Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ANYBODY GOING TO BRISBANE IN SEPT

ANYBODY GOING TO BRISBANE IN SEPT

Old May 30th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of
Default Re: ANYBODY GOING TO BRISBANE IN SEPT

Originally Posted by sbrown
MOVING TO BRISBANE ON THE 16TH FLYING FROM MANCHESTER

ANY IDEAS ON NICE AREAS TO LIVE IN, HAVE TWO CHILDERN (ONE YEAR AND 8 YEARS OF AGE)

I am! I'm heading back to Brisbane in September around the same time as you. I'll probably be there for a couple of weeks before heading home.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

ormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really nice

let me know how you get on. i have looked at redland bay. flying out 16th sept when are you going??
Hi there,

My husband (35) my son (8) and myself (31), have been in Brisbane now for just over 8 weeks we stayed in the city in a Travel Inn for the first 10 days while we had a good look round.

We have settled in Redland Bay it is so beautiful here and everything is not to far away to travel to like Wet n Wild, Movie World, Seaworld, Zoo and Dreamworld where Big Brother is filmed, went to an eviction night there the other week it was very good and cheap.

My son goes to the Redland Bay Primary School here which has a good reputation and he really likes which is a good sign as he hated school back in the UK and seemed to struggle.

People are so friendly around this area, for example on our way to Seaworld nearly 2 weeks ago going over the bridge which has a sign saying rear ending accident spot so being careful, stopped behind a van the car behind us stopped but unfortunately the one behind that must of been enjoying the view to much and came into us all at speed!! Car a right mess, towed away going to take 2 1/2 weeks to fix. Didn't know what on earth we were going to do without a car need it to get our son to school and even to the nearest shop. Lady down the hill offered me her old car which wasn t being used. so so helpful.

If you need any advice just ask away

sarah
Old Jun 9th 2007, 6:44 am
Just Joined

sbrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lizhenshaw
I am moving out in September with my 8 year old son and 5 year old daughter. I am taking a trip next week for a reccy and to look at schools. From a friend of a friend I have been told Sherwood, Manly, Brookfield - but will let you know when I get back. Lets keep in touch!!
how did your reccie go
Old Jun 9th 2007, 6:49 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

ANY IDEAS ON NICE AREAS TO LIVE IN, HAVE TWO CHILDERN (ONE YEAR AND 8 YEARS OF AGE)
We are flying from Heathrow on the 1st, arrive in Bris on the 4th!
Old Jun 9th 2007, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving out in September with my 8 year old son and 5 year old daughter. I am taking a trip next week for a reccy and to look at schools. From a friend of a friend I have been told Sherwood, Manly, Brookfield - but will let you know when I get back. Lets keep in touch!!
Brookfield's a nice area but traffic wise forget it. If either you or hubby need to get to the city to work you are looking at an hour and a half to travel approx 12 kms. I am not joking! Western suburbs are notoriously bad for gridlocked traffic (I live there myself).

Sherwood is a fantastic area for families, fairly flat and there are plenty of amenities including train stations in the area, bypassing the traffic problem and giving you that flexiblity of, say when your kids are older and might go to a private school out of the area (plenty of people in these areas send their kids private), of catching the train.

Horses for courses - good luck!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rabsody
Brookfield's a nice area but traffic wise forget it. If either you or hubby need to get to the city to work you are looking at an hour and a half to travel approx 12 kms. I am not joking! Western suburbs are notoriously bad for gridlocked traffic (I live there myself).

Sherwood is a fantastic area for families, fairly flat and there are plenty of amenities including train stations in the area, bypassing the traffic problem and giving you that flexiblity of, say when your kids are older and might go to a private school out of the area (plenty of people in these areas send their kids private), of catching the train.

