Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any tips on upgrading?

Any tips on upgrading?

Old Aug 31st 2004, 7:03 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Default Any tips on upgrading?

Hi all,

My mum and I fly out next Tuesday on our big adventure, stopping over at New York, Las Vegas, Honolulu, and Sydney on the way to Adelaide.

I was hoping we might get chance of a free upgrade or two en route. I'm partially disabled and mym mum is 75, so a bit of extra comfort would be nice.

Anyone got any tips on how to get upgrades? We're flying with BA, American Airlines and Qantas.

Thanks in advance,

Elaine M
Old Aug 31st 2004, 7:12 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any tips on upgrading?

Originally Posted by Elaine M
Hi all,

My mum and I fly out next Tuesday on our big adventure, stopping over at New York, Las Vegas, Honolulu, and Sydney on the way to Adelaide.

I was hoping we might get chance of a free upgrade or two en route. I'm partially disabled and mym mum is 75, so a bit of extra comfort would be nice.

Anyone got any tips on how to get upgrades? We're flying with BA, American Airlines and Qantas.

Thanks in advance,

Elaine M
Some airlines let you pay an additional fee at the gate if your natural charm hasn't worked.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 7:32 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

get rubber stamp made -approx 12 cm by 8 cm-containing words VIP CUSTOMER ~UPGRADE WHENEVER POSSIBLE.Stamp this on front of tickets.Place tickets in envelope.Seal envelope and hand in at checkin desk.
Hold your breath and try to look casual.

and next week we will learn how to make space rockets from washing up bottles.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:39 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seang
get rubber stamp made -approx 12 cm by 8 cm-containing words VIP CUSTOMER ~UPGRADE WHENEVER POSSIBLE.Stamp this on front of tickets.Place tickets in envelope.Seal envelope and hand in at checkin desk.
Hold your breath and try to look casual.

and next week we will learn how to make space rockets from washing up bottles.
Nice idea Seang....

Only trouble is we have e-tickets.

I'm sure people have said they got upgrades in the past; just wondered if there's a knack to it.

Elaine M
Old Aug 31st 2004, 9:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Nice idea Seang....

Only trouble is we have e-tickets.

I'm sure people have said they got upgrades in the past; just wondered if there's a knack to it.

Elaine M
Main trick is to pick a flight with empty seats in Business Cless - but its pot-luck. Your best chance actually comes down to the fact your mum is with you. Make sure she looks frail........! Worked for my mum, she had a mild asthma attack on a BA flight coming back from the USA, and was promptly put in Business Class for the rest of the flight!
Old Aug 31st 2004, 11:03 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Main trick is to pick a flight with empty seats in Business Cless - but its pot-luck. Your best chance actually comes down to the fact your mum is with you. Make sure she looks frail........! Worked for my mum, she had a mild asthma attack on a BA flight coming back from the USA, and was promptly put in Business Class for the rest of the flight!

Yes...go SFU or, suitable for upgrade. Dress smart but not OTT. and most importantly, dont ask for an upgrade. Arrive about one hour before the check in closes and PRAY.

Lucy
xx
Old Aug 31st 2004, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

shania20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lucyb
Yes...go SFU or, suitable for upgrade. Dress smart but not OTT. and most importantly, dont ask for an upgrade. Arrive about one hour before the check in closes and PRAY.

Lucy
xx
Good advice Lucy! Dont ask for an upgrade, and definitely dont start listing all the reasons why you would like one, like you are disabled, or ill, mum old etc - this just leads to lots of raised eyebrows from the check in staff, who actually arent interested!!!

Best time for free upgrade is when flights are busy, and they want you out of economy and into first or business. Wrong time of year for that now really, but you never know. Go to the smiley lady at check in, and let your mum do all the talking! Good luck!
Old Sep 1st 2004, 12:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get there just before gate closes, hope someone was sick and missed seats in business class, and hope for the best, also being polite and smart doesn't harm ya chances
Old Sep 1st 2004, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Ask for a window seat....

For what it's worth we arrived at check-in really early, were dressed comfortably (ie we weren't particularly smart - in the hope of an upgrade..), and we didn't ask for an upgrade (we actually forgot that they occasionally do)

I just asked for a window seat! We thought it was a bit strange that the check-in bloke had to check this with a colleague..... When he came back he said we'd be flying business class.

So I'm going to ask for a window seat from now on!!
Old Sep 1st 2004, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Are you in the frequent flyer program, and if so, can you do internet check-ins?

If so, at the earliest opportunity, check in via internet, and try to get the front seats in the economy class cabin (the ones they like to hold back for people with babies and the like).

Chances are they will upgrade you. If not, you will have the economy class seats with the best legroom to console yourselves