Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anxiety of the 457 holder - does this sound familiar? Any tips?

Anxiety of the 457 holder - does this sound familiar? Any tips?

Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

towers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud of
Default Anxiety of the 457 holder - does this sound familiar? Any tips?

Just wondering if any of the good folks here have some sage words of advice for coping with (all be it a first-world-problem) some of the - for want of a better word - anxieties of being a 457 holder?

Though work's going well the constant 28 day guillotine that hangs over your head, coupled with a defacto partner depending on you, and the fact for me there would be no chance of getting as good a job back home sometimes really gets to me.

Being a piss poor culture fit at my work doesn't help (though I disguise it the best I can), and in a way being just 6 months from applying for PR almost makes it worse - you know, the will it be ok or wont it (even the though work has made overtures they'll sponsor).

I mean we've got a cracking group of friends and everything and yet... and yet it's like there's always this monkey on your back - Yeah I know, man-up, suck it up etc etc - but I was curious if anyone else had felt this (and how you can get rid of it)?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:06 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anxiety of the 457 holder - does this sound familiar? Any tips?

Take the monkey back to the zoo and get on with yer life
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:27 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anxiety of the 457 holder - does this sound familiar? Any tips?

Originally Posted by towers
Just wondering if any of the good folks here have some sage words of advice for coping with (all be it a first-world-problem) some of the - for want of a better word - anxieties of being a 457 holder?

Though work's going well the constant 28 day guillotine that hangs over your head, coupled with a defacto partner depending on you, and the fact for me there would be no chance of getting as good a job back home sometimes really gets to me.

Being a piss poor culture fit at my work doesn't help (though I disguise it the best I can), and in a way being just 6 months from applying for PR almost makes it worse - you know, the will it be ok or wont it (even the though work has made overtures they'll sponsor).

I mean we've got a cracking group of friends and everything and yet... and yet it's like there's always this monkey on your back - Yeah I know, man-up, suck it up etc etc - but I was curious if anyone else had felt this (and how you can get rid of it)?
I was on a 457 in the early years, though I was with a very solid company with over 100 years history, so although I was aware of the 28 days, it never bothered me too much.

Depending on your skill-set, you should be able to transfer to another sponsor easily, should your company go belly-up..... and I think immigration will allow extensions if there are good grounds and you can prove you are employable.

I had many motor vehicle technicians knocking on my door because they had lost their jobs due to redundancy etc. I took on a couple of Philippine lads who turned out the be THE best workers I had, never sick, always on time, overtime to get the work completed.... AND they called me "sir"!
Remember there are skill shortages here, you'll get another job..... do some background work to prepare a "Plan B" if there are any problems with your current employer.

Apply for PR ASAP..... as soon as you qualify!

Cheers