Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any other mums in Sydney?

Any other mums in Sydney?

Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any other mums in Sydney?

Originally Posted by APB2007
Hi, I'm the Dad of the family. We are also moving out to Sydney on the 12th Jan 08 with my Wife and two daughters (ages 5 and 8). I'm working in North Sydney and looking at moving in this area. Currently looking for schools and it came as a shock recently to find out we have to pay for public education due to Visa (457). I'll pass your details on to my wife so she can get in touch. We don't know anyone in Sydney and haven't even been on holiday! we would welcome meeting up with any families in Sydney so please feel free to contact me. Anyone know of any good private schools in North Sydney as I understand this might be cheaper than going down the public school route (can be lesss than $4500 per child)? trying to get kids into a school befroe the start of term (end of Jan). Cheers
Hi there
Try this site http://www.australianschoolsdirectory.com.au/search.php
It gives you several options to choose from whether private, girls, boys, co-ed, public etc and you get a list of all schools of interest in the area you want.
However, Rosscarbery is right, the private schools have broken up now so may be difficult to contact. I have also not seen any private schools as cheap as public schools. I think the "faith" schools may be cheaper, but we are certainly paying way over that for private school. They are asking for £4000 just to enrol my 2 boys. If you find anywhere cheaper I'd be interested to know.
Good luck with your hunting. We are moving to North Sydney on 28 Dec and my kids are 12, 8 and 3 so will also be looking for a few mates as I won't know anyone either.
Regards
Ali
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

APB2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. unfortunately can't get the private message I think it's being blocked at my end and unable to send one to you. mobile for me whilst still in uk 07947 783506, by all means text your e mail and I'll send one in return. regards
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

APB2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emmis
Well, I've just found a great website. I think it might only be for pre-school, nannies and childcare but it gives an indication of vacancies at the pre-schools. (Sorry if you're looking for over 5s) Great site with a map too to help. I'd love to get in touch with anyone who's moving out to Sydney
Love Ems x
Thanks. unfortunately can't get the private message I think it's being blocked at my end and unable to send one to you. mobile for me whilst still in uk 07947 783506, by all means text your e mail and I'll send one in return. regards
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by APB2007
Hi, I'm the Dad of the family. We are also moving out to Sydney on the 12th Jan 08 with my Wife and two daughters (ages 5 and 8). I'm working in North Sydney and looking at moving in this area. Currently looking for schools and it came as a shock recently to find out we have to pay for public education due to Visa (457). I'll pass your details on to my wife so she can get in touch. We don't know anyone in Sydney and haven't even been on holiday! we would welcome meeting up with any families in Sydney so please feel free to contact me. Anyone know of any good private schools in North Sydney as I understand this might be cheaper than going down the public school route (can be lesss than $4500 per child)? trying to get kids into a school befroe the start of term (end of Jan). Cheers
I feel like I'm the bearer of bad news on this thread, and certainly don't want to be, but you should be aware that if you are on a 457 then even if you go private, technically you still have to pay the $4,500 or thereabouts per child to the government, as private schools get government funding too. Having paid your money though you are still not entitled to free school transport (which most kids are entitled to) which seems a bit unfair. I have heard that some people manage to get away without paying this, but I'm not sure if that is because they are paying "international fees" instead. Certainly in the (private) school my kids go to you would have to pay international fees on a 457 and we had to show evidence of our PR when we applied. We are in St. Ives - OH works in the CBD - and my kids are 14, 9 and 4. Feel free to PM me if you want any more info; I know how stressful it is trying to sort the whole school thing and as we ended up moving our eldest from the first school he went to after 7 weeks I am happy to try and help others avoid getting into that situation!!!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I feel like I'm the bearer of bad news on this thread, and certainly don't want to be, but you should be aware that if you are on a 457 then even if you go private, technically you still have to pay the $4,500 or thereabouts per child to the government, as private schools get government funding too. Having paid your money though you are still not entitled to free school transport (which most kids are entitled to) which seems a bit unfair. I have heard that some people manage to get away without paying this, but I'm not sure if that is because they are paying "international fees" instead. Certainly in the (private) school my kids go to you would have to pay international fees on a 457 and we had to show evidence of our PR when we applied. We are in St. Ives - OH works in the CBD - and my kids are 14, 9 and 4. Feel free to PM me if you want any more info; I know how stressful it is trying to sort the whole school thing and as we ended up moving our eldest from the first school he went to after 7 weeks I am happy to try and help others avoid getting into that situation!!!
What?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, time for me to ask what might be a really stupid question... but would I have to pay $4500 on top of the private school fees?
Please tell me that's not the case... I'm really starting to wonder whether this is worth it! Think I might stay put here in Italy where we get fantastic free schooling and my husband can commute to Sydney... from Italy!!!!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

