Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti-Social Behaviour In Brisbane

Anti-Social Behaviour In Brisbane

Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-Social Behaviour In Brisbane

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
As others have said, it does depend very much on the area you live in, the same as it would in the UK.

I am sure the sound of a police car siren would be as much a surprise in some parts of the UK as it would be to me.

There is actually a slightly greater chance of being murdered in Australia than in the UK, but a much reduced chance of being assaulted,
I think the murder rates are pushed up by rates in the indigenous communities. If you eliminate them from the stats than the UK has a higher homicide rate, and Australia's is about the same as certain rural US states and eastern Canadian provinces such as Quebec.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
I think the murder rates are pushed up by rates in the indigenous communities. If you eliminate them from the stats than the UK has a higher homicide rate, and Australia's is about the same as certain rural US states and eastern Canadian provinces such as Quebec.
You need to brush up on the facts. Homicides between indigenous communities barely rate a mention.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:27 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
If that scared you then you'd better avoid The Valley!!

I know...it's a shame as it's one of the few places you can get a decently priced meal in Brisbane. I go (and leave) early..it's just a walk across the Story Bridge for me.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
You need to brush up on the facts. Homicides between indigenous communities barely rate a mention.
A lot of happens in that neck of the woods barely rates a mention.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:29 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets eliminate drug dealers from the UK and US stats too. And jealous lovers?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:35 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Leaving out all indigenous murders may make the Aus and UK numbers almost identical. NT has the highest murder rate in Aus, 13 last year or about 6 per 100,000 people. Making a huge assumption that all the victims were indigenous and omitting them from the figures (if you think that is a meaningful thing to do) would still give Aus a rate of about 1.14 per 100,000 people roughly. Indigenous people represent less than 3% of the population - they do not significantly skew the figures.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kporte
Lets eliminate drug dealers
Now that's an idea Going off topic

Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:40 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Comparing UK to Aus is like comparing apples to pears. In Aus most people live in the burbs where there aren't many pubs so folk who want to get smashed and create havoc including crime tend to go in to the city. It's for this reason we feel safer in Aus than UK as in essence we live away from where most of the crime takes place. This isn't to say crime doesn't happen in the burbs, just that it's more likely to be in the busy city areas.

Personally I'd say crime is less in Aus however the stats say otherwise. I suspect most of the crime is in the cities as opposed to the suburbs.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:46 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Comparing UK to Aus is like comparing apples to pears. In Aus most people live in the burbs where there aren't many pubs so folk who want to get smashed and create havoc including crime tend to go in to the city. It's for this reason we feel safer in Aus than UK as in essence we live away from where most of the crime takes place. This isn't to say crime doesn't happen in the burbs, just that it's more likely to be in the busy city areas.

Personally I'd say crime is less in Aus however the stats say otherwise. I suspect most of the crime is in the cities as opposed to the suburbs.
I'd have to disagree with that. I would actually say that the majority of murders that I hear about in Qld ARE in the suburbs. I don't hear about too many in the city, probably because it is too easy to be seen.
I'd grant you that there is probably more violence, but not murders.

4 I can think of in the last 5 or so years, The Bridgman Downs murders, A guy who cut off another guy's head in Sandgate and joked with his friend that he went bowling with it (Sandgate), there was a guy in Springwood (I think) who held his whole family at gun point and killed some of them. Then there was that one on the Gold Coast burbs last year where a jealous ex shot a woman's fiance during a bbq.

I can't actually recall hearing of any city murders

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Aug 18th 2009 at 9:51 am.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:51 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I'd have to disagree with that. I would actually say that the majority of murders that I hear about in Qld ARE in the suburbs. I don't hear about too many in the city, probably because it is too easy to be seen.
I'd grant you that there is probably more violence, but not murders
Again, I suppose it's where you live. No right, no wrong, just difference of opinion based on personal experience.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:53 am

One thing I have noticed is the murders when they do occur, seem far more vicious than in UK. Maybe that's just my perception.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:57 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I have noticed is the murders when they do occur, seem far more vicious than in UK. Maybe that's just my perception.
Completely agree there!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

yeah would have to also agree with that!I read recently (can't recall which part of Oz)that a woman who had apparently endured years of living with a violent OH,shot him,dismembered his body,dumped his torso in the bush (later found by a truckie having a wee)and the cops then found his head buried in the bird avery under a few inches of concrete!Guess the heat gets to some people!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, what would you consider a less vicious murder?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginreality
yeah would have to also agree with that!I read recently (can't recall which part of Oz)that a woman who had apparently endured years of living with a violent OH,shot him,dismembered his body,dumped his torso in the bush (later found by a truckie having a wee)and the cops then found his head buried in the bird avery under a few inches of concrete!Guess the heat gets to some people!
Yes the murderers use pillows in Blighty! Good old British gentle murdering, a national treasure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.