Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any VW nuts out there!!!

Any VW nuts out there!!!

Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Sue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the rough
Default Any VW nuts out there!!!

Hi all,
can any one help me, we have got our visa and are looking to move before October to brisbane
now here come the dilemma, OH wants to take his precious VW golf VR6, now its not the youngest car in the world actual reg 1996, and has more miles on the clock than you can shake a stick at, but its his baby, and is looked after better than me and the kids sometimes.
We know the cost of taking it will be more than it's worth, but if he can take it he will.
Now the questions how easy will it be to get parts, will we have problems getting it converted to use in oz,
Please help quick because now he is talking about having air con put in.
Thanks
Sue
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any VW nuts out there!!!

VW is well established here so getting serviced shouldn't be a problem.

But getting air con installed and shipping it here makes no economic sense. VW are (unlike other German brands) no more expensive here.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
VW is well established here so getting serviced shouldn't be a problem.

But getting air con installed and shipping it here makes no economic sense. VW are (unlike other German brands) no more expensive here.
I actually think they are cheaper here - certainly cheaper than the UK.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue McK
Hi all,
can any one help me, we have got our visa and are looking to move before October to brisbane
now here come the dilemma, OH wants to take his precious VW golf VR6, now its not the youngest car in the world actual reg 1996, and has more miles on the clock than you can shake a stick at, but its his baby, and is looked after better than me and the kids sometimes.
We know the cost of taking it will be more than it's worth, but if he can take it he will.
Now the questions how easy will it be to get parts, will we have problems getting it converted to use in oz,
Please help quick because now he is talking about having air con put in.
Thanks
Sue
I can relate to this. If the car means a lot to him then bring it. Sometimes, cars are more than a way of getting from A to B. In a world of bland motoring - and in Australia this is more true than a lot of other countries - driving something different is great.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

New cars here are similar to U.K prices but second hand cars are way more expensive. A 20 year old piece of s**t with a million kilometres will still fetch $5000 dollars, in the U.K it would have been crushed 10 years ago!

If its in good condition and you can stomach the cost of shipping etc, then bring it. It would also be quite unique, cant say that i've seen a VR6 here yet.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:05 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
New cars here are similar to U.K prices but second hand cars are way more expensive. A 20 year old piece of s**t with a million kilometres will still fetch $5000 dollars, in the U.K it would have been crushed 10 years ago!

If its in good condition and you can stomach the cost of shipping etc, then bring it. It would also be quite unique, cant say that i've seen a VR6 here yet.
They are around, but rare - more rare than UK. The senior sales rep at our local VW garage drives a VR6 (perk of the job I guess).

Donr drive one in NSW though - no fuel!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone
thanks very much, i'm sure oh will be delighted now has an excuse to spend more money on it,
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:08 am
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

hi

we are both vw lovers and have just sold our lovely vw campervan, which was hard. the OH has a 1988 golf gti, which is great fun, but thats also going, as we need to add the sale money to our funds. its gonna be a hard decision, as they are such great fun cars. good luck
bec
Old Mar 15th 2008, 2:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2

Yeah. Some of the 2nd hand prices are ridiculous. Someone at work is trying to sell a 1997 Falcon Wagon piece of shite for $8k. Less than half of that would be too much. I saw an ad for a 1998 Honda that was asking $2k. Same car in the UK would be under GBP100.