Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance - Ausssie provider vs International expat health plans?

Health Insurance - Ausssie provider vs International expat health plans?

Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:06 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance - Ausssie provider vs International expat health plans?

Hiya, I've just about got my head around medicare, but has anybody opted for one of the International Health Plans by likes of axa uk when they got to Oz?

For about the same cost as a aussie provider, these also seem to cover any time overseas, the limits are higher, excesses are lower and also include all prescriptions and a lot of routine dental/optical etc.

Am I missing something - i.e. do I HAVE to use an Australian company?

Still reading up on it all but appreciate any views.
Thanks, Jason
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all
Default Re: Health Insurance - Ausssie provider vs International expat health plans?

I am about to look into the med insurance as my son is currently undergoing orthodontist treatment and having a permanent brace fitted tomorrow in the UK, he has to wear it for about 18 months so he will need follow on treatment in OZ, and definately need med ins,

Hopefully someone will have a similar experience
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of
Default Re: Health Insurance - Ausssie provider vs International expat health plans?

Originally Posted by eve209
I am about to look into the med insurance as my son is currently undergoing orthodontist treatment and having a permanent brace fitted tomorrow in the UK, he has to wear it for about 18 months so he will need follow on treatment in OZ, and definately need med ins,

Hopefully someone will have a similar experience
My daughter was at the orthodontist last week (has been attending for 2 years) and finally he said she was ready to start treatment. I told him we were leaving in 11 weeks for Oz, hoping that he would start treatment and we could continue over there. He refused as he said dentists dont like to pick up on someone elses work I asked could they even take out the 4 teeth that needs removed but agin he said no as the teeth he would take out may not be the teeth another dentist would remove. It's going to cost us a small fortune in Oz but unfortunatley it's one of those things that has to be done.

Anyone any idea of cost???

Lynn xx
Old Jun 24th 2008, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by the4ofus
My daughter was at the orthodontist last week (has been attending for 2 years) and finally he said she was ready to start treatment. I told him we were leaving in 11 weeks for Oz, hoping that he would start treatment and we could continue over there. He refused as he said dentists dont like to pick up on someone elses work I asked could they even take out the 4 teeth that needs removed but agin he said no as the teeth he would take out may not be the teeth another dentist would remove. It's going to cost us a small fortune in Oz but unfortunatley it's one of those things that has to be done.

Anyone any idea of cost???

Lynn xx
Well I havn't told the Orthodontist yet that we are emigrating! didn't ask so I haven't said. My son has been seeing the orthodontist for nearly one year and has been wearing a temporary adjustable brace to straighten his teeth and Jaw, and then tomorrow he has the glued on train track one!

I am hoping that once its on they wont want to take it off because it will undo all the work they have done but he will need check ups and it tightening every 12 weeks. I have emailed some health cover providers to guage the cost of cover and whether they will cover continued treatment, some companies dont cover you or the immediate period so we may have to pay for his first two check ups in OZ,
Old Jun 24th 2008, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eve209
Well I havn't told the Orthodontist yet that we are emigrating! didn't ask so I haven't said. My son has been seeing the orthodontist for nearly one year and has been wearing a temporary adjustable brace to straighten his teeth and Jaw, and then tomorrow he has the glued on train track one!

I am hoping that once its on they wont want to take it off because it will undo all the work they have done but he will need check ups and it tightening every 12 weeks. I have emailed some health cover providers to guage the cost of cover and whether they will cover continued treatment, some companies dont cover you or the immediate period so we may have to pay for his first two check ups in OZ,

When are you going? Do you have any idea what the cost will be for the treatment? I know it's going to cost a ridiculous amount but as I said before it's something that has to be done. The orthdontist here told me they only get £500 - £600 to cover the whole treatment from start to finish and the dentiat gets about a tenner for each toothe they pull. I wish that was all we had to pay in Oz

Lynn xx
Old Jun 24th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I haven't got any specific quotes yet, but it lookslike its going to be about $200 a month, we are a family of 6 and as I said one is already undergoing treatment, I always wear glasses and so do two others just for reading. We probably wouldn't bother but like you I am worriedabout the cost of the orthodontist although I may get some direct quoted for the rest of his treatment. We hope to fly out in September so no1 son will have 1st checkup before we go.

From what I can gather its the actual brace thats the most expensive, but from start to finish you could be looking at $2000+ thats assuming everything goes according to plan, but its always the unforseen expenses that cripple you.

So the health insurance is probably best or you. some companies let you tailor your own cover so you may want dentistry and orthodontistry but not prescription cover!

will update you when I get some quotes in.

Eve x