzy

Cheers Buzzy.Thought about the ST-L Diesel Manual as well. This seems to list at about $10,000 less than the Ti. It does not have the following:
side airbags
curtain srs airbags
rear park assist
charcoal leather seats
heated front seats
glass/tilt/sunroof
rear aircon
rear seat entertainment system.

A bit more thinking to be done but I always screw dealers down till they squeek.
Might also consider pre ordering for when we arrive.

Cheers.

Buzzy--Bee May 14th 2007 7:35 pm

You may wish to ask 232Bar about the ST-L Pathfinder as he has one (hope he doesn't mind me volunteering him!)

I've driven his one - its a great car. I just wanted a few extra features.

Buzzy

canifixit May 14th 2007 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 4780314)
You may wish to ask 232Bar about the ST-L Pathfinder as he has one (hope he doesn't mind me volunteering him!)

I've driven his one - its a great car. I just wanted a few extra features.

Buzzy

Cheers.

The wife has a Terrano here and she wondered wether the Pathfinder would be too big. A trip to our nearest dealer may be in order.

Buzzy--Bee May 14th 2007 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by canifixit (Post 4780334)
Cheers.

The wife has a Terrano here and she wondered wether the Pathfinder would be too big. A trip to our nearest dealer may be in order.

Why not? The UK Pathfinder and the Oz Pathfinder are built on the same production line in Spain. Its just the level of toys that varies between the 2 markets.

Buzzy

Gothchick May 14th 2007 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Nic938 (Post 4778885)
How much did you pay as can't seem to find the list price? What is the difference between the carnival and the grande carnival, just more boot space?

Thanks in advance

Nic

Hi

List price for the Grande Carnival is $42,000,
difference between that and the Carnival, is the boot space.
Big enough to fit the Mother in Law in (lol).
As with all mpv's not much of a boot, but the Grande is about 30cm longer than the other, and also the boot dips right down into the body of the car, so loads of space.
60/40 split seats at the back as well, so can just fold one seat away and have more space. Back seats also fold down into the body of the car.
It's cool!!!

Gothchick

Plug May 14th 2007 11:48 pm

The Grande is 8 seater whereas the standard Carnival is 7 - I fink....

Gothchick May 15th 2007 12:09 am

both the Grande and the Carnival are both 8 seaters, if they are new, they do older 7 seats.

TrickyTree May 15th 2007 12:11 am

You must really love your MIL as I just hook mine to the tow bar and drag her along! ;) :rofl: ;) :rofl:

Originally Posted by Gothchick (Post 4781396)

Amazulu May 15th 2007 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 4777943)

Most exciting!

Buzzy

Great 4x4. Perfect for Australia. I have a Navara, which is based on the Pathfinder and it's awesome.

steve99 May 15th 2007 3:43 am

Thanks for the info everyone, seems like some of you have got some pretty good deals, im a couple of weeks away from starting the haggling but will let you know how I get on.
Currently thinking about the Holden Captiva, Mazda CX-7 or the new Kia Sorento.

Also trying to get my head around the whole novated lease thing and putting it through work.

Keep your deals coming:D

northernbird May 15th 2007 3:45 am

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 4782022)
Thanks for the info everyone, seems like some of you have got some pretty good deals, im a couple of weeks away from starting the haggling but will let you know how I get on.

Also trying to get my head around the whole novated lease thing and putting it through work.

I love the look of the new CX7 but I am not sure it would be that great off road. We are torn between the new pathfinder and the pajero.

steve99 May 15th 2007 4:06 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 4782024)
I love the look of the new CX7 but I am not sure it would be that great off road. We are torn between the new pathfinder and the pajero.

It does look nice, although sometimes I think its a bit like a Mazda 3 thats had extra air pumped into it to make it look a bit chunkier.
The 6mth service intervals and having to run it on premium are a bit of negative.
Only wanting to spend about $40K so have had to rule out the Pathfinder and Pajero.

Pomster May 15th 2007 5:23 am

we bought a new Subaru Forestor last year and used a car broker...they managed to get us a great deal (we also had a car to trade in, so wanted to drop one off and pick up new one at same time).

There are loads of brokers around and they tend to negotiate with the same dealers as you, but get a trade discount too.

Think I used something like carsearch.com.au (not sure of the exact name) but there are a few around.

Amazulu May 15th 2007 6:00 am

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 4782052)
It does look nice, although sometimes I think its a bit like a Mazda 3 thats had extra air pumped into it to make it look a bit chunkier.
The 6mth service intervals and having to run it on premium are a bit of negative.
Only wanting to spend about $40K so have had to rule out the Pathfinder and Pajero.

With $40k I would definitely go for the new Sorento.

Buzzy--Bee May 15th 2007 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 4781572)
Great 4x4. Perfect for Australia. I have a Navara, which is based on the Pathfinder and it's awesome.

Yeh, Navaras quite common here in West London among the tradies, but Pathfinders are very rare!

Looking forward to lots of camping adventures....

Buzzy

Trevski May 15th 2007 8:04 am

Originally Posted by bradfordlad (Post 4778667)
Bet the salesman is still on holiday! Have never heard of anyone bartering UP from under $100k to over $800k. :rofl: Your just showing off mate!

