Reload this Page >

Anti-Social Behaviour In Brisbane

Anti-Social Behaviour In Brisbane

Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

spikeyjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Anti-Social Behaviour In Brisbane

Hi,

How does Brisbane stack up against the UK for anti-social behavior, teenage knife crime etc etc. Basically all the things why we want to leave the UK.

Are we jumping out the frying pan into fire?

We have 2 young kids aged 1 and 3, and think Uk will be a very dangerous place in 10-15 years for them and wonder if Oz will offer them better security and environment to grow up in.

Any serious thoughts/comments much appreciated
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-Social Behaviour In Brisbane

Originally Posted by spikeyjo
Hi,

How does Brisbane stack up against the UK for anti-social behavior, teenage knife crime etc etc. Basically all the things why we want to leave the UK.

We have 2 young kids aged 1 and 3, and think Uk will be a very dangerous place in 10-15 years for them and wonder if Oz will offer them better security and environment to grow up in.

If you read the local paper you will see it is no different.

Glasses banned in city centre pubs in favour of plastic to stop 'glassings', Bouncers on every door etc., plenty of knives aad drugs around.

I see as much drunkenness as in the UK....usual panics about teenage binge drinking etc.

Just the same really.

G
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:08 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
If you read the local paper you will see it is no different.

Glasses banned in city centre pubs in favour of plastic to stop 'glassings', Bouncers on every door etc., plenty of knives aad drugs around.

I see as much drunkenness as in the UK....usual panics about teenage binge drinking etc.

Just the same really.

G
It all depends where you hang out, I slightly disagree with Grayling, as you don't well I don't see as many kids hanging on street corners, they go to skate parks etc. They take an interest in sport which helps keep them occupied.

In my opinion the UK is worse, not the kids fault, just nothing to do and bad weather..
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

I got stabbed three times on my way to work this morning. Why did I ever leave Peckham?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Sheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura about

Two guys got SHOT at the McDonalds in Burleigh Heads at the weekend (one died)
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheilas Wheels
But that's not Brisbane its the 'Gurld Curst' . . .
Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

As others have said, it depends where you live.

Graylings talking about city centre drunkeness which happens on big nights out everywhere.

Personally, on a day to day basis I see much less anti-social behaviour than I did in the UK . . .
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:53 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I think as long as you steer clear of the popular extremist press you'll be fine. Then again I'm sure that if you put the Daily Mail down and relaxed you'd probably be fine in the UK too!

There was a report of a knifing at our school a few months back (ambulance was called - so news crew showed up, couldnt get details so guessed them) - but I later found out from a source inside the school that a student slipped in home economics class whilst holding a knife and cut their finger. Ambulance was called as a precaution and there was certainly no 'knife-weilding rampage' like the media reports insinuated.

In terms of teenage behaviour - I think Australian teenagers are far better integrated into society than in UK. They aren't demonised anywhere near as heavily as they are in the UK and as a result tend to react much more pleasantly to the general public. High school students on public transport will generaly be courteous and respectful with fellow passengers and things like giving up seats for elderly, pregnant or injured are commonplace. Rudeness by teenagers to other member of the public is often 'self-regulated' with peers not beig impressed with such displays. Teenagers do gather in groups around shopping malls (thats what teenagers do) - but you'd have to be exceptionaly jumpy and nervous to be worried by them
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:02 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
High school students on public transport will generaly be courteous and respectful with fellow passengers and things like giving up seats for elderly, pregnant or injured are commonplace.
I used to see that all the time in Brisbane, in fact most of the kids would give up their seats even before the bus became full in the expectation that it may fill up. But I can tell you it's totally different on the tram route I take into Melbourne - no way they're giving that seat up, for anyone - neither does anyone else mind you so they maybe learn by example! Which is strange because I find other groups of people i.e. drivers, to be far more courteous in Melbourne.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:04 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brisben
It all depends where you hang out, I slightly disagree with Grayling, as you don't well I don't see as many kids hanging on street corners, they go to skate parks etc. They take an interest in sport which helps keep them occupied.

In my opinion the UK is worse, not the kids fault, just nothing to do and bad weather..
I'm not usually in the CBD late at night at the weekend however I was there a few weeks ago and found it scarey and this was just from between the restaurant and Eagles Wharf where we catch the ferry from. Lots of aggressive 20-40 year olds fuelled up with alcohol and whatever else.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

The UK is seriously more advanced in terms of social degradation, however, you will still see be aware of thugs, scum, drugs, knives, bashings, robberies etc in the Australian press.

My advice would be if you want to be away from the kind of scum that do this thenmove to somewhere small and rural either in the UK or in Aus.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
I'm not usually in the CBD late at night at the weekend however I was there a few weeks ago and found it scarey and this was just from between the restaurant and Eagles Wharf where we catch the ferry from. Lots of aggressive 20-40 year olds fuelled up with alcohol and whatever else.
If that scared you then you'd better avoid The Valley!!

I've been on trains that have erupted into violence at Brunswick St station (or whatever it's called these days), same on the night buses despite them all having a security guard on board, same in the Brunswick St (endless) taxi queue, same old, same old.......
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hereandthere
The UK is seriously more advanced in terms of social degradation . . .
At last . . . someone whose not afraid to 'big up' the UK . . .

Well trousered sir!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
At last . . . someone whose not afraid to 'big up' the UK . . .

Well trousered sir!
Never let it be said I can't say nice things about Britain.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Sheilas Wheels
The second fatal shooting in less than seven months has revealed Burleigh Heads is becoming more famous for drugs, guns and murder than its iconic Norfolk pine trees.

The peaceful haven erupted to the sound of gunshots and sirens again early yesterday when two men were shot about 6am on the footpath outside McDonald's 24-hour restaurant on the Gold Coast Highway.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...87-952,00.html
As others have said, it does depend very much on the area you live in, the same as it would in the UK.

I am sure the sound of a police car siren would be as much a surprise in some parts of the UK as it would be to me.

There is actually a slightly greater chance of being murdered in Australia than in the UK, but a much reduced chance of being assaulted, according to figures at:
http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausst...45100_2008.pdf
and
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdf...b1109chap3.pdf

I have analysed them, with part being this:
Murder and Attempted Murder
In 2008, the Australian rates for these offence categories were:
Murder, 1.2 victims per 100,000 persons
Attempted murder, 1.1 victims per 100,000 persons

In 2008, the United Kingdom rates for these offence categories were:
Murder, 1.1 victims per 100,000 persons
Attempted murder, 1.0 victims per 100,000 persons
The assault rates vary throughout Australia, but here are the extremes:
NT: 2,393.34 assaults per 100,000 population – 37% identified a family member as the offender.
NSW: 1,143.26 assaults per 100,000 population – 29% identified family members as the offender.
QLD: 452.34 assaults per 100,000 population – 49% of the victims knew their offender.
VIC: 402.80 assaults per 100,000 population – 44% reported knowing their offender.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.