Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Do You Do When You Land?

What Do You Do When You Land?

Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:01 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light
Cool What Do You Do When You Land?

Hi, what do you have to do as soon as you arrive in Brisbane, We know about setting up tax file numbers and medicare, but what do you do about the visa side of things? Do you have to validate your visa at the airport or go to the Brisbane visa office?? Pete
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:03 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Do You Do When You Land?

Originally Posted by pete jackson
Hi, what do you have to do as soon as you arrive in Brisbane, We know about setting up tax file numbers and medicare, but what do you do about the visa side of things? Do you have to validate your visa at the airport or go to the Brisbane visa office?? Pete
Pete I think you will find that this is done at immigration as you pass through.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:05 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thebears
Pete I think you will find that this is done at immigration as you pass through.
so you didnt have to do anything yourself then, once you are in the country they know and it's sorted? Pete
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

so you didnt have to do anything yourself then, once you are in the country they know and it's sorted? Pete
No, you just have to run out of the airport, than jump up and down with your arms in the air making whooping sounds.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
No, you just have to run out of the airport, than jump up and down with your arms in the air making whooping sounds.

I thought you had to kiss the runway as away of saying hello to your new life
Mandy
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:37 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Go have a big long drink!

(Depending on when you land that is )
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You walk up to the Immigration desk, they scowl at you & stamp your paasport, then you collect your bags, declare your food to AQIS, and you're in. Then if you're only on a validation trip you can get on the next plane back if you like, all done
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears

We had our visas validated by some miserable sod at Melbourne airport. He quizzed Julie for ages and made her take her glass's off to compare her passport photo, he then asked if she had ever changed her name and when she said yes his eyes light up. Why did you do that he asked to which she replied, you do it when you get married as I did 21 years ago. After that he waved us through.

I think he was just acting tough when I went through the red channel because I had brought my golf clubs the customs man there shook my hand and said welcome to Australia.

John
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:31 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
We had our visas validated by some miserable sod at Melbourne airport. He quizzed Julie for ages and made her take her glass's off to compare her passport photo, he then asked if she had ever changed her name and when she said yes his eyes light up. Why did you do that he asked to which she replied, you do it when you get married as I did 21 years ago. After that he waved us through.

I think he was just acting tough when I went through the red channel because I had brought my golf clubs the customs man there shook my hand and said welcome to Australia.

John
I had a really lovely passport guy at Sydney. He welcomed me to Oz, asked where we were going to live, sounded interested when we told him, shook hands with Harry and he even smiled too I think he is an exception though, every other time I have been through immigration I have had a misery guts.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:36 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

You walk out of the plane into the airport with the other passengers.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:32 am
brown eyes!

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
You walk out of the plane into the airport with the other passengers.
So just go the immigration desk, they stamp your visa page in your passport and away you go! Pete
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

If you have applied for a 457 visa online then you have to get the stamp put into your passport once you arrive. At least with the PR visa you can see it there and you know that there aren't going to be any last min cockups that will cause you problems at immigration .
Nicky
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

So just go the immigration desk, they stamp your visa page in your passport and away you go! Pete
Fraid so...i was thinking there might be champagne reception for any similar validatees when we done ours but no such luck...

(its not the same as the UK where newcomers get given a house and lots of tax payers cash every week...can tell ive just got up lol)
Old Jul 14th 2006, 7:46 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What Do You Do When You Land?

Originally Posted by chaval
Fraid so...i was thinking there might be champagne reception for any similar validatees when we done ours but no such luck...

(its not the same as the UK where newcomers get given a house and lots of tax payers cash every week...can tell ive just got up lol)
Ha Ha HA I think your as cynical as me

Don't forget the fact that they get a free Driving licence and free Insurance or negate the fact that they need either.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 7:53 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

My SIL was questioned about her school Visa from the 1980's ie she didnt take it up so they assumed she was an overstayer when she visited Sydney.

Its all controlled at the entry points to the country.