Horses for courses - good luck!
What if Hubby works in Bisbane (Queensland Health), I want to live by beach,, we have 3 kids, 15, 10 and 6 so also need good schools, can anyone recommend anywhere which would fit the bill for us all
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
What if Hubby works in Bisbane (Queensland Health), I want to live by beach,, we have 3 kids, 15, 10 and 6 so also need good schools, can anyone recommend anywhere which would fit the bill for us all
in a word - no
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:25 am
Liz

lizhenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kerikerr
we'll be hopefully going November and we like Sherwood (apparently a very good primary school there)Graceville, Figtree pocket, all quite pricey but like many have said before will have to just wait till we get out there and see for ourselves! will definately be renting first!
Just thought I would let you know that Figtree pocket was absaloutely gorgeous - can't go wrong. i would live there myself but could not find a private school that I was happy with in that area.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all

We are flying out hopefully on 14th sept, from Heathrow, and are probably going to settle in redland bay, went there in february and it was lovely, but prices there are going up and up, we keep an eye on them weekly via net.
Failing that our second choice is Beaudesert area, mundoolun, jimboomba a bit in land but lovely area, our cousin lives there and has a small problem at moment with kangaroos in back garden beats having moles i suppose

Steve
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:26 am
Liz

how did your reccie go
Hi Anthony & Anna - sorry have not replied before.
We are leaving at the end of September. We are wiating to hear if our daughter has got into Moreton Bay school, our son has a placement at Churchie. If not both are going to Sheldon College which is also a fab school - so will settle somewhere near the schools or between them. I don't think there is any area outside the city that I would not live. My own preference is to have a bit of privacy (dont like the whole live 'right' next door to yout neighbours). so the more out of city the better it suits me.
I went on my own with my 5 year old and then 8 year old, we had a brilliant time and I absaloutely loved every minute I was there - gosh I wish people were as nice all over the world. We stayed inthe city and went out every day - roads were easy, thanks to the Garmin, and rushhour just does not compare. found things still massively cheap in comparison, but you are right property and land are going up all the time, not sure that the growth will sustain though. i could not identify one thing that I did not like - sorry the rose tinted spectacles are already on! Good luck! Just out of interest what removel company are you using?

Liz
Old Aug 13th 2007, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice

Just thought I would let you know that Figtree pocket was absaloutely gorgeous - can't go wrong. i would live there myself but could not find a private school that I was happy with in that area.
That's good to know Liz, thanks. We also like the bayside area, did you visit there and what did you think? Big priority for us will be a good primary school for our children, oldest has just turned 5 so will be going into a preschool year, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Keri
Old Aug 13th 2007, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Swooty will become famous soon enough

We are going out in January, and I am looking at North Lakes or Caboolture, they seem fairly safe bets.

Unless anyone can tell me otherwise ? ? ?
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:30 pm
Liz

Originally Posted by kerikerr
That's good to know Liz, thanks. We also like the bayside area, did you visit there and what did you think? Big priority for us will be a good primary school for our children, oldest has just turned 5 so will be going into a preschool year, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Keri
Hi Keri,

Sorry can't help you there. My daughter is going to be 5, and my first choice is Moreton Bay, second choice is Sheldon - both are fantastic, the rest personally I did not rate. Our criteria is choice school first, area later. If I can help you with anything more please let me know.

Liz
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:01 pm
Bexleyheath to Brisbane

sarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nice

Hi Keri,

Sorry can't help you there. My daughter is going to be 5, and my first choice is Moreton Bay, second choice is Sheldon - both are fantastic, the rest personally I did not rate. Our criteria is choice school first, area later. If I can help you with anything more please let me know.

Liz
We (Jon, Sarah and Scarlet (age 3!) are flying out to Brisbane on 26 Aug doing a stopover in Thailand and arrive in brisbane on 6 September. We will be looking around Aspley, Albany Creek etc. Can't wait ...!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice

Hi Keri,

Liz
Thanks Liz, did you go and see Ormiston college? I got info through about that school and it looked quite promising! Is Moreton Bay co-ed and I take it there is a fairly long waiting list?
Keri

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.