Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any plasterers in Perth!!

Any plasterers in Perth!!

Old Apr 19th 2006, 1:27 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any plasterers in Perth!!

Hi

Does anyone have any contacts for an experienced plasterer in Perth if so send me a PM!!
It seems its not what you know but who you know ive only just started ringing round but any contacts or info would be greatly appreciated!!
Ive run my own succsessful business in the uk for the last 5 years but have been plastering for the past 22 years so know what im doing!!

Cheers
Old Apr 19th 2006, 1:41 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any plasterers in Perth!!

Kris, sent you a pm

Tracey
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Hi

Does anyone have any contacts for an experienced plasterer in Perth if so send me a PM!!
It seems its not what you know but who you know ive only just started ringing round but any contacts or info would be greatly appreciated!!
Ive run my own succsessful business in the uk for the last 5 years but have been plastering for the past 22 years so know what im doing!!

Cheers
depends on what kind of plastering you do, you can either set as in skimming back in the uk or floating as in rendering back in the uk. sand finish is basicaly smooth render if you can do any of them then you are laughing. Iv been here 5 months and been setting and floating for the past 10 weeks and its done slightly different. wait till you see "wierd". just get the west australian newspaper on a thursday and saturday look at the job pages and away you go there are 50 60 jobs everyweek loads of money if your quick at it. We are renting in Kinross north of Perth, work on my doorstep. Oh and dont worry about your papers all bull never been asked as long as you can do the job your hired good luck let me know how you get on.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 4:38 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Any insight into the " Wierd" on how its done over there, Just thinking on how different can it be!

Suspense is killing me

Originally Posted by monkeymark
depends on what kind of plastering you do, you can either set as in skimming back in the uk or floating as in rendering back in the uk. sand finish is basicaly smooth render if you can do any of them then you are laughing. Iv been here 5 months and been setting and floating for the past 10 weeks and its done slightly different. wait till you see "wierd". just get the west australian newspaper on a thursday and saturday look at the job pages and away you go there are 50 60 jobs everyweek loads of money if your quick at it. We are renting in Kinross north of Perth, work on my doorstep. Oh and dont worry about your papers all bull never been asked as long as you can do the job your hired good luck let me know how you get on.
Old May 6th 2006, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
Any insight into the " Wierd" on how its done over there, Just thinking on how different can it be!

Suspense is killing me
Sorry took so long for a reply, it's wierd because you use a plastic bag full of water and a stuff they call putty Which in the uk was something you kept glass in with or made pots with, but this is white and sloppy and sealed in a bag which looks a bit like a pillow. Depending on how big a mix you want although the ozys call it a gage (I think thats how you spell it) you cut the bag and pour the contents into a large mixing bowl then with you're mixer which is the same back in the UK, a whisk, you gently mix at first until light and fluffy and put on a slow gentle simmer at gas mark 5, i'm joking, No sorry, mix untill blended then you add your Hardwall. Not the same as UK this again is pure white and like flour. Pour that in to the putty and mix while adding a little bit more water (as required), untill same sort of texture as Thistle or carlight finish back in the Uk, or for those of you who are not plasterers thick moose or slightly thicker Mc donalds milkshake.
You then apply to the wall from the bucket or mixing bowl more or less the same way as the UK but taking a bit more care as to getting most of the lines out and as flat as poss. Only troweling twice as it tends to go off pretty quick esp in the summer months. I find it's just different to back home. Also they don't have any bonding, Browning, any finishes, american hardwall, and they don't tend to plaster ceilings, which lets face it is never a favorite anyway. Everything is on render which they call floating and screeding, I know thats something on the floor back home but here it's the walls. and a straight edge is a T bar and you wait for the muck to just turn before you level your walls which makes a lot of mess and a hell of a lot of wastage. They don't unibond anything because they hav'nt got it here yet. So before adding your Plaster to the walls they wet it with a hose twice.
There's loads of work here. The pay varies but usually around the 4 or 5 dollers a meter for both setting and Floating and no one asks you for your papers. I'm earning about $1400 to $1800 a week but tax is high. I take off 30% Owch!
Good luck, Oh and where a hat if your working outdoors!
Hope that helps?