A great website by the way for those of you not yet in Sydney (like me!) who want an idea of what suburbs are like is www.cityhobo.com
Absolutely love it and has schools there too!
Love Ems
P.S. I have now found out that if you send your kids to private schools you DON'T have to pay the $4500 to the goverment as well... thank you Andrew for ringing NSW!!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

A great website by the way for those of you not yet in Sydney (like me!) who want an idea of what suburbs are like is www.cityhobo.com
Absolutely love it and has schools there too!
Love Ems
P.S. I have now found out that if you send your kids to private schools you DON'T have to pay the $4500 to the goverment as well... thank you Andrew for ringing NSW!!
Phew thats a relief !!!!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

ebyron is on a distinguished road

Hi all, especially Ali and Deb! Ali, that sounds ideal. Mosman is gorgeous. All the area north of the harbour (Kirribilli, Neutral Bay, Cremorne...) is lovely. Sydney is great. We lived in Melbourne about 7 years ago which we loved. I'm really into history and art and was totally in awe of the cultural side of Australia. We Europeans make fun of Australia but I found it fascinating. My husband's a surfer and we both love the sea so it was ideal in that way too. Obviously, like everywhere there are annoying things... Sydney is beautiful, really, really beautiful, but sometimes the locals spend too much time reminding you about that and it leaves you less time to actually absorb it yourself! Also I was a bit shocked at first by the occasional Pom bashing (during the Olympics we were in a pub and they booed when the British and US National Anthems were sung on TV!!) and the way Italians and Greeks are called, and call themselves (!!) wogs. There was even a film released at the time we were there about a Greek teenager growing up in Oz... and it was called The Wog Boy. I was shocked as I'm half Italian... and half Pom!! But the more you're there the more you realise it's because they're very direct and aren't actually being racist.... and the Pom bashing is more than likely due to years of us Brits being so condescending towards them. I loved Sydney and can't wait to go back, live in a city (we're living in the coutryside in Tuscany at the moment which sounds ideal but I'm going stir crazy as my husband works such long hours for little money and you can't go for walks with the kids nearby as the countryside doesn't do pavements!!!) and just chill out in a great, funky, beautiful, chilled, mad city... it's everything you really want as there are so many different suburbs. I really hope we can meet up Ali as Gaia, my little girl, is 4 and would love a friend to play with. I'm looking for schools for her as she already goes to nursery school every morning... any ideas? Also where are the serviced apartments and what are they called? Just curious as we'll need to rent a holiday apartment/house before we find a more long term solution.
Anyway, I'll PM my email to you both, Ali and Deb. Let's meet up and stay in touch!!
Ems xx

Hello!!!

Can I join in??!!

We are planning to move to Sydney early next year too. I've got a girl (4) and a boy (1), so similar ages. I'm very excited about the move, but feel very daunted about all the decisions i have to make - mainly where to live!!! So i'm finding this site, and this thread, really useful. If i can just narrow down our search to a couple of areas that would be a start ... just fancy something different to England eg by a nice sandy beach!!!

It would be great to know of some mums before i get out there - i'm trying to hide in the back of my mind the fact that i'll be leaving all my friends behind!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hi and welcome - the more the merrier.
I guess we are all feeling the same way. I leave in 2 weeks and am still in denial
We have spent the last few months deciding which suburb to live and only narrowed it down due to our boys being accepted into a school in Cremorne. So Mosman it is for us.
Feel free to PM me if you want any info (even though I'm not there yet I have done a lot of research). It would be really nice to get a group going before we get there. By the way I have 3 kids, 12, 8 and 3.
Regards
Ali

Originally Posted by ebyron
Hello!!!

Can I join in??!!

We are planning to move to Sydney early next year too. I've got a girl (4) and a boy (1), so similar ages. I'm very excited about the move, but feel very daunted about all the decisions i have to make - mainly where to live!!! So i'm finding this site, and this thread, really useful. If i can just narrow down our search to a couple of areas that would be a start ... just fancy something different to England eg by a nice sandy beach!!!

