Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Aberdeen in Perth?

Anyone from Aberdeen in Perth?

Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

jamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone from Aberdeen in Perth?

Hi

I know this is a bit of a longshot....

After lots of hard work and stress (and help and knowledge from BE) I am in just about to be offered a position in the oil & gas business in Perth on a 457 visa and about to have to sit down int next week to seriously do the sums etc and the pros and cons etc of moving with wife and three kids (2, 5 and 10)

Just wondering if anyone is out there on BE is from Aberdeen and can put into context how they feel on the pros and cons and where they might live and school the kids in Perth relative to where they were in Aberdeen (we are in Bieldside - the cheap bit! with kids at Cults school and if you know this this is kind of what we are looking from for suburbs/schools and able to walk to school/shops!)

Cheers for any help and feel free to PM if you know what I am talking about

Best Regards

James
Old Aug 26th 2006, 12:39 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone from Aberdeen in Perth?

Originally Posted by jamesegrant
Hi

I know this is a bit of a longshot....

After lots of hard work and stress (and help and knowledge from BE) I am in just about to be offered a position in the oil & gas business in Perth on a 457 visa and about to have to sit down int next week to seriously do the sums etc and the pros and cons etc of moving with wife and three kids (2, 5 and 10)

Just wondering if anyone is out there on BE is from Aberdeen and can put into context how they feel on the pros and cons and where they might live and school the kids in Perth relative to where they were in Aberdeen (we are in Bieldside - the cheap bit! with kids at Cults school and if you know this this is kind of what we are looking from for suburbs/schools and able to walk to school/shops!)

Cheers for any help and feel free to PM if you know what I am talking about

Best Regards

James
Hi James

Is there a cheap bit to Bieldside?

If you're looking for an equivelent in age and character then you will struggle, but if you are looking for an equivelent as in schools and facilities then you have your pick, your only real consideration will be on how much you want to spend and how long a commute you consider to be acceptable. I'm guessing that you currently have a 15 min commute to Tullos, well you may have to look at making that a little longer unless you want to spend serious money.

It's a big move to make and i'm guessing on a 457 it's going to be a quick one, my brother is just in the process of selling up and packing up, they got confirmation of job 4 weeks ago and are due here in 5 weeks, they are on a 457 and currently in Kingswells, I can put you in touch if you feel having a chat with someone in the same boat would help, he can maybe give you some info about the 457 you may not already know.

As for somewhere to raise your kids i certainly wouldn't want to swap, i think my kids would divorce me if i said we were going back. They are 10,8 and 2.

If you want any more specific info on suburbs or anything either pm me or email me on [email protected]

Lynn
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone from Aberdeen in Perth?

Hi James,

We are currently out in Brisbane, but my husband works offshore in perth, so we had the chance to live anywhere and we picked brissie because of the weather.
We lived out in Ellon, but must admit since coming here 10 month ago havent heard any scottish only english accents.
We are on a 457 visa, only thing i would say get is private health care, my husband got taken in to hospital with appendixcitis and 36 hours later still not operated on they burst and he ended up real sick, not saying we would of went quicker private but we have now got it.
Any questions just ask, we have three kids ages 11,6 and 2.

Cheers
Suzanne