Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any health insurance recommendations...

Any health insurance recommendations...

Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all
Default Re: Any health insurance recommendations...

www.iselect.com.au

It's the lazy persons way to choose health insurance but we found a good policy with AHM and so far it's been all good to us.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:10 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I would use i-select to maybe find a policy (but it doesn't cover all the companies) and then compare prices to the individual company website - it may be cheaper (or not).
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:13 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Just increased my cover with Medibank on the phone and they have given me full cover for $199 a month.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:18 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi PP,

Is that just for you or you and OH? $199 per month as a single is high but for a couple or family seems pretty average!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:16 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
Hi PP,

Is that just for you or you and OH? $199 per month as a single is high but for a couple or family seems pretty average!
Just me and Mr PP
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:24 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

The other thing to be aware of is that there is no lifetime health loading if you join a health fund within 12 months of becoming a permanent resident - so if you're on a 457 with the plan to get PR I would leave it til then - or at least don't worry about the loading!
Thanks this is what I was worried about, been here a year on the 29th June but still on 457 so I don't have to worry until I've done a year as PR....is this right?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:36 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
Thanks this is what I was worried about, been here a year on the 29th June but still on 457 so I don't have to worry until I've done a year as PR....is this right?
Yep. That's right.

Gina
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:40 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Phew I can relax and stop worrying about it then

Thanks
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:44 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

The Medicare Surcharge is the extra cost if you earn over $50K (2007-2008 tax year) or $100K (after July1st 2008).

In terms of the medicare levy surchage, if you have earned over $50K this year (2007/08) or over $100K for a family, and you haven't had insurance, you may be required to pay the levy surcharge at 1% of taxable income ($500 on $50K). See http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/info...dicarelevy.htm
I think its $50K for singles, $100K for familys for up to 1st July 08. After that I think its $150K for family and not sure for singles.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
Good post,

Thanks, my question is; what if you have a PR visa, you are both aged 40, you have both validated it recently, but have returned back to the UK for a short while, say a year or two maybe up to your last date of entry, much dependent on local circumstances at home.

So you have validated your PR visa, are you now a permanent resident in Oz, or are you just counted as visiting Oz for a holiday? You have not registered with Medicare, where do you stand on the loading.

Thanks.
We have had exactly the same issue with this. We validated our visa in Feb 06 during a 3 week recce but became resident June 07. When I visited Medicare for a Letter of Eligibility, they produced a letter saying Feb 06. I explained to the guy that I needed the date of June 07 otherwise it was going to cost an extra $60 per month. After a little frowning, together with me giving a very pleading look!! he gave me a different letter with the more recent date. So very grateful, left the office quickly and sent off the letter to the health insurance company before they changed their mind!!

I did quite a bit research on different policies and found them all to be pretty expensive for what you get if you're healthy! Eventually went for HCF which seemed ok without too many gap payments.

An aussie friend at work has a son who is 15 and has had a lot of operations over the last couple of years, reckons he's spent $500,000 on gap payments for his son. An major op in January of this year cost $25,000 alone! And people complain about the NHS!!

Linda (the relatively sober other half of Bobbyftm!)