Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any choosing Tasmania?

Any choosing Tasmania?

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any choosing Tasmania?

Originally Posted by Teabag
We have bought our house in Tassie and are waiting to sell here in Perth before we can get there. I am an impatient gal so have been applying for jobs and have been amazed that people are ringing me in Perth already! Unfortunately as I need at least 1-2 months before I get there it is too long for them, but it really tells me that the workforce must be pretty desperate if they are ringing interstate for administrative workers. Hobart and Launceston are the main places for hospitals for the lady that was asking, Hobart would be better for skilled workers. And yes there apparently is a drastic shortage of skilled workers.

Try career one - they show the newspaper ads as well as the recruitment agents ads - http://jobs.careerone.com.au/js.php?...Miles=15&pp=20

and T change for general info

http://tchange.com.au/
whrereabouts did you buy?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
whrereabouts did you buy?
Glenorchy on Elliott Rd - up on the hill
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teabag
Glenorchy on Elliott Rd - up on the hill
not far from us-we're in North Hobart near Mt. Stuart.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 11:47 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Ian and Helena! for the info x
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

Hey Ozzienurse,

Just wanted to try and help answer some questions you have.

You may want to consider flying into Launceston if you want to come to North Tassie, it's a bit bigger than Devonport and for this reason the flights are normally slightly cheaper. It's only 1 hours drive from Launceston to Devonport.

I've noticed that there are a few health/nursing jobs on the Tas government website, I think the address is http://www.jobs.tas.gov.au/. You may also try the local newspapers online. They have job sections each Saturday.

Can you let me know what line of work your husband is in. I 'm sure you said maintenance. I know that there is a lot of industrial jobs in Northeren Tassie around Bell Bay area, with companies such as Temco, Comalco, Ecka, as well as a Power station. There are also plans for a $ 1.5 billion Pulp Mill to be built in Bell Bay in the near future. I don't think it will be too long before this gets the go ahead with the Tassie government pretty keen to push the approval process through parliament even if it doesn't meet the stringent environmental requirements. There is definitely a shortage of skilled workers in Tassie. I'm not really surpried though as the wages are lower than in the rest of Australia.

We've been in Tassie for almost 2 years and I have to say that I think Launceston is the best area for good weather. Seems to get less rain than the NW coast and is usually a few degrees warmer. Probably because it's in a valley it is more sheltered, although in winter it does get a little smoggy with the woodsmoke hanging in the cold frosty morning air.

There are hospitals in Launceston and just outside Devonport (Mersey District). I think the Royal Hobart is the largest followed by LGH. I wouldn't move to Hobart though, it's too busy. I had to site in rush hour traffic on Monday morning for nearly 4 minutes!

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them for you...if not I'll just make it up!!

Peter
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WEBBS
Hey Ozzienurse,

Just wanted to try and help answer some questions you have.

You may want to consider flying into Launceston if you want to come to North Tassie, it's a bit bigger than Devonport and for this reason the flights are normally slightly cheaper. It's only 1 hours drive from Launceston to Devonport.

I've noticed that there are a few health/nursing jobs on the Tas government website, I think the address is http://www.jobs.tas.gov.au/. You may also try the local newspapers online. They have job sections each Saturday.

Can you let me know what line of work your husband is in. I 'm sure you said maintenance. I know that there is a lot of industrial jobs in Northeren Tassie around Bell Bay area, with companies such as Temco, Comalco, Ecka, as well as a Power station. There are also plans for a $ 1.5 billion Pulp Mill to be built in Bell Bay in the near future. I don't think it will be too long before this gets the go ahead with the Tassie government pretty keen to push the approval process through parliament even if it doesn't meet the stringent environmental requirements. There is definitely a shortage of skilled workers in Tassie. I'm not really surpried though as the wages are lower than in the rest of Australia.

We've been in Tassie for almost 2 years and I have to say that I think Launceston is the best area for good weather. Seems to get less rain than the NW coast and is usually a few degrees warmer. Probably because it's in a valley it is more sheltered, although in winter it does get a little smoggy with the woodsmoke hanging in the cold frosty morning air.

