Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Social Workers on here from Brisbane Please

Any Social Workers on here from Brisbane Please

Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

mark&kathy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Social Workers on here from Brisbane Please

We (me, OH and 3 kids) all have our 136 Visa's and have accepted an offer on the house so we are hopefully going to be catching that long awaited flight in March roughly. We are clear about wanting to move to Brsbane and have a few ideas about the area's but any help from a real life Social Worker to chat to would be so very much appreciated. I applied as a Welfare Worker to make sure I didn't get refused but I am a Qualified Social Worker in the UK. I know that you need a degree there now as you do in the Uk but what real chance do I have of getting a job with an old DipSW? any help greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 4:34 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice
Default Re: Any Social Workers on here from Brisbane Please

Congratulations on selling your house. I'm a social worker and planning to return to Brisbane as soon as I sell my house, which is taking a very long time!

From my personal experience finding work without a social work degree in Brisbane is very difficult! There is work out there but poorly paid. Other states accept the Dipsw without a degree such as; ACT, NSW, VIC AND SA.

I completed an MA in SW and now have AASW eligibility which allows me to work as a social worker in QLD.

You may have to do unqualified work to start whilst you convert your qualification. Charles Sturt Uni do a conversion course by distance learning.

If you have a degree in a related field you may be able to work as a Child Safety Officer (child protection).

What field do you work in?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Big Sky
Congratulations on selling your house. I'm a social worker and planning to return to Brisbane as soon as I sell my house, which is taking a very long time!

From my personal experience finding work without a social work degree in Brisbane is very difficult! There is work out there but poorly paid. Other states accept the Dipsw without a degree such as; ACT, NSW, VIC AND SA.

I completed an MA in SW and now have AASW eligibility which allows me to work as a social worker in QLD.

You may have to do unqualified work to start whilst you convert your qualification. Charles Sturt Uni do a conversion course by distance learning.

If you have a degree in a related field you may be able to work as a Child Safety Officer (child protection).

What field do you work in?
I have worked in child protection for the past 4 years as a field social worker. Before becomming a Social Worker I used to manage children's homes and have lots of experience in this fireld as well as qualifications. I hold the NVQ level 4 plusthe city and guilds assessors qualification to teach at this level. I was also looking at the shortage of childcare in Brisbane and wondered how difficult it would be to set up a business doing this.
Good luck with the house. We have not signed contracts yet with out buyer so I am still really nervous.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:23 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice
Smile Re: Any Social Workers on here from Brisbane Please

I would make contact with the Department of Child Safety. With your experience in child protection I'm sure they would be interested in you. They do have a Child Safety Support Officer role which you may be able to do.

Queensland Health are recruiting for social workers with experience in adolescent mental health and child protection.

Here are the links:
http://www.childsafety.qld.gov.au/de...cts/index.html

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/workforus/default.asp

Good luck
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Big Sky
I would make contact with the Department of Child Safety. With your experience in child protection I'm sure they would be interested in you. They do have a Child Safety Support Officer role which you may be able to do.

Queensland Health are recruiting for social workers with experience in adolescent mental health and child protection.

Here are the links:
http://www.childsafety.qld.gov.au/de...cts/index.html

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/workforus/default.asp

Good luck
Thank-you for your help. Have you actually lived in Brisbane and/or worked there? Could I PM you for some info?
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:11 pm
Professional Dreamer!

I have lived and worked in Brisbane. When I first lived there five years ago I struggled to find work in social work and returned to the UK and completed an MA in Social Work, was reassessed by the AASW and now have membership. A year ago I went back to Brisbane for a few months to extend my visa and did some work for the Dept of Child Safety. I'm confident that when I return this year I will find work.

If there is anything else I can help you with please send me a pm.

BS