Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any helicopter pilots, or anyone training to be?

Any helicopter pilots, or anyone training to be?

Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:16 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Any helicopter pilots, or anyone training to be?

Well, my husband fancies a career change so we're looking into how we're going to work out his training.

First off, he'd like to get his private pilots license over the next year and a bit so he can continue working full time. Is this feasible? Once he's got his private licence then he'd quite his job and do the training for the commercial licence, which I think takes around 6 months or so?

Can anyone give any tips on the training, the time and the costs we should expect?

Also, to complicate matters..... we had initially planned to come to Australia for a few years, so we're still planning on returning in about 2 years. So we were thinking of doing the private licence here and then returning to Canada to do the commercial. Or possibly staying here to do the commercial and then returning to Canada. This all depends on how easy it is to transfer licenses across the countries.

I know there's probably not many helicopter pilots on here but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any helicopter pilots, or anyone training to be?

Hi comet! Can't help I'm afraid, but will be interested to see what information does come up, as my OH has always talked about continuing flight training & getting his licence too. (Although for planes probably rather than helicopters). Will watch this space!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hales, I have a link to an aviation forum if you want to ask on there. There are tons of Canadians and Australians, so someone can help you out.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:47 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

http://www.pprune.org/forums/index.php and www.casa.gov.au may be a better place to seek such information.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:03 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

Dorothy, I'd love the link for the forum if you've got it handy
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by comet555
Well, my husband fancies a career change so we're looking into how we're going to work out his training.

First off, he'd like to get his private pilots license over the next year and a bit so he can continue working full time. Is this feasible? Once he's got his private licence then he'd quite his job and do the training for the commercial licence, which I think takes around 6 months or so?

Can anyone give any tips on the training, the time and the costs we should expect?

Also, to complicate matters..... we had initially planned to come to Australia for a few years, so we're still planning on returning in about 2 years. So we were thinking of doing the private licence here and then returning to Canada to do the commercial. Or possibly staying here to do the commercial and then returning to Canada. This all depends on how easy it is to transfer licenses across the countries.

I know there's probably not many helicopter pilots on here but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.
Hi, when we came to Australia I trained as a helicopter pilot at PHS at Coolangatta, it was a great place to learn with some excellent instructors. However, I was down there last week and all of the instructors I had have now left!
I am now taking my CPL fixed wing at the Royal Queensland Aero Club at Archerfield.

If you need any further info feel free to PM me

cheers

Mark
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

sorry, I forgot - cost wise

min 105 hours @ $420 ph (Robinson 22)
theory $1500 home study or $3500 classroom (to CPL)
Aviation Medical/eye test about $200
ASIC card $200
Student licence $50
all exams (7in total) about $70 each
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:23 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by doub
sorry, I forgot - cost wise

min 105 hours @ $420 ph (Robinson 22)
theory $1500 home study or $3500 classroom (to CPL)
Aviation Medical/eye test about $200
ASIC card $200
Student licence $50
all exams (7in total) about $70 each
Thanks for that.

The hours you mentioned look like that's for a commercial licence, is that right? I think I had read it was more like 50 some hours for the private licence, and then 105 for commercial.

How long did all that take you? Did you do it full time?

Are there any place at Archerfield that do helicopter training? I saw Hempels does the conversions to helicopter, but I don't know if they'd do the training from the start. I'm sure my husband would drive an hour to either the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast for the training but it would be nice if he only had to go to Archerfield. Of course it's not only distance we're looking at but the school as well.

As far as I can tell it will be about $25,000 for the private licence and about $50,000 for the commercial. I'm just not sure how long it will all take though.

Also, after you'd paid all that money and done all that training how hard is it to get any kind of flying work. I do expect it to be difficult to break into it with so little hours under your belt, but obviously you'd want some sort of job to start out.

Sorry for all the questions, it's just there's not too many people who I can ask about this.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that.

The hours you mentioned look like that's for a commercial licence, is that right? I think I had read it was more like 50 some hours for the private licence, and then 105 for commercial.

How long did all that take you? Did you do it full time?

