Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on Adelaide

Any thoughts on Adelaide

Old Oct 23rd 2002, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any thoughts on Adelaide

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has any views and or experiences of living in Adelaide? What are the job prospects for nursing and also IT? Is the cost of living and cost of housing really a lot cheaper?

Any information would be greatly appreciated just to add to my ever increasing headache of where do we live when we go!

Thanks

Ginny
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any thoughts on Adelaide

Originally posted by Ginny:
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has any views and or experiences of living in Adelaide? What are the job prospects for nursing and also IT? Is the cost of living and cost of housing really a lot cheaper?

Any information would be greatly appreciated just to add to my ever increasing headache of where do we live when we go!

Thanks

Ginny
Hi Ginny,
from a nurse to another - god knows where we'll end up?
We are dedinately going to validate early next year.
We're going to check out all states in Oz hopefully before we make our final decision.

Michaels been to Perth - have u been?
Shona x
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by micky:

Hi Ginny,
from a nurse to another - god knows where we'll end up?
We are dedinately going to validate early next year.
We're going to check out all states in Oz hopefully before we make our final decision.

Michaels been to Perth - have u been?
Shona x
Hi Shona,

Good to hear from you again. No neither of us has been to Perth and have not really considered it. Probably cause it's so far from anywhere but probably in a couple of months I'll be thinking about there as well. We need somewhere that has nursing jobs but I've been working towards trying to get into IT (might not happen) so I'd like that opportunity.

Just getting a little confused and panicky!

Anymore suggestions and comments please post them.

Thanks again

Ginny
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

Adelaide/Brisbane were our first choices.
The only reason we opted for Perth was cos his cousin lives there.
He went last August to visit. Took the camcorder - you need to see it - can be arranged - where in Scot are u?
Shona x
Old Oct 24th 2002, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Shona,

We're up in Dundee so not too far from you guys. Perth was tempting but we've got close friends in Sydney so we want to be reasonably close to them. Also I have family (Don't seem them much but there all the same) in Melbourne so it would be handy to be towards the East.

When are you hoping to validate, we're going at the begining of June so hopefully not too long.

Speak soon

Ginny
Old Oct 24th 2002, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

we're just starting the process (haven't even got the forms yet as we are still making decisions about agents) and were wondering about basing ourselves in Adelaide also. We had thought about Perth but felt it would be quite cut off as on the West coast by itself. Adelaide seems more central as an initial base, but I wish we could find out more about job prospects to help. Still we've probably got two years to wait anyway. It must be very exciting to be at the stage of nearly on your way! Good Luck!
Susan and Rod
p.s. Interesting to see so many scots on this board; Rod is originally from Paisley and I lived in the Oban and Glasgow are for about 12 years.
Old Oct 24th 2002, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi there,

Went to Oban for one night of our honeymoon, (Ahhhh!). What type of employment would you be looking for? We completed the application process on our own without using an agent but only because ours was very straightforward. I definately think it is worth it if your case is complicated but as for which agent I wouldn't know where to start. Try emailing Alan at GoMatilda. He seems to have had good reviews and posts a lot of info for free. Try searching I'm sure there's lots of info. Anything I can help with let me know.

Regards

Ginny
Old Oct 24th 2002, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ginny
Hi there,

Thanks

Ginny
Hi ya,

Here's a few sites for you to look at.

www.century21.com.au Realestate.

www.property.com.au "

www.johgraney.com.au "

www.sacentral.sa.gov.au

www.visitadelaidehills.com.au

Julie & Darren
Adelaide by early 2003
Old Oct 25th 2002, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Adelaide is currently suffering an enormous shortage of qualified nurses and the South Australian government is looking to recruit from overseas - so any nurses would not have any problems getting a job here.

As for IT I don't really know a lot about it but from what I hear from the IT guys at the college I attend....there is an overabundance of IT people in Adelaide. I think for IT professionals the eastern states are the best bet.

The job market in Adelaide is extremely competitive and if you are over 35 years of age and not prepared to be self-employed, then it can be difficult to find a job. Currently there are around 500 applicants for most jobs. Centrelink are using the figure of 479 applications for one chance at a job.

Adelaide itself is like a huge country town. User friendly and easy to get around. The houses are relatively cheaper than most other states, and amazingly cheaper than Sydney. The cost of living compared to the UK is lower but then so are our wages. The average yearly wage here is around $35000. To be honest I think that when you get used to the wage levels here the cost of food etc is actually quite high. Our power bills are to increase by a minimum of 25% at the beginning of next year. This of course means that the cost of living will rise further.

