Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anybody done a round trip to oz & back in 7 days?

anybody done a round trip to oz & back in 7 days?

Old Apr 30th 2005, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant future
Default anybody done a round trip to oz & back in 7 days?

just found out our 2nd house sale has fell through today after 4 months of messing about,( suddenley realised they cant afford the house!!!), anyway we need to validate the visa by 7th July so looking at going over, but thinking of going fo a week as going to cost a lot to do 2 weeks, spending money hotels etc, has anybody else been for just a week, seems a long way to go but would be a cheaper option.!!

Hazel
Old Apr 30th 2005, 7:52 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anybody done a round trip to oz & back in 7 days?

Originally Posted by Hazel T
just found out our 2nd house sale has fell through today after 4 months of messing about,( suddenley realised they cant afford the house!!!), anyway we need to validate the visa by 7th July so looking at going over, but thinking of going fo a week as going to cost a lot to do 2 weeks, spending money hotels etc, has anybody else been for just a week, seems a long way to go but would be a cheaper option.!!

Hazel

Nearly I flew there from thailand stayed A week and flew home. Why not stop of somewhere in Asia for a couple of days hotel and food cost's nothing then fly on to Oz you'll enjoy it much more as you won't have to get over the jetlag as much so your time will be more productive
Old Apr 30th 2005, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice

Hazel
A bit more than a week. We flew out on a Friday to Perth, arrived on Sunday, stayed there until Wednesday, spent the whole of Wednesday from morning to evening at Perth airport (me and my 7 year old little girl, thank you Qantas for that), had an involuntary overnight in Melbourne (thanks Qantas again) and spent Thursday to Saturday in Canberra at my sisters marriage, flew back on Sunday. Back at home on Monday morning. It's tough, especially with children, but you can do it.

Lavinia
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:34 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hazel
Hi Hazel

Sorry to hear that your house sale has fallen through.
In answer to your question, yes, I had to do it in a week in Jan, our house sale didnt come in time and we had to go and validate and had hardly any holiday left at work not to mention cost.
It was actually ok and not half as bad as I thought it would be.
We flew to Brisbane via Kuala Lumpa which was a nice route to fly and arrived in Brisbane in the evening time which was also a plus rather than arriving early am in Australia which I personally find a killer and it takes me days to get over the jet lag, we had something to eat and then to bed.
We stayed in Brisbane City and just enjoyed a few days sight seeing and some time on the Man made beach and then ready to come home. (well not quite ready, but had to come home and try to sell the house) Would definately do it again if I had to. My husband was given 2 tickets to Australia by his employers last year and he and my brother-in-law did the same time length last November as they too didnt have any holiday left from work, and they took in Sydney AND Brisbane and my husband flew back to London at 5am and was back at the Airport working at 1.30pm.
Good Luck!
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:51 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hazel

Yes,
The wife booked the validation trip for a long weekend!
I'm thinking back to last year (hard enough when I can't remember what I did last week ) We flew out on a Friday, arrived on a Saturday and returned on Monday, arriving on a Wednesday I think.

It sucked! Goi fo a longer trip.

Bye
Mark.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 11:21 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Been many times for a day or two - not to be recommended! At this time of year the extra cost of staying in motels is not significant compared with the other costs so make the most of it!
Old Apr 30th 2005, 11:59 pm
wombat42

Hazel
You might as well stay just one night and save 6 nights hotel bills, if your only staying seven nights.

Old May 1st 2005, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few football supporters have done it, just for games etc, Last year we had a fellow on the CPFC.BBS, who was Aussie born and bred and had never been to England before, He went over for the play off final, Arrived on the Friday, and back on the Monday. There were probably quite a few West Ham and Palace Fans that went back specifically for that game.

Plus there was that non league, Exeter supporter in WA, who went to the home game for Exeter v Man utd, and The replay, both for 3 days at a time.
Old May 1st 2005, 1:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hazel
My mate has done it twice, spending a week in Oz each time - the first time we were touring Tassie together, and spent a week frantically driving round the island so I could show him as much as possible.
The second time was for my wedding, he could only get 10 days off work and it was another frantic week. I think you need to have good energy reserves, and a boss who will give you some leeway when you get back. Easier if you know you don;t get jetlag, but it certainly can be done.
Old May 1st 2005, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

I did it last September/October when I came over for an interview. I had a weekend to "recover" before spending 3 days with my current employers, then the following weekend "recovering" before going back to work on the Monday.

No seriously bad effect, just a little tired on the first day back to work.
Old May 1st 2005, 6:47 am
mamacares

amendoza is on a distinguished road

Hazel
Hazel,

We'll validate our visa this July 11 and will stay there for 8 days only. If only we can extend, then we will. With the money and time involved, more is better, if only we could. Where are you going? We're Melbourne-bound.

Cheers,
Hannah
Old May 1st 2005, 7:24 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I've done it the other way round and it confused the hell out of the body clock for 2 weeks.
Old May 1st 2005, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Hi Hazel

Sorry to hear that your house sale has fallen through.
In answer to your question, yes, I had to do it in a week in Jan, our house sale didnt come in time and we had to go and validate and had hardly any holiday left at work not to mention cost.
It was actually ok and not half as bad as I thought it would be.
We flew to Brisbane via Kuala Lumpa which was a nice route to fly and arrived in Brisbane in the evening time which was also a plus rather than arriving early am in Australia which I personally find a killer and it takes me days to get over the jet lag, we had something to eat and then to bed.
We stayed in Brisbane City and just enjoyed a few days sight seeing and some time on the Man made beach and then ready to come home. (well not quite ready, but had to come home and try to sell the house) Would definately do it again if I had to. My husband was given 2 tickets to Australia by his employers last year and he and my brother-in-law did the same time length last November as they too didnt have any holiday left from work, and they took in Sydney AND Brisbane and my husband flew back to London at 5am and was back at the Airport working at 1.30pm.
Good Luck!

Thanks to all your replies, feel a lot better now knowing other people have been over for just a week, and to look on the bright side at least we have the visa, is just this dam house we are having all the problems with.
Hazel
Old May 1st 2005, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Hazel

Hi Hazel,
I flew to Mackay for a little under a week in February, I flew out Friday night 25th Feb and got back Midday Sunday 6th March, (In Oz for 5 days) although pretty hectic I really enjoyed it, but I was on my own, I wouldn't fancy it with the family :scared:

Good luck on your house, hope it all turns out okay.