Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any one else going on a STUDENT visa?

Any one else going on a STUDENT visa?

Old Mar 10th 2009, 6:48 am
Just Joined

neilalys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any one else going on a STUDENT visa?

thanks for that never thought about that, just be greatfull that once on bridging visa can work full time , time to re do the budget me thinks , maybe live closer to brissy reduce travel costs, how do we stand if hairdressing comes off modl any idea ?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Work out how many points you will have at the end of your course without the modl list. Gardening is not on the list anyway, so you would be in the same position as me.

Seriously though, if you don't have the full points you can earn extra points by either doing an English test and getting a good score, or by getting a graduate 18 month visa and work in your field for an extra year. You have to have got your 900 hours in before applying for that visa though.

It can get very confusing.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

yeah know about the 900 hrs thats why we chose brisbane school of hairdressing the 900 hrs are included ,but we cant wait to get back there , i was there from aged 9 to 18 and when we were there last year it was just like going home, cant wait to see my girls on the beach and horse riding thats there dream so thats my aim
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by neilalys
yeah know about the 900 hrs thats why we chose brisbane school of hairdressing the 900 hrs are included ,but we cant wait to get back there , i was there from aged 9 to 18 and when we were there last year it was just like going home, cant wait to see my girls on the beach and horse riding thats there dream so thats my aim
hi neilalys how old are you and when are you going over? just interested as we are over in july and my oh is studying at brisbane school of hair dressing
Old Mar 10th 2009, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

ctory night shift job, has your oh been there long, is it a good place to study , does oh travel by train ?, do you get a discount as a student, we have yet to decide where to live i have lived in brissy before but that was 20 yrs ago ,
Old Mar 10th 2009, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

sorry misread your post kid are doing me head in tonight, we will be over with in 6 -8 weeks of selling
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Tracey Blair is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davidb1989
hi all me and my familly are going to brisbane on a student visa if any one else is post here
My husband and i are considering doing the same, but can't decide whether it's too risky! We would have to sell up to fund the move and wouldn't have much left at the end. Would love to live in Oz but can't help wondering what we would do if we didn't get PR at the end. Do you have a plan B if things don't work out? Has anyone got any success stories via the student visa route?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

havent heard of anyone on the sites thats been sucessfull, but i suppose once your doing it towards the end you may be too busy to go online, our fall back is i have a crane operator licence which as im over 45 i would still be able to get a sponsor job in new zealand, but i know what you mean for us course and school fees come to $94,000 school for 3 girls for 3 years, is $72,000 . i supose at worst we come back and rent forever, but im going to start up self employed handyman / gardening , if i can build it up part time maybe that would help at end, its daunting having just ourselfs to rely on , but you either stay put and wonder what if , or you take a chance, most sucessfull people take a chance and fall down a few times but at some stage the risk works , thats why they are sucessfull because they dont give up ,if our house sells that ive put my haert and sole into extending and renovating we will go and it will work , just a shame i cant work 60 hrs a week there would be more chance of sucess, but as long as the bills are paid and we have a roof over our heads we will be ok just the same as here , so were gona do it
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tracey Blair
My husband and i are considering doing the same, but can't decide whether it's too risky! We would have to sell up to fund the move and wouldn't have much left at the end. Would love to live in Oz but can't help wondering what we would do if we didn't get PR at the end. Do you have a plan B if things don't work out? Has anyone got any success stories via the student visa route?
hi there is always way to get pr you just have to find it like some people have said in this thread you can earn extra points it is a big risk but hey if you dont do it you will never know there has been 2 couples that have taken this route and it worked out for them, i think you should give it a go and bite the bullet, after all you would only have to come back big deal, australia will dramatically improve our life style and opportunities so were doing it.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracey Blair
Have a look for the posters Paul & Nic - they are on the Gold Coast and came on student visas a few years back.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have a look for the posters Paul & Nic - they are on the Gold Coast and came on student visas a few years back.
Thanks, I'll have a look at those.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by davidb1989
hi there is always way to get pr you just have to find it like some people have said in this thread you can earn extra points it is a big risk but hey if you dont do it you will never know there has been 2 couples that have taken this route and it worked out for them, i think you should give it a go and bite the bullet, after all you would only have to come back big deal, australia will dramatically improve our life style and opportunities so were doing it.
My brother emigrated 3 years ago and we fell in love with the place when we visited. He was lucky enough to have a skill to get a PR visa before he went out though, so different situation for him. He thinks I should take the risk too as he and his children have such a great life out there now. Where will your OH be studying? I'd be doing hairdressing too. Looking at Sunshine Coast Tafe - nearest one to Noosa where by brother lives.

Not sure whether I can get any extra points for having family there already.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilalys
havent heard of anyone on the sites thats been sucessfull, but i suppose once your doing it towards the end you may be too busy to go online, our fall back is i have a crane operator licence which as im over 45 i would still be able to get a sponsor job in new zealand, but i know what you mean for us course and school fees come to $94,000 school for 3 girls for 3 years, is $72,000 . i supose at worst we come back and rent forever, but im going to start up self employed handyman / gardening , if i can build it up part time maybe that would help at end, its daunting having just ourselfs to rely on , but you either stay put and wonder what if , or you take a chance, most sucessfull people take a chance and fall down a few times but at some stage the risk works , thats why they are sucessfull because they dont give up ,if our house sells that ive put my haert and sole into extending and renovating we will go and it will work , just a shame i cant work 60 hrs a week there would be more chance of sucess, but as long as the bills are paid and we have a roof over our heads we will be ok just the same as here , so were gona do it

Sorry, are you saying you are coming to Oz on a student visa? You do realise the main applicant (the one doing the course) has to be under 45 when they apply for PR?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

hi, yep im 45 but wife doing hairdressing and shes 30,
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

sandsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I was pointed in David's direction following a thread I posted to ask if you can still work for a UK based company once in Oz on a student visa as well as working the 20 hours per week there.

I am a mortgage and insurance broker and I can still look after some clients whilst in Oz via Skype and will get paid via my UK based company.

This would be a big factor as the student visa is a sort of last resort to get over to Oz.

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.