So sorry but normal people would see i made i mistake and it should of been discounted to $81789.00 if you are not able to get a deal then you must not be a very good negotiator, and its not showing off MATE:curse: is was a good deal

northernbird May 15th 2007 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Trevski (Post 4782511)
So sorry but normal people would see i made i mistake and it should of been discounted to $81789.00 if you are not able to get a deal then you must not be a very good negotiator, and its not showing off MATE:curse: is was a good deal

maybe you should have asked the dealer if he had a sense of humour he could sell you as well ;)

Trevski May 15th 2007 8:19 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 4782519)
maybe you should have asked the dealer if he had a sense of humour he could sell you as well ;)

dont need humour when funny people like you are around:D NOT

Buzzy--Bee May 15th 2007 8:47 am

Calm down folks, its only a thread about cars.....

Buzzy

Trevski May 15th 2007 8:48 am

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 4782022)

The novated lease works like this, you agree with your employer that while you work for them , they will pay the lease payments on your car, you then go to a dealer and agree on a car and any finance amount you want or need, you agree to the payments but then you place your company details on the novated lease and all the time your work for the company they pay the payments, but the day you leave the company you must either carry on paying the payments (because you signed the agreement) or start with a new employer and they then take over the payments for you or you sell the car back to a dealer so you can get out of the agreement
hope this helped

CadburysFingers May 15th 2007 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Trevski (Post 4782511)

Major sense of humour byepass I think, the guy was just pulling your leg, surely you could see there was no malice in his comments, chill out mate.

As for getting a good deal, we have bought 2 new cars since arriving, both times we have looked up the price of the model we wanted on http://www.discountnewcars.com.au then used that as a guide when bartering. Its a really good site, and lets you know all the deals that the manufacturers are offering as standard, so when the dealer tells you he can throw in this that and the other, he can actually do a lot more, as the manufacturers were doing that anyway, so he is actually not giving you anything.

If you click on the Specials link: http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/dnc_specials.cfm you will see there are already some big discounts, before you even walk into the showroom.

Geelong Gent May 15th 2007 11:54 am

Interested to know:

Toyota Prado Grande
Including full tank of diesel (180 litre tank), heavy duty floor mats, tints, rear parking sensors, metallic paint, 3 yr road side assistance, first service free. $72K on the road. That compares to $75K list price (before on the road stamp duty, GST, etc - one initial quote was $86K for this car.)

Buzzy--Bee May 15th 2007 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 4783308)
Toyota Prado Grande
Including full tank of diesel (180 litre tank), heavy duty floor mats, tints, rear parking sensors, metallic paint, 3 yr road side assistance, first service free. $72K on the road. That compares to $75K list price (before on the road stamp duty, GST, etc - one initial quote was $86K for this car.)

Bloomin Toorak Tractor drivers.

:D

Buzzy

Nic938 May 15th 2007 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Gothchick (Post 4781396)
Hi

List price for the Grande Carnival is $42,000,
difference between that and the Carnival, is the boot space.
As with all mpv's not much of a boot, but the Grande is about 30cm longer than the other, and also the boot dips right down into the body of the car, so loads of space.
60/40 split seats at the back as well, so can just fold one seat away and have more space. Back seats also fold down into the body of the car.
It's cool!!!

Gothchick

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Nic

geordie downunder May 15th 2007 1:55 pm

Interested to know:

Not new,it would break my heart to see 25% depreciation for the wheels to turn round once.I like to buy things that go up in value ,not down.Anyway.

Bought a Fairlane Ghia last week 5 litre V8,2002 model,90,000K's.All leather,electric everything.He wanted $19000,asked how much for cash,he said make an offer.I said 15k and he agreed instantly,shot myself in the foot there I think.

Stamp duty should be around $400-450.

Rang around for a gas conversion price.First guy said $2900,and I would get $3000 back from the govt in grants.Second guy said $5500,I think he has decided the grant and the cost of the system should go into his pocket.Rang the first guy back and it is booked in end of next month.3 year warranty on system and labour.

Rang around for insurance,over 50 driver,full no claims bonus,fully comprehensive insurance.Cheapest quote was $357, nobody under 40 to drive the car,most expensive (HBF) was $760.Most of the others were around the $550 mark.

Should get 10 yrs out of it easy,takes me well past retirement age.

By then that will be 38 yrs in OZ ,total cost of cars will have been $32,000.XC Fairmont GXL ($3000),E A Fairmont Ghia ($14,000),then this one.

That depreciation lark is not for me,but each to their own.A young apprentice in one of the factories I go to was well miffed,he pays $1400 for insurance for his V8 falcon,98 model.

The insurance companies would not let me insure it for agreed value of $18,000.According to them the market value of the car was between $22,000 and $24,000,weird.

Jensen Healey May 15th 2007 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by geordie downunder (Post 4783883)
The insurance companies would not let me insure it for agreed value of $18,000.According to them the market value of the car was between $22,000 and $24,000,weird.

It'd be interesting to see how much they'd give you if it was written off then!