Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any advice appreciated

any advice appreciated

Old Sep 7th 2003, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future
Default any advice appreciated

Hi,
I'm new to this site and wondered if any of you could help me at all.

My husband and I really want to emigrate to either NZ or Oz (NZ is 1st choice because of lack of creepy crawly, slithery things!!!)

The problem is that we need to get hubby a job before we go. NZ requires it if we are to get a permanent residency visa. We can get a permanent residency visa for Oz without a job offer, but we have 2 children under the age of 2 and do not really want to uproot unless hubby has a job to go to.

He works in IT as a business analyst, but we keep hitting a brick wall. Can anyone suggest a way we could get a job offer while still in the UK.

Any advice on locations in Australia would be most welcome too.

Thanks

Kath
Old Sep 7th 2003, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

(NZ is 1st choice because of lack of creepy crawly, slithery things!!!)
They have estate agents in New Zealand and Australia.

Would imagine it would be difficult to get someone to offer a job in IT unless skills include the "wanted" skills. Which I think are mainly programming. More chance of IT positions in Sydney then Melbourne then Brisbane.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

martinw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Its hard work this brick wall isnt it!

We are in the same boat as you, with older kids, but really prefer NZ to AUS (short of 5 points there anyway!), but need the job offer for NZ visa.

I have been sending cv after cv to every web based recruiter that is advertising suitable jobs - to date a big 0!

So if you get the answer let me know too!

There is a NZ job fair in London on the 18th Oct which im going unless somebody jumbs out of the magic hat with a job first!

There must be loads out there in this boat, what are others doing

I am considering paying for a job search through a migration consultant (oe ) £250 up front for three months search plus £250 if we get an offer - has anybody else done this?

Also it looks like we need to get visa application in before xmas to beat the new changes so it all a bit tight!

Does any body know what the chances are of getting the offer if i fly over and camp on the doorsteps?

Come on NZ "gis a job"!

Martin & Ginni
Old Sep 7th 2003, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future

Hi Martin and Ginni,

Can you give me the details of this NZ job fair in London. ie. where it is, and do you need to buy tickets, if so, where from? etc.

I went to Opportunities Abroad in May and heard something about a job fair in London in October, but then lost the details.

Hope you can help

Kath

Originally posted by martinw
Hi there

Its hard work this brick wall isnt it!

We are in the same boat as you, with older kids, but really prefer NZ to AUS (short of 5 points there anyway!), but need the job offer for NZ visa.

I have been sending cv after cv to every web based recruiter that is advertising suitable jobs - to date a big 0!

So if you get the answer let me know too!

There is a NZ job fair in London on the 18th Oct which im going unless somebody jumbs out of the magic hat with a job first!

There must be loads out there in this boat, what are others doing

I am considering paying for a job search through a migration consultant (oe ) £250 up front for three months search plus £250 if we get an offer - has anybody else done this?

Also it looks like we need to get visa application in before xmas to beat the new changes so it all a bit tight!

Does any body know what the chances are of getting the offer if i fly over and camp on the doorsteps?

Come on NZ "gis a job"!

Martin & Ginni
Old Sep 7th 2003, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kathm
Hi Martin and Ginni,

Can you give me the details of this NZ job fair in London. ie. where it is, and do you need to buy tickets, if so, where from? etc.
...just posted on another thread but here goes - http://www.smallworldmedia.co.nz/