Reload this Page >

Any teachers out there?

Any teachers out there?

Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

paddyclamp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any teachers out there?

Hi

Was wondering what the demand was like for teachers in Oz?

We're both high school maths!
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

chedac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any teachers out there?

I think it depends on where you are willing to go, I am going out in Jan to teach in WA through the scheme which the WA government are running.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Originally Posted by paddyclamp
Hi

High school maths (and science) teachers have been in demand for many years, i cant imagine that has changed recently
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Originally Posted by chedac
I think it depends on where you are willing to go, I am going out in Jan to teach in WA through the scheme which the WA government are running.
Where will you be teaching chedac?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by confuzzled
Where will you be teaching chedac?
If you go to the jobs bit on the forum you will see a teachers one for Oz...its pretty good for info and you will get loads of replies...

PP
Here it is...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80

Last edited by plantpot; Aug 16th 2008 at 4:44 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

paddyclamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx for your replies. That link was v useful!

Thanx
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

chedac is an unknown quantity at this point

not sure where I will be yet, they sponcer you to work for them and then send you where there is a job, will be told in Dec
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Hi

From my experience in SE Qld you should have no problems finding employment for secondary Maths. Good luck!
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Maths is pretty much in demand everywhere in Aus. WA 457 is remote or rural areas and you don't get the choice in where you live and have to comply with all regs for 2 years satisfactory service then they will put you though for PR visa. I know 1 lady who went this route and hated the head so left (back to UK) and one who's hubby is on 457 they love it, so maybe it's hit or miss?
If my OH's teaching was in short supply we'd be going to Vic as that's where our rellies are, but as will be difficult to find work, will go to WA for 3 or 4 years then see what we want then .
If you don't fancy remote/rural areas in WA and having no choice in where, I'd say got for PR visa and go to where you want to live
Old Aug 17th 2008, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

SJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Maths is pretty much in demand everywhere in Aus. WA 457 is remote or rural areas and you don't get the choice in where you live and have to comply with all regs for 2 years satisfactory service then they will put you though for PR visa. I know 1 lady who went this route and hated the head so left (back to UK) and one who's hubby is on 457 they love it, so maybe it's hit or miss?
If my OH's teaching was in short supply we'd be going to Vic as that's where our rellies are, but as will be difficult to find work, will go to WA for 3 or 4 years then see what we want then .
If you don't fancy remote/rural areas in WA and having no choice in where, I'd say got for PR visa and go to where you want to live
Hi
I am a Primary teacher working in WA on a PR visa. If you choose to teach in WA the educ dept policy is to send you to remote/rural areas for at least 2 years whether you have PR or not. Finding a job here is not as easy as in UK, at present I have a job at a local Primary school but its not permanent. You will not get a permanent job unless you are prepared to go to the country. Instead the dept use you as quick fix supply but be prepared to travel. PM me if you want anymore advice
Old Aug 17th 2008, 1:29 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

not sure where I will be yet, they sponcer you to work for them and then send you where there is a job, will be told in Dec
You're not an English teacher by any chance?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

Hi

Hi,
Have a look at seek.au and see what jobs are being advertised. It might give you an idea of how many vacancies there are.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

ah! ok, fair enough, good luck with it all.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:59 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Another option is to try the private system. You can choose where you want to work, the conditions are generally very good and in some cases (certainly in the Anglican schools) the pay is better than the state system. I am a high school IT and maths teacher,IT being my main subject. When I was offered this job my deputy told me that good maths teachers are like gold dust and that they tend to snap up 'Pom' teachers as he reckons we are better trained.

Try the link below for a look at what is around at the momnent.

http://www.ais.wa.edu.au/jobs-independent-schools/

If you have an area in mind just contact the local private scools and find out what's available, that is what I did and within a week I was doing relief, a week after that I had been offered a long service leave contact and a couple of weeks into that I was offered a full time, permanent position. I came out here fully expecting to teach primary but now that I am working with the senior kids I would never go back to primary-I love it!

Good Luck