Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Cyclists in Brisbane

Any Cyclists in Brisbane

Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold
Default Any Cyclists in Brisbane

Hi there, planning the move to Brisbane next year and have heard that it's good for road cycling and has bunch rides regularly . Guess it's the turn in weather that we've had recently here in the uk that's making me think more on this subject given that summer was so good.
Miss my 75K bike rides on nice sunny days, can't wait for the summer that never ends in oz.
Would be ace to hear what it's really like down under.
Neil
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any Cyclists in Brisbane

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil
Hi there, planning the move to Brisbane next year and have heard that it's good for road cycling and has bunch rides regularly . Guess it's the turn in weather that we've had recently here in the uk that's making me think more on this subject given that summer was so good.
Miss my 75K bike rides on nice sunny days, can't wait for the summer that never ends in oz.
Neil
Is this a trick question???

When you get here you will know exactly what I mean - instantly.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by suebrennan
Is this a trick question???

When you get here you will know exactly what I mean - instantly.

Thanks for the response, but not a trick question. Am I being naive? Any more details.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

My wife and I, both mad keen cyclists of 30+ years in UK, are in NE Victoria since leaving UK 18 months ago and yes the cycling here is terrific. Like you we loved the good weather of 75/76 and all through last winter out here we never wore leggings and never got wet or thoroughly cold. Nor were there many days when cycling would have been unpleasant.
Roger
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the response, but not a trick question. Am I being naive? Any more details.
Maybe they mean it might be a bit hotter(and definitely more humid) in Brisbane than you think.

Speaking from my experiences in Perth, there are many days in the summer when the weather stops your riding, because its just too hot. So you might find you are going out a lot earlier, like between 6-7am, than maybe you would in the uk. As long as you get your head round that, then its great(apart from the lack of hills in Perth)

I'm now in Switzerland, which basically means that virtually all serious road-riding is out of the question from December to March. Too cold!!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:51 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I ride in Brisbane and happy to pull the odd 75. Summer can get a bit hot but thats fine provided that you prepare for it, cover up and those bits you cant place nuclear protective lead sunscreen on em.

Cycling is big around these parts given the climate means you can pretty much guarantee it not raining.

Roads can be terrible though and some roads have potholes in them that are more like craters and some surfaces can be very dodgy indeed. Just need to be more aware.

Other than that you'll find decent high end bike parts - wheels and the like - to be cheaper to import from the UK than buy em here.

Plenty of clubs to join and ride outs to make friends on.

But its all good and winter is an awesome time to ride with sun still shining but its a lot cooler (20 deg). Year round biking fun!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Any Cyclists in Brisbane

Originally Posted by Centurion
I ride in Brisbane and happy to pull the odd 75. Summer can get a bit hot but thats fine provided that you prepare for it, cover up and those bits you cant place nuclear protective lead sunscreen on em.

Cycling is big around these parts given the climate means you can pretty much guarantee it not raining.

Roads can be terrible though and some roads have potholes in them that are more like craters and some surfaces can be very dodgy indeed. Just need to be more aware.

Other than that you'll find decent high end bike parts - wheels and the like - to be cheaper to import from the UK than buy em here.

Plenty of clubs to join and ride outs to make friends on.

But its all good and winter is an awesome time to ride with sun still shining but its a lot cooler (20 deg). Year round biking fun!

Now that's the type of image I had in my head, the ability to get some cycling done for the whole year and not be forced to stop by weather just as my form starts to increase. I'll be sure to ship my radiation suit for those hot days.
thanks
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:51 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

No they have all been run over and killed by drunk Queensland motorists.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Yes cyclists rule here - they take over the pavements and I have witnessed spats between cyclists and pedestrians on more than one occasion. I have also witnessed a few serious near misses on the roads between cyclists and cars.

Nevertheless, if you like cycling you should be in your element here because aside from the weather (can cycle all year) there are huge numbers of cycle/walkways all around Brisbane.

Sue
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Neil
My hubby does road racing, we checked on www.yahoo.com.au and searched for 'cycling clubs ...... then area, pertch/brisbane etc' and pulled loads up with loads of information on them

Last edited by marvinc; Nov 21st 2006 at 8:40 am. Reason: add more info