Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Poms thinking of going back to the UK?

Any Poms thinking of going back to the UK?

Old Aug 23rd 2014, 9:48 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Poms thinking of going back to the UK?

I am a city person, but I don't like crowded cities.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 11:42 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I can see myself living in the UK again. I go back about 3 times a year now.

However working in the UK is not on the agenda!

Ideally it would be for up to 6 months maybe April to September, the rest of the time in Margaret River.

That's the plan anyway.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I can see myself living in the UK again. I go back about 3 times a year now.

However working in the UK is not on the agenda!

Ideally it would be for up to 6 months maybe April to September, the rest of the time in Margaret River.

That's the plan anyway.

I'm so pleased I've visited Margaret River, it really is a great spot. So I can understand why you would want to do that.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Cities, especially Australian cities should really invest heavily and good public transport connections between great spots out of the cities and the cities themselves. Like London, allows people to live in the country side, even the coast and commute to work. Take Sydney as an example. Its a real shame that its not really practical to live in Newcastle, Wollongong, Blue Mountains, and Southern Highlands and commute to the city on a daily basis.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Cities, especially Australian cities should really invest heavily and good public transport connections between great spots out of the cities and the cities themselves. Like London, allows people to live in the country side, even the coast and commute to work. Take Sydney as an example. Its a real shame that its not really practical to live in Newcastle, Wollongong, Blue Mountains, and Southern Highlands and commute to the city on a daily basis.

Totally agree, only way we're going to get that though is to substantially increase Australias population so as to pay some of the costs through taxes. This federal system has been a real blight on Australias infrastructure uptil this point. Now they need to sort it.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 6:33 am
Just Joined

needafriend is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! What a subject for our site - the awful public transport system here! An abysmal failure. You really have to have a car to live in this country. Having said that, I think there's no resolution to the problem. Its really dead in the water??
Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by needafriend
Wow! What a subject for our site - the awful public transport system here! An abysmal failure. You reanully have to have a car to live in this country. Having said that, I think there's no resolution to the problem. Its really dead in the water??
If you live really close in either of the two main Cities, then you can get away without a car, but thats confined to a limited number of people.

The only way to resolve it is to subtantially increase the population, and pay for it with taxes.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Just butting in here! ..and getting back to Blackcab's question...

Sounds like you have classic ex-pat fever BC....Having been a serial ex-pat for over 30 yrs...most of which was spent in the Netherlands(so another language as well) I can feel your anxiety and know just how it feels to make the pro and cons lists...We would do that every few yrs as well....until....It got too late to change the kids schools and curriculum and we were stuck in place we both disliked..more than liked...We made a decision..to just get on with it for the kids and concentrate on the Pro list..and miracle..It worked..we joined in everything we could..(we both speak fluent Dutch now) and quit thinking about the past..It hadn't stood still while we were away and the UK changed out of all recognition from the place we left...Getting more money doesn't cover the whole issue..and believe me ways will be found to relieve you of any extra income if you venture anywhere near London!!lol...

From my high perch of wisdom hood!!lol...with D's in London (altho just moved here to the Algarve) and in Seattle...I would say that first move...out to OZ...has probable spoilt you and your family for life now..(depends on how long you have been away from the UK)
Its given you and your family a whole new perspective on life..and the UK will no longer be able to entirely live up to it again....Rose coloured glass's and homesickness's only carry you so far...In the end...as parents...its the kids futures you have to put first...If you have pots of money..a brilliant job...can live in the home counties.(work in London)..guarantee a place in good schools..then I would say go for it...If just to give them good options in the future. in the British system ..If not..Then for me a younger, less class ridden system with many more routes to good jobs would appear to be better and lets face it..more fun for your family..You as parents don't come into it anymore...sorry....
My family are spread all around the globe..I have a sister in Oz..been there 45yrs...gone through all your going through...Kids..bright.. but not brilliant...destined for ordinary jobs lets say,..If I superimposed them on Britain...they would be working in the local supermarket/hairdressing/dog grooming...installing double glazing.Insurance clerk etc etc.all good honest employment...But life would be hard...probable wouldn't own a home...commuting from grey suburbs...etc etc...In Oz they all own their own homes..plus land..(plus horses/a boat)...surf/sail/horseback ride/you name it...The opportunities and the rewards are there

However ..as one poster put it...It doesn't matter a darn what we think..If you can't stand it..and you can afford to move...and you feel you have given it enough time (5yrs before the average ex-pat begins to relinquish the hold his/her homeland has on them) then..go home..Being miserable all the time is no asset to your (temp) adopted country....Good luck

Last edited by GeniB; Aug 24th 2014 at 7:37 am.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 8:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

None of the above describes what we have found in the UK but I suppose we are different. Australia certainly isnt 'better' for young people or families generally and I can tell you that Australia has changed beyond all recognition in the last 10, 20, 30 years. There are plenty of opportunities in this country and certainly no less than in Australia. I also personally see no evidence day to day of a class ridden society but it has never obsessed me as it does some.
This idea that everyone in Australia owns their own home, boat, horses etc whereas in the UK they wouldnt is just ridiculous especially when you consider both countries have virtually identical home ownership rates.
To the OP, there is no way we would have taken our kids out of Utopia to a life in the grey suburbs if we thought it would in any way be detrimental to them. 2 years on they are loving it and not missing out on anything.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 10:24 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Though you do seem to look back a lot, spending countless hours on the Australian groups mostly trying to justify to others your reasons for leaving Australia.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 10:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

It's subjective. Life in Australia isn't all beaches and boats for many people. It's not all chocolate box village in the UK either so it's a case of finding the right place for your family.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 11:21 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

ROFL

i just can't stand the crowded urban places in other countries.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 5:15 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Though you do seem to look back a lot, spending countless hours on the Australian groups mostly trying to justify to others your reasons for leaving Australia.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

sun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paulry
Yep... I've noticed that too...
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sun23
Yep... I've noticed that too...
These things work both ways

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.