It would be great to know of some mums before i get out there - i'm trying to hide in the back of my mind the fact that i'll be leaving all my friends behind!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Any other mums in Sydney?

Originally Posted by ebyron
Hello!!!

Can I join in??!!

Wow! This is actually getting exciting. I'm borderline ready to completely change my mind and stay put as this preschool thing is driving me crazy . My 4 year old (it's fabulous that you've got a 4 year old daughter too... and a 1 year old son!!! ) has been used to going to school now since she was 3 and as she's not the world's most brash, confident and loud of children (apart from when she's at home or with her little buddies!) I really don't want that all to change. Arghhhhh! And here in backward Italy (!!) schooling is free and super. What a whinging bloody pom!!
But I totally agree Ali we HAVE to get together regularly once we're in Sydney. As for areas, as I've said before () check out www.cityhobo.com. It's great!
Love Ems xx
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

ebyron is on a distinguished road

So, have both of you got your visas? We are waiting for ours .. famous last words I know, but hopefully it wont take too long!

Have you been to Oz before?

Looking forward already, to that first meet up in the Sunshine !!!!!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

We got our visas a few weeks ago. We are going on a 457 initially for 2 years and leave in 2 weeks My daughter is also used to going to nursery for 3 days a week but I'm not going to panic. I'm sure something will come up when we get there and the new term doesn't start until 30 Jan. I think it will be easier to wait until then when we know exactly where we will be living long term. I think there are loads of toddler groups around too so will try these out to get to know a few more people. Try not to worry too much. I'm sure it will work out ok.
Ali
Old Dec 12th 2007, 11:02 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
We got our visas a few weeks ago. We are going on a 457 initially for 2 years and leave in 2 weeks My daughter is also used to going to nursery for 3 days a week but I'm not going to panic. I'm sure something will come up when we get there and the new term doesn't start until 30 Jan. I think it will be easier to wait until then when we know exactly where we will be living long term. I think there are loads of toddler groups around too so will try these out to get to know a few more people. Try not to worry too much. I'm sure it will work out ok.
Ali
Pre-school spaces are a bit tight round there (our 4yr old goes to one in N Sydney) but I am sure there will be spaces around.
We lived in Cremorne and it is really great for getting into the city, Balmoral and zoo - but Military rd can be an arse - so use the back streets where possible. However Balmoral/Mosman/Neutral Bay etc are among the most expensive areas on the lower north shore, so be prepared for that!
If I remember correctly there are loads of groups round there, so I am sure you will find plenty to keep you busy!
Steve
Old Dec 13th 2007, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi! As soon as contract with his work is signed, sealed and delivered we should get our business visas or at least temporary ones letting us into the country. We did the same thing about 6-7 years ago but we lived in Melbourne. At the time I much prefered Melbourne as it's more "cool" and "funky" (how tragic do I sound?!), and the people are super relaxed and don't care whether you like or don't like Melbourne. Sydneysiders are more loud and are obsessed by you liking Sydney and prefering it to the UK, other Australian cities, and heaven!!! But when we lived there before I always said I'd like to live in Sydney for a bit, so, since this contract has come up, and seeing as the small ones are still small (!), we thought we'd make the most of the opportunity and go! Sydney is beautiful and is more like an American city. Melbourne is much more European, but its suburbs are hellish and it's more planned and gridlike. I like Sydney's coves, it's coastal/harbour location and it's higgledy-piggledy-ness... but I still think Melbourne is funkier!! For Australia Sydney's expensive but it is a fabulous city... well it was 6 years ago and I can't imagine it's changed that much. Supermarkets by the way aren't as cheap as they used to be so be warned... but local shops are good value. Shop locally, especially if you're not living in a super expensive suburb, and you'll be having great, fresh food, and you may save some pennies... or cents! And eating out is good, cheap (sometimes cheaper than preparing it at home!) and great for choice. And now a Labour government is in, so even better... hopefully services will improve... such as preschools!!! Will I ever drop this subject...?!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everyone! Just wondering if there's any news on the school/preschool/suburb choice front? Think we're gonna try for the Balmain/Glebe areas as have seen some lovely Victorian Federation style houses.... and tis not far from the CBD. Ho hum... Christmas is here and all I've got on my mind is kangaroos rather than turkey...And how's the packing going Ali?! Not long now! Keep me posted. Ems x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.