Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any South Africans out there....?

Any South Africans out there....?

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

happybunny79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any South Africans out there....?

Hi there,

Been reading this site religiously for the last few months and want to say a big thank you to people for posting advice and tips....it has been such a HUGE help in the planning process!

We are a South African couple who have been living in London for the past 6 years and have now decided to make the move down under. We fly out on the 16th Jan, spend 2 weeks in South Africa and then fly to Sydney on the 29th (2 days before validation date.....eeekkk!)

We have no idea where we are going to live (hoping to be around the GC, Brisbane or Sunshine Coast), no idea what jobs we are going to do (got in on husbands trade - mechanical fitter) and no idea what we have got ourselves in for!

Any other Saffa's out there?! I know this is for British Expats but half of South Africa now live in the UK so chances are high that there could be some on here...!

Last edited by happybunny79; Oct 2nd 2008 at 8:08 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any South Africans out there....?

The other half live around Brisbane and Perth so you will find plenty of SA people around.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Hi there
Yep - we are plentiful around the Gold Coast Area.
We lived in Durban - and moved to the UK in 1996, spent the best part of 11 yrs moving between South Africa and the UK - trying to get the balance right.
Think we have now found what we have been looking for.
Pm me if you want to chat. It's a great place to live.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

yup, I am a SA'n. Lived in UK for nearly 10 years and then moved to sydney this past July. Originally from PMB.

Need any help just shout
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

Me too. Lived in Dubai for 15 years and moved to Sydney in October 2007. We are loving it here.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

Me too. I was born in Zambia but spent most of my childhood in Joeys. Lived in Dubai for 15 years and moved to Sydney in October 2007. We are loving it here.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pisces
Me too. I was born in Zambia but spent most of my childhood in Joeys. Lived in Dubai for 15 years and moved to Sydney in October 2007. We are loving it here.
Hands up.

Hubby is a born and bred Saffa, I went to school there. We moved to Brisbane four months ago having previously lived in SA (Cape Town) for three years and prior to that in the UK (SE London) for 12 years.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

and there are loads in Geelong (I used to work with a fair few).

Must be a fair number of Saffas in Melbourne too as there is a dedicated Saffa shop in Caulfield. You are not alone!
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

My parents migrated to Zimbabwe when I was 11 and so I spent my high school years there and in Zambia although it was Rhodesia then, my brother was born in Zim.

Still have some yarpie in my accent.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

happybunny79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
My parents migrated to Zimbabwe when I was 11 and so I spent my high school years there and in Zambia although it was Rhodesia then, my brother was born in Zim.

Still have some yarpie in my accent.
Great to know there are so many of us Saffa's around!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Hi !!! Another South African here ! My husband and I left SA in late 2000 and have been living on a small island in the Caribbean for the last 8 years. We are hoping to be in Brisbane / GC in mid 2009.
Our family all still live in SA - my family in Jhb, and my husband's is now between Dbn and CT (both his daughters from his 1st marriage live in CT).
We have a 5 year old who was born on Aruba.

Nice thread...

Nix