Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Poms thinking of going back to the UK?

Any Poms thinking of going back to the UK?

Old Aug 14th 2014, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Any Poms thinking of going back to the UK?

We went out for the day yesterday with an English family, they are returning back to the UK, long story, but work and friends are there main reasons. They have given it two years and are dreading the heat and humidity, plus its been really cold this winter. They cannot settle here, it will never feel like home to them.

So we got chatting last night as a family, and we are now considering going back, only thinking about it but we only have to give twoo weeks notice at work and on our house. So we could be back by the end of September. Just wondering is there anyone else considering gboing back to the UK, or have gone back and are still there? Any regrets or anything. Australia has good points and bad points, we did a list last night and the bad points for us as a family slightly outweigh its good points.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 3:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Poms thinking of going back to the UK?

Originally Posted by blackcab
We went out for the day yesterday with an English family, they are returning back to the UK, long story, but work and friends are there main reasons. They have given it two years and are dreading the heat and humidity, plus its been really cold this winter. They cannot settle here, it will never feel like home to them.

So we got chatting last night as a family, and we are now considering going back, only thinking about it but we only have to give twoo weeks notice at work and on our house. So we could be back by the end of September. Just wondering is there anyone else considering gboing back to the UK, or have gone back and are still there? Any regrets or anything. Australia has good points and bad points, we did a list last night and the bad points for us as a family slightly outweigh its good points.
You gotta do what you gotta do

Other people's experiences and opinions are worthless as everyone is different

Good luck
Old Aug 14th 2014, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It's your life and your decision - if the stars align and it looks like a move forward then make it. If they don't then stay put. I was wanting to move for the last 10 yrs at least but my Aussie DH refused to contemplate even more than a 2 week holiday - fast forward nearly 3 yrs and circumstances changed and I never returned to Aus from a holiday - love love love it! I've got my life and my physical and mental health back but that is just me! Others' mileage may vary and unfortunately there are no crystal balls to be found in Target these days. You can only make the best decision you can armed with the best information you have in the day. Good luck with whichever decision you make.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Give us over 2 Mill AUD in disposable and the ability to spend upto 5 months family time per year in Aus and we'd consider it.

Which comes down to how much I'll get for my gaffe v the cost of purchase anywhere nice in the UK when we eventually retire. The longer I work, the more realistic that goal becomes, but the less I'll be able to enjoy it..... It's tricky weighing up these retirement options..... It all might get forced though with the way Aus Post is going... any less than 4 years and it definitely wont happen.

I do miss Europe and when I see things like those Austrian Alps, which I've never clapped eyes on, The UK's geographical location is quite a pull.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 6:56 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Give us over 2 Mill AUD in disposable and the ability to spend upto 5 months family time per year in Aus and we'd consider it.

Which comes down to how much I'll get for my gaffe v the cost of purchase anywhere nice in the UK when we eventually retire. The longer I work, the more realistic that goal becomes, but the less I'll be able to enjoy it..... It's tricky weighing up these retirement options..... It all might get forced though with the way Aus Post is going... any less than 4 years and it definitely wont happen.

I do miss Europe and when I see things like those Austrian Alps, which I've never clapped eyes on, The UK's geographical location is quite a pull.

I've been looking at France as a retirement option - property is inexpensive and I'm also a bit of a Francophile, though it's going to be another 25 years I suspect.

Have looked at heading back to London - I could nearly doubly my income with a London based job - but not sure if it's worth the agravation - probably it is financially - but I should sit and do the maths.

S
Old Aug 14th 2014, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I've been looking at France as a retirement option - property is inexpensive and I'm also a bit of a Francophile, though it's going to be another 25 years I suspect.

Have looked at heading back to London - I could nearly doubly my income with a London based job - but not sure if it's worth the agravation - probably it is financially - but I should sit and do the maths.

S

I really like the idea of France as well, we've had plenty of chats about it at home here. However I'd have to spend more time than the probable total of 8-10 weeks in my life visiting France to be totally sure. I was very surprised on my last trip there, circa 5 years after ago after a 25 year gap, re how much I could understand and make myself understood... 18 months and I reckon I'd be quite well assimilated. Has a magic feel to it, for me at least... France.

Great for Europe, which is my main motivation... and popping back to the UK for sibling family and cousin visits.

The Government pensions (Aus or UK) I'd be able to qualify for would be a total nightmare though... Probably none from Aus.. The trick with Aus is to get at least a Pension card.... even with miniscual pension.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 14th 2014 at 7:10 am.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to give it a couple years here first. My lifestyle has certainly decreased however this is due to the factors involved in moving. I'll see how I feel in a year or two.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
Have looked at heading back to London - I could nearly doubly my income with a London based job. I don't know what you have to think about then:-) If I were you, I'd book a flight for tomorrow. You could probably retire in half the time and France is so close these days.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 9:00 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcab

We did it just over 2 years ago and it was the best thing we did. Our Brisbane born and bred kids love it here and are getting on really well and we just feel so much more relaxed at at 'home'. I grew up in Australia and love many aspects of life there but it just isnt enough. You have to do what is best for you. The economy here is doing well and the recession is just a memory. Do what feels best.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the moving back to the UK thread.

For me, the thought of going back to live is an absolute NO.
I don't love it to bits here, and I miss some things about the UK, but I couldn't live there again.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 10:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Yes. The MBTTUK part of the forum is just that, people moving back from all over the world. Heaps of advice, experiences, thoughts on there, plus the odd barney to keep it interesting It's a great resource BC, check it out!

Last edited by old.sparkles; Aug 14th 2014 at 11:11 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips

For me, the thought of going back to live is an absolute NO.
I don't love it to bits here, and I miss some things about the UK, but I couldn't live there again.
But a lot of the time people are just miserable because they are Expats : If he can earn double the amount in London and loves France why not. Let's face it, nobody goes to Australia for culture, or cheap living. Most of the time it's people who like the sun and couldn't find a job in California, so they'll always be miserable coming back and will find a reason to moan once it rains. If you didn't have a good job in Australia, you'd have a different opinion. With a good job in the UK, you can certainly have a decent quality of life and the rest of Europe is so close. Overall Northern Europe has a great climate, no natural disasters, or venomous animals.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:32 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
With a good job in the UK, you can certainly have a decent quality of life and the rest of Europe is so close. Overall Northern Europe has a great climate, no natural disasters, or venomous animals.
I agree with this totally, you dont actually need a lot of money to have a decent quality of life here, an average wage will certainly give you that in most parts of the country and as you say Europe is on the doorstep. There are some venomous animals though
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Overall Northern Europe has a great climate, no natural disasters, or venomous animals.
No floods, storm surges, earthquakes, tail-end of hurricanes, tornadoes.....
Old Aug 14th 2014, 11:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No floods, storm surges, earthquakes, tail-end of hurricanes, tornadoes.....
Maybe he was thinking more about major earthquakes, volcanoes that sort of thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.