Are there any place at Archerfield that do helicopter training? I saw Hempels does the conversions to helicopter, but I don't know if they'd do the training from the start. I'm sure my husband would drive an hour to either the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast for the training but it would be nice if he only had to go to Archerfield. Of course it's not only distance we're looking at but the school as well.

As far as I can tell it will be about $25,000 for the private licence and about $50,000 for the commercial. I'm just not sure how long it will all take though.

Also, after you'd paid all that money and done all that training how hard is it to get any kind of flying work. I do expect it to be difficult to break into it with so little hours under your belt, but obviously you'd want some sort of job to start out.

Sorry for all the questions, it's just there's not too many people who I can ask about this.
Yes, sorry, those hours were for the cpl which is by far the better option if your husband want's to possibly make a career from flying.
It may be a good idea for him to find out were the jobs are for a newly qualified heli pilot, he might find himself at Ares Rock, building hours for twelve months!
You can do your training part time - I worked full time when I did mine, however you may have to build a few more hours into your plan as you do need to refresh at the start of each lesson (especially if your only going down there once a week)
Archerfield, to my knowledge, don't have Helicopter training Gold Coast: PHS
Sunshine Coast: Airwork, Chopperline, Becker (there are others that I can't remember)

cheers

Mark
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:40 am
Canuck/Aussie

Yes, sorry, those hours were for the cpl which is by far the better option if your husband want's to possibly make a career from flying.
It may be a good idea for him to find out were the jobs are for a newly qualified heli pilot, he might find himself at Ares Rock, building hours for twelve months!
You can do your training part time - I worked full time when I did mine, however you may have to build a few more hours into your plan as you do need to refresh at the start of each lesson (especially if your only going down there once a week)
Archerfield, to my knowledge, don't have Helicopter training Gold Coast: PHS
Sunshine Coast: Airwork, Chopperline, Becker (there are others that I can't remember)

cheers

Mark
Do any of those schools have a particularly good reputation? PHS looked good and I think it might have been Becker that we were checking out. Would the school make that big of a difference in terms of finding your first job?

How long did it take you to do your training then, while you were working?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Do any of those schools have a particularly good reputation? PHS looked good and I think it might have been Becker that we were checking out. Would the school make that big of a difference in terms of finding your first job?

How long did it take you to do your training then, while you were working?
when I was learning PHS & Chopperline had a good rep, and Becker were to avoid. I personally liked the look of Becker though (put a search in on PPRune) Chopperline have now changed ownership, so I can't comment. PHS have their own Opperation at Uluru/Kings Canyon (a fair commute from Capalaba) and they only take on their own students (Bell Jetrangers) your husband would need a Jetranger endoresment $1000 per hour approx.
I was learning for about 9 months, a great experience (but an expensive one!)
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:41 am
Canuck/Aussie

when I was learning PHS & Chopperline had a good rep, and Becker were to avoid. I personally liked the look of Becker though (put a search in on PPRune) Chopperline have now changed ownership, so I can't comment. PHS have their own Opperation at Uluru/Kings Canyon (a fair commute from Capalaba) and they only take on their own students (Bell Jetrangers) your husband would need a Jetranger endoresment $1000 per hour approx.
I was learning for about 9 months, a great experience (but an expensive one!)
Yes, very expensive!!! But... if it's something he would enjoy then that's great. He's currently an engineer and hates being stuck in an office.

Did you do the theory at home or at the school? I'm just curious how easy it is to do at home. I'm hoping that because he's an engineer he might grasp some of the concets a little easier, although I know there's not much comparision between the two professions. At home would obviously be preferable for cost and scheduling around work.

I'll do a bit more research into those two companies. Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, very expensive!!! But... if it's something he would enjoy then that's great. He's currently an engineer and hates being stuck in an office.

Did you do the theory at home or at the school? I'm just curious how easy it is to do at home. I'm hoping that because he's an engineer he might grasp some of the concets a little easier, although I know there's not much comparision between the two professions. At home would obviously be preferable for cost and scheduling around work.

I'll do a bit more research into those two companies. Thanks for the info.
my theory was home based - I might be able to help out there - when the time comes drop me a line

Mark
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:24 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

Dorothy, I'd love the link for the forum if you've got it handy
Hey there. check out www.airdisaster.com There is an extensive forum on there. Think you'll be able to figure out who I am?