Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any 475er in OZ now?

Any 475er in OZ now?

Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice
Default Any 475er in OZ now?

I am writing to ask about taxes in Australia for people with SRS 475 visa. If anyone has already got the visa and is now employed in oz, what can you tell me about taxes?

Since 475ers are not entitled to medicare and welfare or whatever, I dont think they are asked to pay any taxes at all, is that correct?

I phoned the Australian Taxation Office yesterday, the lady there was helpful, but she didnt know what visa 475 mean. And she started talking about tax returns, so I was totally lost.

So if anyone has a Tax file number, please let me know if you pay any tax. A numerical example would be very much appreciated, because I live in a place where people dont pay taxes.

Another thing, when I see a job ad on the web, say for example $60,000. Would this number be the net amount I get? or do I have to deduct taxes from it? I am asking about a typical job ad.

Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2008, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

PursersinOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any 475er in OZ now?

Originally Posted by Ahmadj
I am writing to ask about taxes in Australia for people with SRS 475 visa. If anyone has already got the visa and is now employed in oz, what can you tell me about taxes?

Since 475ers are not entitled to medicare and welfare or whatever, I dont think they are asked to pay any taxes at all, is that correct?

I phoned the Australian Taxation Office yesterday, the lady there was helpful, but she didnt know what visa 475 mean. And she started talking about tax returns, so I was totally lost.

So if anyone has a Tax file number, please let me know if you pay any tax. A numerical example would be very much appreciated, because I live in a place where people dont pay taxes.

Another thing, when I see a job ad on the web, say for example $60,000. Would this number be the net amount I get? or do I have to deduct taxes from it? I am asking about a typical job ad.

Thanks
Is it the sponsor 457 visa you are asking about?
Old Oct 25th 2008, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice

Originally Posted by PursersinOz
Is it the sponsor 457 visa you are asking about?
No, it is Skilled Regional Sponsored (by state or relative) visa 475. But it is temporary, I am not sure... but maybe 457 conditions apply here
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:20 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.migration.nt.gov.au/servi...entParentID=78

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener.../475/index.htm

http://www.workpermit.com/australia/...bclass-475.htm
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your contribution, however, I am familiar with all the links you provided, and there is nothing about Taxes in there. Thanks again.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your contribution, however, I am familiar with all the links you provided, and there is nothing about Taxes in there. Thanks again.
You pay taxes like everyone else. You are a resident in Australia for taxation purposes when you come over on a 475 visa. Whether temporary or permanent, you are a resident.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You pay taxes like everyone else. You are a resident in Australia for taxation purposes when you come over on a 475 visa. Whether temporary or permanent, you are a resident.
I see

Thanks
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

spy_yar84 is an unknown quantity at this point

you will pay tax but you may be able to claim tax breaks via the living away from home allowance, speak to an accountant of payroll management company
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

PursersinOz is an unknown quantity at this point

I am on a sponsored 457 visa and I presume the same tax rules apply. Basically your employer can deduct from source the WAFA, (working away from home allowance) on top of the standard allowance. This means you get an additional $20,000 tax free. based on a salary of 60K it is unlikely you will pay more than 5-6K in taxes. A lot depends on your job, for example if like me you work from home then a percentage can be deducted from home office and rent, you need to work out the best way to finance a car again dependent on whether you need this for work and what they pay in mileage etc. A good way if you are an employeed person from a office is to see if they will salary sacrifice you car and rent, effectively reducing any tax liability. With this in mind I don't think your tax bill will be more than a couple of grand at worst. ( tax this year on $60K was $1200 after all deductions, paid 9K got most back).
What you alo need to be aware of and again dependent on what you do for a living is that Australia is not as cheap as people think, renting somewhere decent is $400 per week upwards, again dependent where you move to, food although some is cheaper some is not. You can claim 70% of medicare costs back under recipricol arrangements, this is eaasy and you simply take your receipt to a medicare office and they refund straight away. You are also entitled to free schooling although not after school care.
I would speak to your employer and get some clarification re salary sacrifice etc before committing, also if you have a family and are the only worker then $60K per year is liveable but tight in my experience especially if you are paid as normal and need to get your tax rebated at year end, with no savings to bring over. QLD, a decent 4 bed house in a good area is $450K upwards.
on a positive we moved here from Spain 12 months ago, QLD, although we are Englsih. We cannot find any faults at all, love the outdoor life and weather and the kids have settled into life extremely well. I have yet to find anyone unhelpful or unkind, there is an easy going nature and friendleness to life. By all means tell me what you do and where you are going and if I can be of any further help I will pass info on.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PursersinOz
I am on a sponsored 457 visa and I presume the same tax rules apply. Basically your employer can deduct from source the WAFA, (working away from home allowance) on top of the standard allowance. This means you get an additional $20,000 tax free. based on a salary of 60K it is unlikely you will pay more than 5-6K in taxes. A lot depends on your job, for example if like me you work from home then a percentage can be deducted from home office and rent, you need to work out the best way to finance a car again dependent on whether you need this for work and what they pay in mileage etc. A good way if you are an employeed person from a office is to see if they will salary sacrifice you car and rent, effectively reducing any tax liability. With this in mind I don't think your tax bill will be more than a couple of grand at worst. ( tax this year on $60K was $1200 after all deductions, paid 9K got most back).
What you alo need to be aware of and again dependent on what you do for a living is that Australia is not as cheap as people think, renting somewhere decent is $400 per week upwards, again dependent where you move to, food although some is cheaper some is not. You can claim 70% of medicare costs back under recipricol arrangements, this is eaasy and you simply take your receipt to a medicare office and they refund straight away. You are also entitled to free schooling although not after school care.
I would speak to your employer and get some clarification re salary sacrifice etc before committing, also if you have a family and are the only worker then $60K per year is liveable but tight in my experience especially if you are paid as normal and need to get your tax rebated at year end, with no savings to bring over. QLD, a decent 4 bed house in a good area is $450K upwards.
on a positive we moved here from Spain 12 months ago, QLD, although we are Englsih. We cannot find any faults at all, love the outdoor life and weather and the kids have settled into life extremely well. I have yet to find anyone unhelpful or unkind, there is an easy going nature and friendleness to life. By all means tell me what you do and where you are going and if I can be of any further help I will pass info on.
great effort thank you.

I am an Architectural Engineer (2-3 years of experience when I arrive to OZ). I am headed to Tasmania, most likely Hobart.

I am not entitled to medicare, and If wanted to study I'll pay full tution fees.

Forgot to mention I am single

Last edited by Ahmadj; Oct 27th 2008 at 9:09 pm.