Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Old Mar 30th 2007, 7:50 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Anti 4x4 sentiment

Is there a massive anti 4x4 sentiment in Oz like there is in London?

We need 7 seats, diesel, with all the safety features for the kids, and the only vehicle that seems to fit the bill is a 4x4.

So we're going to buy one, but are concerned about any backlash against us from well-meaning people who don't like 4x4 drivers.

Anyone like to comment?

Thanks

Simon
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti 4x4 sentiment

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

We need 7 seats, diesel, with all the safety features for the kids, and the only vehicle that seems to fit the bill is a 4x4.

So we're going to buy one, but are concerned about any backlash against us from well-meaning people who don't like 4x4 drivers.

Anyone like to comment?

Thanks

Simon
None of that shit here. You should be able to drive what you like no matter what Country you live in. People in London who hate 4x4s are happy with V8 BMWs and Jags. Wankers.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:04 am
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Amazulu
None of that shit here. You should be able to drive what you like no matter what Country you live in. People in London who hate 4x4s are happy with V8 BMWs and Jags. Wankers.
I like it tell it like it is
I have always had 4 x 4's I think it is the small car owners syndrome
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Anyone like to comment?

Thanks

Simon
Everyone drives 4x4's over here. Every second car you see is 4x4, no problems.
Tracie
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveplumber
I like it tell it like it is
I have always had 4 x 4's I think it is the small car owners syndrome
I drive a 4x4 Nissan Navara here. It's big and I love it. One of the things I like about America is the big trucks. The bigger the better!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:28 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

4X4's are not really frowned upon here, though 4X4's with large Bull bars are still somewhat unpopular in the big smoke, same as the U.K. The problem only really rears it's head when a small child is killed or seriously injured, the press milk the "bars are unsafe" thing for a few weeks then it's back to Warnies latest infidelity.
Most cars are built to crumple in a collision, your average 4X4 sits on large chassis rails couple that with a large Bullbar and there's no crumple. I can understand the safety concerns, in the event of a collision cars fitted with bull bars cause a far higher degree of fatalities than their bar less counterparts.
That said I'd never own a vehicle here that wasn't fitted with a large bar. I live out in the sticks, errant Roos are a serious problem here, I've had a couple of collisions with Roos and the bar has saved us from serious damage or personal injury both times. All I need now is a large one fitting to the rear to save any further damage when Deb is reversing
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I drive a 4x4 Nissan Navara here. It's big and I love it. One of the things I like about America is the big trucks. The bigger the better!
And there was me thinking you lived in Australia!

Yeh, I like the big trucks too - Ford F150, Dodge Ram.

Getting a Pathfinder,same as Navarra but with different arse end.

Buzzy
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

nigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud of

Hi All,

Dont know if its down to the Gordon Brown, but Iam really finding it hard to sell my 4x4 Landrover Freelander, its priced just right, we live in the country etc. Had it in Autotrader, local paper (hold til sold), and different post offices in town, not one reply. Maybe down small minded, small car mentality, but its a 1.8, nothing like a so called 'gas guzzler'..... what wrong with people.... I need to sell it to raise cash for meds/visa etc..... rant over..

Anyone else struggling to sell there 4x4??

cheers:curse:

Last edited by nigelb; Mar 30th 2007 at 8:34 am.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nigelb
Hi All,

Dont know if its down to the Gordon Brown, but Iam really finding it hard to sell my 4x4 Landrover Freelander, its priced just right, we live in the country etc. Had it in Autotrader, local paper (hold til sold), and different post offices in town, not one reply. Maybe down small minded, small car mentality, but its a 1.8, nothing like a so called 'gas guzzler'..... what wrong with people.... I need to sell it to raise cash for meds/visa etc..... rant over..

Anyone else struggling to sell there 4x4??

cheers:curse:
its cos its a ploplander, everyone knows they are shite! Anyone who knows anything about 4x4 and in particular landrovers won't touch one with a ten foot barge pole.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Boys and their toys. At least here you get a chance to actually use the 4x4 capability of a vehicle. In London the only elevation a 4x4 is likely to get is if they mount the kerb.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

And there was me thinking you lived in Australia!

Yeh, I like the big trucks too - Ford F150, Dodge Ram.

Getting a Pathfinder,same as Navarra but with different arse end.

Buzzy
We've a Nissan Pathfinder here - complete with very necessary Roo Bar. I love it - it's been everything we needed and very economical too.

Had Mitsubishi and loads of Discovery's in UK and I'd say most pleased with Nissan ... and already done 22,000 k (in 5 months!)

(And as other say there's not any anti 4 X 4 here - hardly see any sporty hatches!)
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:44 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I think the major difference is that in the Uk when exactly are you going to go off road ? The M&S carpark perchance ?

Here we use our 4x4's. There are heaps of places to actually use them and frankly some of our roads are so shite you want to have one anyway.

To top off that, if you dont drive a 4x4 then you probably drive V6 anyway (min 4.0lt) or bigger V8 in Australia.

Nobody gives a crap as to what you drive. Except if you drive a BMW or a Merc which, oddly enough, is probably the opposite to the UK where most people think you are just plain stupid for paying a ridiculous price or stuck up yourself.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:46 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Are they safer? Don't they roll ?

I got a little Anti 4WD when I had my bike, depends on the driver i guess.
with all the safety features for the kids

Last edited by themerlin; Mar 30th 2007 at 9:49 am.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:49 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by themerlin
Are they safer? Don't they roll ?
Not if driven with due care like you would a normal car! If a 4x4 rolls on-road then someone is doing some seriously dangerous driving!

I mean full side curtain airbags on all 3 rows, which almost no car in Oz has.

Buzzy
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I was in London I was amazed at the amount of off-road driving there was for the 4WD drive to kick in!

Most people who are anti-4WD probably object on the grounds of things like taking up more road and parking space, the fuel they consume, the gases they emit.

Ironically, Chelsea tractors almost rhymes with your parting pearl of wisdom.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.