It does get cold here in winter, you will be surprised at just how cold you can be when it is 5 degrees. There is no central heating in the houses here.....gas wall furnaces are used instead. The summers can be incredibly hot, but most houses have ducted air con in them. The beaches are for the most part very beautiful and the water is clean. I live in the southern suburbs. By choice I did not want to live north of the city as I did not like it up there, and much prefer 'down south'.

Last edited by wizzywozza; Oct 25th 2002 at 11:49 am.
Old Oct 25th 2002, 8:29 pm
shellypuss

Hello Wizzywozza,

We are heading to Adelaide and my hubby is being nominated on the STNI scheme, we are hoping that this will help him to find a job quite quickly.

Your perspective on Adelaide is interesting and honest.

If you get the time please send an PM and give us any info boring or otherwise. We here in the Uk are just sponges desperate to suck up all things Oz.

Cheers,

Shelly

Old Oct 25th 2002, 8:41 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

We have friends who moved to Adelaide this may. They seem to have settled in really well. They have 4 children, 3 of which are at school and are happy. Sounds like a nice city, one worth considering.

Regards,

Cinderella
Old Oct 25th 2002, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
When you say 500 applicants per job, is this in a specific field like IT or general jobs? We have set our heart on Adelaide as we have friends there but will want to find work. I'm a manager currently. Interesting to get your views on ease of employment.
Cheers
Mash..

Originally posted by wizzywozza
Adelaide is currently suffering an enormous shortage of qualified nurses and the South Australian government is looking to recruit from overseas - so any nurses would not have any problems getting a job here.

As for IT I don't really know a lot about it but from what I hear from the IT guys at the college I attend....there is an overabundance of IT people in Adelaide. I think for IT professionals the eastern states are the best bet.

The job market in Adelaide is extremely competitive and if you are over 35 years of age and not prepared to be self-employed, then it can be difficult to find a job. Currently there are around 500 applicants for most jobs. Centrelink are using the figure of 479 applications for one chance at a job.

Adelaide itself is like a huge country town. User friendly and easy to get around. The houses are relatively cheaper than most other states, and amazingly cheaper than Sydney. The cost of living compared to the UK is lower but then so are our wages. The average yearly wage here is around $35000. To be honest I think that when you get used to the wage levels here the cost of food etc is actually quite high. Our power bills are to increase by a minimum of 25% at the beginning of next year. This of course means that the cost of living will rise further.

It does get cold here in winter, you will be surprised at just how cold you can be when it is 5 degrees. There is no central heating in the houses here.....gas wall furnaces are used instead. The summers can be incredibly hot, but most houses have ducted air con in them. The beaches are for the most part very beautiful and the water is clean. I live in the southern suburbs. By choice I did not want to live north of the city as I did not like it up there, and much prefer 'down south'.
Old Oct 26th 2002, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

am very interested in topic too. as a teacher are my prospects good? My husband and i liked the look of adelaide and would really like to settle there. any information on job prospects or even general information on adelaide would be really appreciated
thanks
susan and rod
Old Oct 30th 2002, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

for IT jobs look on jobnet.com.au or seek.com.au

I live in Sydney and I have just come back from Adelaide after doing a 3 week stint for a client down there.

Adelaide is a quiet place. Lots of restaurants and churches and lots of bored teenagers whooning up and down the main street in their souped up cars in the middle of the night. Salaries are low in Adelaide but then cost of living is as well. You can rent a 4 bed house in Adelaide for $200 a week...compared to a 2 bed flat in Sydney for $350ish a week.

I earn $90,000 in Sydney and the equivilent job in Adelaide pays $75,000.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

[

It does get cold here in winter, you will be surprised at just how cold you can be when it is 5 degrees. There is no central heating in the houses here.....gas wall furnaces are used instead. ][/QUOTE] It certainly does.Last october (spring)when we visited I went to see an evening match adelaide city force,just to get my weekly fix of soccer.After 10 mins at the top of the main stand I was pelted by kamikazi moths and hypothermia was starting to set in so I moved to ground level.I had been warned of the cold but never thought it would feel so cold as it had been 75 during the day.I had my car heater on all the way back to glenelg.Still loved it though, 4 distinctive seasons in adelaide will suit us.