Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Victim of crime for the first time in Aus

Victim of crime for the first time in Aus

Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:15 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Victim of crime for the first time in Aus

I went on the boat this arvo to start her up and check everything over and there was stuff everywhere. The marine radio is missing and the transducer (sensor) for the fishfinder is broken (probably used as a step). What makes it really annoying is that both are only worth about $75 new. Both are ten years old and I can't imagine them getting more than $10 for the radio. Nothing else has been taken even the brand new fenders, not that I left anything valuable on there. It must just be kids who don't know what they are looking for. The hassle of buying and fixing replacements is far worse than the cost of the damage / theft.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all
Default Re: Victim of crime for the first time in Aus

gutted for ya

hope you get the bits you need again cheap.....

to put your mind at ease i can virtually guarantee it will be kids bored and probably looking for shelter whilst it was rainin and not that you was targeted personally.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 1:16 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by worzel
I went on the boat this arvo to start her up and check everything over and there was stuff everywhere. The marine radio is missing and the transducer (sensor) for the fishfinder is broken (probably used as a step). What makes it really annoying is that both are only worth about $75 new. Both are ten years old and I can't imagine them getting more than $10 for the radio. Nothing else has been taken even the brand new fenders, not that I left anything valuable on there. It must just be kids who don't know what they are looking for. The hassle of buying and fixing replacements is far worse than the cost of the damage / theft.
Thats Carramar for you if you lived across the road in tapping youd be right Seriously though i have been in carramar for a year now and apart from the odd bit of graffiti i haveencountered no problems. Have just brought my boat into carramar today it has been off rustic for a year while we were renting now im worried :curse:
Good luck with putting it right
dave
Old Aug 17th 2008, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Is it not inevitable that crime will increase as more Brits move over? Place a good old foot trap next to your boat so it rips off the feet of future trespassers. ps remember yourself! Sorry to hear your disppointing news mate.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 9:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Is it not inevitable that crime will increase as more Brits move over?

There are plenty of home bred Australian criminals.

Crime rates are similar in both countries.....why will it be any different if more Brits move there?

A bit of reality is needed here methinks.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:00 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...-total-victims

...but if you look at the number of crimes per capita - Australia doesn't appear!

Lies, damned lies, etc.....
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad it's pretty minor though, could have been a lot worse.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:34 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers. We also discovered they took my wife's small cheap fishing road but left my sturdy boat rod which was more valuable so they had no idea what they were after. Just kids no doubt.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:03 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Grayling

There are plenty of home bred Australian criminals.

Crime rates are similar in both countries.....why will it be any different if more Brits move there?

A bit of reality is needed here methinks.
Yeah. I spent 18 years of my adult life in the UK and had: One house break in, 2 car break ins, 2 car vandalisms and 2 thefts of wheel trims. In 3 years in Perth this is the first event. So they average out about the same.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:14 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear Worzel, must be kids and local ones too. It isn't like you live on the the main drag.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:28 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I think its sad that crime is such a part of our everyday lives and how we have been affected by it or know someone who has.

My experience has been:

1. Intruder tried to get in to our house - dog scared them off.

2. Victim of identity fraud - twice

3. Dad had his house burgled

4. Dad bashed at his local train station by some blokes

5. Mum burgled while she was asleep in the house

6. Attempted break in at my sisters - he climbed through the bathroom window - her screaming scared him off.

7. My brother badly bashed and beaten up by local MP's son - police lose files, although brother got some compo.

8. Sister badly attacked at work and beaten unconcsious.

9. Friend burgled while in her bed and threatened with meat cleaver

10. Friend burgled 3 times

Crime happens everywhere but what I find really patronising is when people say 'Oh I went to the UK and wasn't attacked/mugged/bashed' - that doesnt mean it doesnt happen because when it does happen to either yourself or someone you love it is very real indeed.

Some are lucky enough to never be affected by crime and others not so, I personally don't give a rats arse about statistics - what I do care about is how things affect me and mine and it only needs to happen once - that is bad enough.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

the worst thing is the feeling someone's intruded into your life.... I remember when my mini got broken into, probably kids again as they took speakers worth about £20 from Argos...! and nothing else, but the feeling was horrible, took a long time to get over that...

sending you some k worzel
Old Aug 18th 2008, 5:16 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear, Worzel. Hope you get it fixed soon and that it was a one-off.

Gina