Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any plumbers out there ?

Any plumbers out there ?

Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any plumbers out there ?

We are in a rented house in Perth and wherever there is a water pipe it sounds like there is a tap running elsewhere. There is nothing on - no pool hose or outside tap but in the bathrooms and kitchen there is a definite sound like in the UK when you'd turn the outside tap/hose on.

Any suggestions, please, before I ring the agent ?

Last edited by elmtree; Mar 30th 2008 at 1:39 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

mcnivend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any plumbers out there ?

Hello - maybe you have a leak behind a panel that you will not see, and it could be leaking into the foundations of the property.

Try this for me -:

1) Turn your main stopcock off into your property. That's your main water supply. Give it about 10-15 minutes to drain anything that could be used as a storage device.

The noise should now STOP, if this is the case you have a leak behind access panels.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcnivend
Hello - maybe you have a leak behind a panel that you will not see, and it could be leaking into the foundations of the property.

Try this for me -:

1) Turn your main stopcock off into your property. That's your main water supply. Give it about 10-15 minutes to drain anything that could be used as a storage device.

The noise should now STOP, if this is the case you have a leak behind access panels.

Thanks. Are the stopcocks in Aus under the kitchen sink ? If there was a leak would I still hear that sound in 5 different rooms rooms ???

ps thanks for the reply.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by elmtree
Thanks. Are the stopcocks in Aus under the kitchen sink ? If there was a leak would I still hear that sound in 5 different rooms rooms ???

ps thanks for the reply.

Where are the stopcocks in Aussie houses ????
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

mcnivend is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know where they are in Aussie houses, i'm not coming over untill xmas. I presume they are under the sink, if they are not, maybe you could ask a neighbour.

- Under the sink, street, or loft. Beware which one you are turning off, make sure your not turning your other supplys off.

If it's off, you shouldn't be able to hear a thing. In any room.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by elmtree
Where are the stopcocks in Aussie houses ????
In Perth you should find it out on the front lawn somewhere. Either in a box above ground or under small man hole cover. I don't think you will find many indoors unless in older properties.
Dan