Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti 4x4 sentiment

The 'old' problem with Landies wasn't so much that they went wrong - in the 'good old days' everything went wrong to some degree, it was the time to get parts which was the problem. Not too bad in the very early days of points/plugs etc, but once they started to go 'electronic' it became more of a problem.

This is spot on, I remember looking at one that had been in a bit of a fire, the parts department couldn't locate a part of the loom they required, so they sent someone down from the factory to look at it and he couldn't identify the part either!! So they had to go away and make one up for it

When they started to go upmarket to appeal to a different customer this is where they got in trouble.
A good mate of mine brought a brand new one in 2003 and it was forever in and out of the dealers, the funniest time was when all the windows and sunroof decided to open on their own in the pouring rain and refused to go back up, he had to drive from Norwich to Chelmsford getting soaked

They seem to have cracked it with the new Discovery as this gets rave reviews.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

I am not anti 4x4's per se, just metal bull bars. As this study concludeshttp://casr.adelaide.edu.au/reports/CASR020.pdf

"..we can conclude that fitting a vehicle with a metal bull bar increases the risk of severe injury or death to a pedestrian in the event of a collision, even though many of the vehicles that these bull bars are fitted to also perform poorly."
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:31 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
I am not anti 4x4's per se, just metal bull bars. As this study concludeshttp://casr.adelaide.edu.au/reports/CASR020.pdf

"..we can conclude that fitting a vehicle with a metal bull bar increases the risk of severe injury or death to a pedestrian in the event of a collision, even though many of the vehicles that these bull bars are fitted to also perform poorly."
I like the bumper sticker over here

"A bull bar in the bush is worth a pedestrian in the city"
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:48 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
I like the bumper sticker over here

"A bull bar in the bush is worth a pedestrian in the city"
I like that one

"Greens are for eating"
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

If you want a 4x4 then get one, like someone said earlier, nearly every other vehicle on OZ roads is a 4x4. My only gripe is this, i'm a motorcyclist (not weekend dry weather rider, but use it everyday for work), I have nearly been knocked off 4 times (twice on freeway, once on highway and once going to coles with my little boy as pillion) and guess what, all 4 times it was a 4x4 that tried to kill me/us. People in OZ aren't as aware of bikers as they are in the UK. Now either they have the 'im the king of the road' attitude, they dont use their mirrors, they don't check their blind spot or they just don't give a s41t. All i ask of all the 4x4 drivers (and car drivers) in OZ is try to be more aware on the roads and check your blind spot before moving lanes, you may be fortunate enough to only get a booted door panel (like the last one that swiped me). Everyone can choose what they want to ride/drive, it's a free country, just remember, you may feel safer in a 4x4, but you are driving a very dangerous weapon that can kill if not treated with respect.
On another note, everyone should be aware that the Aussie driving lessons must'nt teach them the give way rule, (or they forget about it), 'cos no-one gives way over here, to anyone.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:51 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anti 4x4 sentiment

Originally Posted by simpy
you are driving a very dangerous weapon that can kill if not treated with respect.
Sorry to hear about your mishaps, guess that could apply to any car.

I think what you are saying is its not the car so much, more the driver.

Buzzy
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:02 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simpy
I have nearly been knocked off 4 times (twice on freeway, once on highway and once going to coles with my little boy as pillion) and guess what
Thats why I gave up
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Sorry to hear about your mishaps, guess that could apply to any car.

I think what you are saying is its not the car so much, more the driver.

Buzzy
Yes and No, the driver is obviously the one controlling the vehicle, but the point i'm making is that it is easier for a car driver to see a biker than it is for a 4x4 driver or a lorry driver simply due to ride heights, especially in blind spots. So all i'm asking is for drivers to check blind spots before manouvering, especially 4x4 drivers, never assume it's clear to manouvere It's only through my years of motorcycling experience that i'm still around after arriving in OZ.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I find that Australian drivers are less aware.

I'm the same - easier driving conditions and straight lanes give you less room to hone defensive driving skills.

I'm now '"rusty'' and London would be a shock by comparison. I'm not going to pretend I'm the world's best driver because I learnt to drive in the UK.

