Any help greatly appreciated

Any help greatly appreciated

Old Nov 1st 2003, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough
Default Any help greatly appreciated

Let me paint you a picture.

I was born in aus in '71 to english parents who had recently moved there for a tenner ( under some deal or other ) and returned to uk aged 4 in '75.
I have an aus birth certificate.
My wife and two kids want to go there as does myself.
We have selected brisbane as our destination and have been searching the websites researching the area.

Problem is, according to some " section 17 " repeal i don't know if we can go.
I have never " applied " for british citizenship but HAVE applied for a british passport ( several years ago to take the family on holiday ) and am concerned this may count as " applying ". If so then i would have to re-apply for citizenship.

If all said and done i have australian citizenship does anyone know if this would make the whole process easier ( wife and kids ) or would we be better suited to go via a visa ?

This is the scariest thing i have ever faced ( prospect of dragging the family overseas away from family ).

Have lost all confidence in the uk and feeling the cold.
We WANT to go but unfortunately it's taking that first step, due to my being born there we are unsure which direction that step should be aimed.
We are soon to be in a position financially where we have NO debts and believe it's going to be now or never, the kids will be starting high school in a few more years and by then it will be too late.

Any advice given would be much appreciated for a family determined to go, scared, excited,optimistic,daunted etc etc.
Thank you
Paul & Ann-Marie
Old Nov 1st 2003, 8:03 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any help greatly appreciated

Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
Let me paint you a picture.

I was born in aus in '71 to english parents who had recently moved there for a tenner ( under some deal or other ) and returned to uk aged 4 in '75.
I have an aus birth certificate.
My wife and two kids want to go there as does myself.
We have selected brisbane as our destination and have been searching the websites researching the area.

Problem is, according to some " section 17 " repeal i don't know if we can go.
I have never " applied " for british citizenship but HAVE applied for a british passport ( several years ago to take the family on holiday ) and am concerned this may count as " applying ". If so then i would have to re-apply for citizenship.

If all said and done i have australian citizenship does anyone know if this would make the whole process easier ( wife and kids ) or would we be better suited to go via a visa ?

This is the scariest thing i have ever faced ( prospect of dragging the family overseas away from family ).

Have lost all confidence in the uk and feeling the cold.
We WANT to go but unfortunately it's taking that first step, due to my being born there we are unsure which direction that step should be aimed.
We are soon to be in a position financially where we have NO debts and believe it's going to be now or never, the kids will be starting high school in a few more years and by then it will be too late.

Any advice given would be much appreciated for a family determined to go, scared, excited,optimistic,daunted etc etc.
Thank you
Paul & Ann-Marie

If you cant find the info on
www.immi.gov.au
then I suspect you may be wise to consult a migration agent - Im sure they would be able to answer your question fairly quickly and easily. However I m sure Ive read a few on here who were in the same predicament as you - have you had a search through the archives?

good luck

sue