Reload this Page >

Any one know the difference ???

Any one know the difference ???

Old Nov 26th 2004, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

jjchack is on a distinguished road
Default Any one know the difference ???

Hello,

Any one know the difference between citizenship vs permanent residence???
Old Nov 26th 2004, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

The Hastie Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any one know the difference ???

Originally Posted by jjchack
Hello,

Any one know the difference between citizenship vs permanent residence???
As far as I am aware PR gives you basically the same rights as citizenship. However, if you have PR you are not allowed to vote. Also, with PR you would have to get a Resident return visa if you left the country and came back again. Citizens can come and go as they please without extra paperwork. I could be wrong and I am sure there are lots of others out there who could give you a more accurate answer.
PS For Australia you have to have PR and be living in the country for two years before you can apply for citizenship.
Carolyn
Old Nov 26th 2004, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Any one know the difference ???

Originally Posted by The Hastie Family
As far as I am aware PR gives you basically the same rights as citizenship. However, if you have PR you are not allowed to vote. Also, with PR you would have to get a Resident return visa if you left the country and came back again. Citizens can come and go as they please without extra paperwork. I could be wrong and I am sure there are lots of others out there who could give you a more accurate answer.
PS For Australia you have to have PR and be living in the country for two years before you can apply for citizenship.
Carolyn
I had a PR when I lived in Australia. I was alowed to vote, but you are right about leaving the counrty. I left 15 years ago and are now trying to get back and the paperwork is astronomical. This time if I get back I will become a citizen.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunshine23
I had a PR when I lived in Australia. I was alowed to vote, but you are right about leaving the counrty. I left 15 years ago and are now trying to get back and the paperwork is astronomical. This time if I get back I will become a citizen.
Have a look at the 457 Visa Restrictions Thread at start of forum. It has a list of differences betwen temp/PR and Citizenship.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

i recently got my PR and i have to leave the country today for 2 weeks... i was told i do not need to get an RRV. The travel agent looked at my passport and checked it out. I certainly hope shes right!!!
Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:11 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
i recently got my PR and i have to leave the country today for 2 weeks... i was told i do not need to get an RRV. The travel agent looked at my passport and checked it out. I certainly hope shes right!!!

PP
I thought all new PR visas give you a period of time during which you can enter and leave the country at will. Usually 5 years.

I know yours is a spouse visa but would think the rules are the same.

After that period You then need a RRV. Does it not say on your visa?

best wishes

G
Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

certain empoyment positions are only open to citizens, and not PRs - I think working for some depts in fed govt are citizen-only
Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:27 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sunshine23
Only PR people registered on the electoral roll before a certain date (Nineteen seventy something) are allowed to vote. Since then PRs do not have the vote (although they are allowed to vote in council elections).

Alistair
Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

you can have an Aussie passport once you get citizenship too
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Grayling
PP
I thought all new PR visas give you a period of time during which you can enter and leave the country at will. Usually 5 years.

I know yours is a spouse visa but would think the rules are the same.

After that period You then need a RRV. Does it not say on your visa?

best wishes

G

Hi G

yes you are correct... until September 2009 i can come and go as i please. It says multiple entries on my visa.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 3:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Only PR people registered on the electoral roll before a certain date (Nineteen seventy something) are allowed to vote. Since then PRs do not have the vote (although they are allowed to vote in council elections).
Citizens of Commonwealth countries on the electoral roll as of 25 January 1984 usually retain the right to vote.

In most states, including NSW, PRs do *not* have the right to vote in local elections unless qualified as above.

Jeremy
Old Nov 27th 2004, 9:44 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
Citizens of Commonwealth countries on the electoral roll as of 25 January 1984 usually retain the right to vote.

In most states, including NSW, PRs do *not* have the right to vote in local elections unless qualified as above.

Jeremy
Thanks for the date - looks like I missed by a decade.

We were told we could vote in council elections in Victoria. I guess people need to check the rules in their own states.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Nov 27th 2004, 10:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Thanks for the date - looks like I missed by a decade.

We were told we could vote in council elections in Victoria. I guess people need to check the rules in their own states.

Cheers
Alistair
A very interesting bit of info, and well worth checking individual council rules.

Victoria
If you are enrolled, then you are eligible to vote in Victorian STATE elections.
To be eligible to enrol to vote, you must be:
* 18 years of age and over, an Australian citizen, and have a Victorian address
British subjects who were on the Commonwealth or State electoral roll on 26 January 1984, reside in Victoria and are enrolled to vote, are also eligible to vote in Victorian State elections
The fine is $50 for not voting if you're a required voter.
http://www.vec.vic.gov.au/ElectoralInfo/WP_Voting.htm

Council Elections - Melbourne
You NEED to enrol if you are an Australian citizen aged 18 or older and you own or occupy property in the City of Melbourne.

Others who MAY apply to enrol?
* People aged 18 or older who live in the City of Melbourne but are not Australian citizens;
* People aged 18 or older who own or occupy property in the City of Melbourne but don't live in the municipality.
Rules for each Council in Victoria are here:
http://www.vec.vic.gov.au/Elections/WP_CouncilList.htm

http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_voting.htm

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Nov 28th 2004 at 12:11 am.