I live semi-rural and there are still more sedans and wagons than 4x4.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Ibbertson is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

an interesting read this thread and heres my 2 cents worth....
I owned a mitsubishi challenger and now a new prajero bought in 06 (a run out before the new shape but got a $14k discount).
Im based in SE Brissy and been over the ferry to north straddie quite a few times and the challenger being a basic medium 4x4 never let me down at all apart from my mistakes in drving across beach ruts instead of through them.
The Pajero which from what i seen has hardly had a mention IMO is a great
4x4, comfy and with more toys than the prado (GLS vs GLX) traction, stability.etc).
I work for WIN TV as a project eng so i get to travel all over Queensland and soon to NSW to broadcast sites in the middle of nowhere normally on top of mountains where the dirt roads are very poor quality and the pajero has never let me down yet on up or downhill pot holed tracks towing a trailer, granted with the roof racks and nudge bar it is now got the aero-dymanics of a brick so the fuel consumption is on the heavy side (average 550km /80litre tank) but hey i dont pay the fuel so i dont mind
Like i read in a eariler reply go for what u feel comfy in.... from what i seen around the serious 4x4er has a older 4x4 ute jacked up with big tyres.
I had a landcruser for 2 weeks working up in cairns a turbo diesel and it was a great ,capable car but is it worth 70k ,no ******* way considering it had fairly basic interior. the pajero might not be the trendy or the prettyist but its one of the more capable 4x4s winning the dakar rally numerious time it must be doing something right for driving across sand and dirt.

ibbertson
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:25 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ibbertson
Hi all,

I owned a mitsubishi challenger and now a new prajero bought in 06 (a run out before the new shape but got a $14k discount).
Im based in SE Brissy and been over the ferry to north straddie quite a few times and the challenger being a basic medium 4x4 never let me down at all apart from my mistakes in drving across beach ruts instead of through them.
4x4, comfy and with more toys than the prado (GLS vs GLX) traction, stability.etc).
I work for WIN TV as a project eng so i get to travel all over Queensland and soon to NSW to broadcast sites in the middle of nowhere normally on top of mountains where the dirt roads are very poor quality and the pajero has never let me down yet on up or downhill pot holed tracks towing a trailer, granted with the roof racks and nudge bar it is now got the aero-dymanics of a brick so the fuel consumption is on the heavy side (average 550km /80litre tank) but hey i dont pay the fuel so i dont mind
Like i read in a eariler reply go for what u feel comfy in.... from what i seen around the serious 4x4er has a older 4x4 ute jacked up with big tyres.
I had a landcruser for 2 weeks working up in cairns a turbo diesel and it was a great ,capable car but is it worth 70k ,no ******* way considering it had fairly basic interior. the pajero might not be the trendy or the prettyist but its one of the more capable 4x4s winning the dakar rally numerious time it must be doing something right for driving across sand and dirt.

ibbertson
I moved a guy who,s company puts up transmission towers in Australia, and through out the world, he reckons the MITSU challenger was one of the most Underated 4x4 ever built he has driven them all and the challenger comes up with the goods every time.............. mm
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ibbertson
Hi all,

ibbertson
You do seem to get a raw deal with those Cruisers in the interior dept.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:58 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You do seem to get a raw deal with those Cruisers in the interior dept.
The leather and appointment in mine is fine and I only paid around $70K
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:41 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anti 4x4 sentiment

OK - the Ssangyong Rexton.

Surprisingly, it's a great car. It has a Mercedes engine (Ssangyong is 51% owned by Mercedes.) It feels really well made, much better than Hyundai or even Mitsubishi. It's got all the toys and rides really smoothly.

However we are ruling it out purely on the 7 seats as the 7 seat version means you lose about half your boot in a vertical direction as they are sort of stuck on to the floor of the boot.

I would encourage anyone to try this car out, though, I was very impressed.

Buzzy
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
OK - the Ssangyong Rexton.

Surprisingly, it's a great car. It has a Mercedes engine (Ssangyong is 51% owned by Mercedes.) It feels really well made, much better than Hyundai or even Mitsubishi. It's got all the toys and rides really smoothly.

However we are ruling it out purely on the 7 seats as the 7 seat version means you lose about half your boot in a vertical direction as they are sort of stuck on to the floor of the boot.

I would encourage anyone to try this car out, though, I was very impressed.

Buzzy
Only second-hand though. Found the following customer comment on one of the review sites - " Well traded my 2 year old Ssangyong Rexton in to dealer to get new 4WD. Resale value quite bad. Built Oct 2004, Compliance Jan 2005, approx 25000 km's - $30000. Paid $52000."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.