There are hospitals in Launceston and just outside Devonport (Mersey District). I think the Royal Hobart is the largest followed by LGH. I wouldn't move to Hobart though, it's too busy. I had to site in rush hour traffic on Monday morning for nearly 4 minutes!

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them for you...if not I'll just make it up!!

Peter
Holey crap!! 4 mins is nothing you want to try sitting on the M1 at the roadworks for 1 hour that's what you call traffic!!!!:curse:

Oh my word I cannot wait to get out of this place!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Hi Peter

Just wondering if you came across any problems when you moved to Tas. If so what were they? and did you bring loads of furniture with you?
thanks Kerry
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 12:41 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Holey crap!! 4 mins is nothing you want to try sitting on the M1 at the roadworks for 1 hour that's what you call traffic!!!!:curse:

Oh my word I cannot wait to get out of this place!!!
Took me 4 hours to get home that friday it snowed here!! thats traffic!! Come on I have to have beaten you all?
4 mins? OMG that's amazing!
Hubby is a mechanical and electrical engineer, HND in the Royal Navy as a mechanical engineer and has since done lots of electrical courses. Current job is a maintenence engineer for the Town Hall! He likes it there and would like anything similar although he realises it may not be as well paid or the same work at all.
Right well I had my eye on the top part of Tas. I have found that alot of the better paid jobs are in Hobart though so I am guessing I may end up around there.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WEBBS

I wouldn't move to Hobart though, it's too busy. I had to site in rush hour traffic on Monday morning for nearly 4 minutes!

Peter
i know, it's a killer-takes me at least 15 minutes to drive 10 miles home from work !
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wot are you guys like!!! Now I know why they call us winging poms!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

and did you bring loads of furniture with you?
thanks Kerry
we didn't bring any furniture, just personal effects, and bought new stuff once here.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

Hi Peter

Just wondering if you came across any problems when you moved to Tas. If so what were they? and did you bring loads of furniture with you?
thanks Kerry
Hey Kerry,

Our biggest problem was finding a decent rental property in the Launceston area. We brought our dog over from Scotland which really limited our options. If anyone brings their dog and is looking to rent I would advise that they always tell the agent that it is an 'Outside Dog'. One agent asked if we had a reference for our dog? I explained that the dog was having trouble holding down a job and therefore didn't have any references.

Other than the rental issue and of course the whole emotional rollercoaster of moving to a new country things we're pretty positive.

We brought almost all of our furniture in a 20' container. I still smile when I think back to when it all arrived a few weeks after moving into our unfurnished rental. I don't think you can underestimate how settling it can be to have familiar things surrounding you...yeh and it gets tiresome having to keep re-inflating the air bed! If we were to do it again we would still bring our furniture.

Peter
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
Took me 4 hours to get home that friday it snowed here!! thats traffic!! Come on I have to have beaten you all?
4 mins? OMG that's amazing!
Hubby is a mechanical and electrical engineer, HND in the Royal Navy as a mechanical engineer and has since done lots of electrical courses. Current job is a maintenence engineer for the Town Hall! He likes it there and would like anything similar although he realises it may not be as well paid or the same work at all.
Right well I had my eye on the top part of Tas. I have found that alot of the better paid jobs are in Hobart though so I am guessing I may end up around there.
Ozzinurse,

Come on then, spill the beans and tell us where these good paying Hobart jobs are.

Peter
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the info Peter. We thought that if we have to pay for our wood furniture to be fumigated then it wouldn't be worth bringing over, some of our stuff is total crap anyway. So I think we will just bring our stuff instead. We don't have a dog, but we do have a 3 year old, do you think he needs references? Just one more question who did you use to ship your stuff?

Cheers Kerry
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Whats this about wood furniture having to be fumigated! OMG all our stuff is less than 2 years old as when we moved we had a splurge on new stuff, don't want to leave it behind!
Sammy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.