Reload this Page >

Anyone in Armidale?

Anyone in Armidale?

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Lowbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in Armidale?

Hi guys

Thought this might be a good place to find out if anyone who has done the move and is giving their experience has been to the Northern Inland regions of NSW?

Wanting to find out a bit more about Armidale and peoples experiences on it - work/schools/family community etc?

Many thanks in advance
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

mark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone in Armidale?

Hi lowbie,

I worked in Armidale for a few months, great uni Town, very beautiful and senic place...lots of farming and Friendly folk.

From my understanding is that the education is excelent.

But a bloody long way from anywhere...! but they do have an airport.

If it been the first place I had landed when i moved to Oz I may well have stayed there!!

Cheers,
mark
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Armidale a few times but never lived there.

It's not your usual NSW country town - it's far more sophisticated than most due to having the Uni and several highly regarded private schools. It's the sort of place where wealthy graziers send their kids to boarding school. It markets itself as an 'education centre' and the population reflects that. It has some nice shops, decent coffee and is close to some scenic areas. It's a nice spot - always reminds me of Canberra.

It also gets rather cold there - recent weather reports here showed Armidale had the lowest overnight temperatures in the whole state. I think one night it dropped to -12.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

I live about 90 mins away, about 15km outside Tamworth, NSW. Armidale is a nice place with most things you could want and anything it hasn't got you can find in Tamworth. Armidale is only about 2.5 hours from Coffs Harbour and the New England Hwy will take you up to Qld

Local paper is the Northern Daily Leader if you Google that, then you'll find the jobs under classifieds I think, lots of work about the region.

You'll get more house for your money here too, which is always a bonus and there is a lot of houses being built and work around. Tamworth is putting up about 3000 new homes and the plots all seem to go quickly. There was a deal recently for a brand new home about $264,000 4 bed home on 4 acres with small pool!

The climate in Armidale is much cooler than for example here in Tamworth.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climat...=site&lc=56037

See above link for temps throughout the year, from memory last year when we got 40 degree plus days they were just into 30's.

As with anywhere, my advice would be to visit and get a feel for the place yourself.

I have an Aussie friend in Armidale if you need a contact or have a specific question then pm me and will put you in contact. Good luck with wherever you settle.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Lowbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy66
I live about 90 mins away, about 15km outside Tamworth, NSW. Armidale is a nice place with most things you could want and anything it hasn't got you can find in Tamworth. Armidale is only about 2.5 hours from Coffs Harbour and the New England Hwy will take you up to Qld

Local paper is the Northern Daily Leader if you Google that, then you'll find the jobs under classifieds I think, lots of work about the region.

You'll get more house for your money here too, which is always a bonus and there is a lot of houses being built and work around. Tamworth is putting up about 3000 new homes and the plots all seem to go quickly. There was a deal recently for a brand new home about $264,000 4 bed home on 4 acres with small pool!

The climate in Armidale is much cooler than for example here in Tamworth.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climat...=site&lc=56037

See above link for temps throughout the year, from memory last year when we got 40 degree plus days they were just into 30's.

As with anywhere, my advice would be to visit and get a feel for the place yourself.

I have an Aussie friend in Armidale if you need a contact or have a specific question then pm me and will put you in contact. Good luck with wherever you settle.
Thank all so much for the great feedback - that does really help.

You are absolutely right, its so important to visit adn judge it that way. But you're comments have made it even more a place of interest.

Thank you
Old Feb 11th 2011, 2:28 am
Just Joined

nikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nice
Smile Re: Anyone in Armidale?

Hi
I have just moved to Armidale from the UK - did you make the move here? if so get in touch
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nikki60
Hi
I have just moved to Armidale from the UK - did you make the move here? if so get in touch
Was in Armidale today to do a bit of shopping, hubby works up there sometimes and we went for lunch today and I shopped whilst he did few visits........ happy to meet up next time I'm up there just PM me
Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:28 am
Just Joined

nikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nicenikki60 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Was in Armidale today to do a bit of shopping, hubby works up there sometimes and we went for lunch today and I shopped whilst he did few visits........ happy to meet up next time I'm up there just PM me
That's great - would love to meet up - not sure how to make contact directly - can you pick up my e-mail from this site? I am happy to drive to Tamworth one day (never been there so worth a trip) but perhaps when it's cooler - I hear Tamworths a lot hotter than here N