Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rossmoyne High and Riverton area??!!

Rossmoyne High and Riverton area??!!

Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

sarah d is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rossmoyne High and Riverton area??!!

Hi All
We have now received our visas and are trying to do as much research on both North and South of Perth as possible before we eventually arrive ( We are another family having major trouble selling our house.....7 months :scared: !!!)
We have heard that Rossmoyne is a particually good high school??? but would apreciate any more opinions on both the school and the surrounding suburbs
Many thanks in advance
Sarahxx
Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rossmoyne High and Riverton area??!!

Originally Posted by sarah d
Hi All
We have now received our visas and are trying to do as much research on both North and South of Perth as possible before we eventually arrive ( We are another family having major trouble selling our house.....7 months :scared: !!!)
We have heard that Rossmoyne is a particually good high school??? but would apreciate any more opinions on both the school and the surrounding suburbs
Many thanks in advance
Sarahxx
You picked the right girl to ask here. I was brought up in Shelley which is part of the Rossmoyne area. It is a fantastic school and has always been one which is considered a great one to get into. The areas around it are beautiful, right on the canning river so great for walks and lovely areas where they have communal bbqs you can use and wonderful facilities for the kids.
Riverton is also lovely but a lot of the houses are a bit older. Still nice just older. Shelley is quite an expensive area as is Rossmoyne but they are worth it if you can find something affordable.
try www.ljhooker.com.au
www.royweston.com.au
www.professionals.com.au
and www.raywhite.com.au

These are a few of the bigger real estate agents who should give you a good idea of the houses available.

Shelley Primary school is also excellent. I know I taught there as a supply teacher for a while. And hope to do so again when we return to Perth Jan 2005.

Any specific questions feel free to PM me. I know the area very well.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 3:05 am
Just Joined

ajec is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All
Many thanks in advance
Sarahxx

Hi Sarah

My understanding is that Rossmoyne High has a very good reputation and consequently there is high demand for places. If you're looking for somewhere to live and want your kids to go to that school, make sure your house is within the school's catchment area or there'll be little chance of gaining a place. North of the River, Churchlands and Subiaco have good reputations - not sure about schools further north.

Hope this helps!
Amanda
Old Sep 1st 2004, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

sarah d is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to you both for your replies

I have 3 children, but like alot of parents moving to Aus, am particularly worried about my 14 year old settling down and getting into as good a school as possible and as quickly as possible!!
My other two are 5 and 10 and I am quite confidant that both will cope well with the move, as long as my 10 year old is put into a soccer team he will be happy and the 5 year old will take over whatever school she goes to within the week
After hearing the good report on Rossmoyne High I will be sending them an e-mail and finding out abit more
Just another quick question, I know that you have said that the area is great for families but is there also plenty for teenagers to do,or get to easily,you know shopping malls and going to the pictures etc. typical teenager stuff!!

Thanks again for your replies and I will hold you to the offer of any more info if thats ok Ushas

Sarahxx
Old Sep 1st 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Many thanks to you both for your replies

I have 3 children, but like alot of parents moving to Aus, am particularly worried about my 14 year old settling down and getting into as good a school as possible and as quickly as possible!!
My other two are 5 and 10 and I am quite confidant that both will cope well with the move, as long as my 10 year old is put into a soccer team he will be happy and the 5 year old will take over whatever school she goes to within the week
After hearing the good report on Rossmoyne High I will be sending them an e-mail and finding out abit more
Just another quick question, I know that you have said that the area is great for families but is there also plenty for teenagers to do,or get to easily,you know shopping malls and going to the pictures etc. typical teenager stuff!!

Thanks again for your replies and I will hold you to the offer of any more info if thats ok Ushas

Sarahxx
There is a number of large shopping centres in the vicinity. Most can be accessed by bus. Southlands has a cinema, carousel is a huge one which has a cinema complex. You're actually not that far from the beaches and town of Fremantle. Again accessible by bus. As teens we often used to bus into Perth itself. You'll find that once your teen gets to know some people there's going to be plenty going on. I mean we used to hang out for hours at friends pools and stuff.