Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any one been to Gladstone QLD.

Any one been to Gladstone QLD.

Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:22 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Any one been to Gladstone QLD.

Any one been to Gladstone QLD. I may have a good job offer there. Looks like a nice place. But i would like to know of any ones thoughts on the place. Just tell me you what you think, good or bad. Many thanks.
Oh and how long does it take to get a work permit in QLD. Any advice would be very welcome. Doing some of our own digging but i find people on this web site have more in depth and real life information. Many thanks.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:07 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one been to Gladstone QLD.

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Oh and how long does it take to get a work permit in QLD. Any advice would be very welcome. Doing some of our own digging but i find people on this web site have more in depth and real life information. Many thanks.
"Work permits?", I know Qld is a bit behind? What type of work? Trades, yes may take a little time for licences etc, but other types ie admin,sales etc, you can start as soon as you get off the plane, if you like.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Any one been to Gladstone QLD. I may have a good job offer there. Looks like a nice place. But i would like to know of any ones thoughts on the place. Just tell me you what you think, good or bad. Many thanks.
Not been there personally but spoke to someone yesterday coincidentally who grew up there and couldn't wait to leave. Small town Qld mentality - good if you live life in the slow lane/on the hard shoulder

Do you mean the visa or the actual licence for whatever trade you want to work in?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:53 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My sister and her husband lived on Boyne Island, which is just outside Gladstone for 20 years. He actually owns a very large engineering firm there having something to do with mining, I think. My sister actually lives in Brisbane now as she works at UQ, but her husband still lives in Gladstone during the week and commutes on weekends. It is actually a long drive but it doesn't hurt to have enough dosh to buy yourself a helicopter for those longish trips. They seem to like it up there. My b-i-l has been there for 30+ years.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:21 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Havent been there myself...but hubby has......it is a very industrial place, but also has some lovely bits as well. House prices are reasonable, although Gladstone is on the coast, it has no beach but Tannum Sands(30 mins drive) is close by and lovely. It has a very laid back lifestyle, typical Qld its great....no rush. We stay in Yeppoon which is North of Gladstone, and is a very chilled out as well.

IMO it would be a good place to start a new life.......plenty of work about, sensible house prices and plenty things to do there also...will try and find some info for you on the net.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:09 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Very industrial, which therefore means at least a good chance of a job - not a bad place and plenty of better ones nearby for when you're not at work.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 7:27 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Bloke
"Work permits?", I know Qld is a bit behind? What type of work? Trades, yes may take a little time for licences etc, but other types ie admin,sales etc, you can start as soon as you get off the plane, if you like.

Thanks for all your replies, appreciate it. Is QLD red tape very slow? As i am looking into different options for getting a work permit etc. I have an NZ work permeit that runs out soon so i guess that that won't count for any thing, just a thought.