Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:37 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti 4x4 sentiment

Originally Posted by Hutch
Only second-hand though. Found the following customer comment on one of the review sites - " Well traded my 2 year old Ssangyong Rexton in to dealer to get new 4WD. Resale value quite bad. Built Oct 2004, Compliance Jan 2005, approx 25000 km's - $30000. Paid $52000."
Yes I would probably agree with that, although the 2007 Rexton is the new model with the Mercedes engine, it actually resembles the 4WD Mercedes a lot and I think will hold its value better.

Buzzy
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:18 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simpy
If you want a 4x4 then get one, like someone said earlier, nearly every other vehicle on OZ roads is a 4x4. My only gripe is this, i'm a motorcyclist (not weekend dry weather rider, but use it everyday for work), I have nearly been knocked off 4 times (twice on freeway, once on highway and once going to coles with my little boy as pillion) and guess what, all 4 times it was a 4x4 that tried to kill me/us. People in OZ aren't as aware of bikers as they are in the UK. Now either they have the 'im the king of the road' attitude, they dont use their mirrors, they don't check their blind spot or they just don't give a s41t. All i ask of all the 4x4 drivers (and car drivers) in OZ is try to be more aware on the roads and check your blind spot before moving lanes, you may be fortunate enough to only get a booted door panel (like the last one that swiped me). Everyone can choose what they want to ride/drive, it's a free country, just remember, you may feel safer in a 4x4, but you are driving a very dangerous weapon that can kill if not treated with respect.
On another note, everyone should be aware that the Aussie driving lessons must'nt teach them the give way rule, (or they forget about it), 'cos no-one gives way over here, to anyone.
I also ride a bike. I also drive a truck and a 4x4. I find that when I'm in a truck most people are okay. It's the ones that sit in the blind spot all the time. I agree people should double check blind spots before moving. However, it is up to the rider and driver to make sure that they can be seen too. IT's not too hard to maneuver you bike or car into a spot where you can be seem.

ZX.....
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:47 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
I also ride a bike. I also drive a truck and a 4x4. I find that when I'm in a truck most people are okay. It's the ones that sit in the blind spot all the time. I agree people should double check blind spots before moving. However, it is up to the rider and driver to make sure that they can be seen too. IT's not too hard to maneuver you bike or car into a spot where you can be seem.

ZX.....
They could see me very clearly at the junction the idiot just didn't realise how much room their ruddy 4x4 took up and parked the damn thing on my foot.!!!
got very offended when I banged on their car wouldn't/ couldn't understand they were on my foot and get off so I bent his aerial!! He moved then

Kim
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by asher
They could see me very clearly at the junction the idiot just didn't realise how much room their ruddy 4x4 took up and parked the damn thing on my foot.!!!
got very offended when I banged on their car wouldn't/ couldn't understand they were on my foot and get off so I bent his aerial!! He moved then

Kim
hahahaha nice1, also zx10r_aus, not very easy to maneuver to a better position when you are travelling on a busy road and want to keep your distance from the vehicle in front of you. I have been riding a long time in the UK and never once had the problems that i have experienced over here and the UK roads were far busier. Mind you, just experienced another d1ckh3ad in a 4x4 on the road, picture the scene, travelling on highway in car, inside lane, doing speed limit (as it's double fines and double points in victoria over bank holiday w/e's), nothing in outside lane, 4x4 to55er drives right up to our boot trying to force us to speed up, he wouldn't overtake us as that was too obvious, we moved to outside lane and maintained speed limit, to55er then speeds past on inside and up to the next car infront and proceeds to do the same, we moved back to inside lane and observed him doing the same to all other cars until he disappeared out of view........but he didn't own the road, at least i don't think he did...unless he was called gippy highway.... (disclaimer: he was probably a 1 off so not labelling all 4x4 drivers with same name )
Old Apr 7th 2007, 9:54 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simpy
(disclaimer: he was probably a 1 off so not labelling all 4x4 drivers with same name )
Thanks for the disclaimer. Some of us do offer bigger gaps in front of us (taking account for the extra weight of the 4wd and those devilish easter eggs ). And its not all a race for some of us - why are people in such a hurry to get to work or to the mother in laws??????

Cruise control and stereo dials - much more important than the throttle
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Thanks for the disclaimer. Some of us do offer bigger gaps in front of us (taking account for the extra weight of the 4wd and those devilish easter eggs ). And its not all a race for some of us - why are people in such a hurry to get to work or to the mother in laws??????

Cruise control and stereo dials - much more important than the throttle
totally agree
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:17 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Kim
Yes I've had to do the same. I took a mirror off a car, it was obvious to me that he didn't need it.... But, this is what I use my 4x4 for....
Attached Thumbnails Anti 4x4 sentiment-dscf4187.jpg  
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:22 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I've had to do the same. I took a mirror off a car, it was obvious to me that he didn't need it.... But, this is what I use my 4x4 for....
Would look even nicer with your boat behind it mate

Now thats a road I would love to idle down.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:25 am
Breast Inspector

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Would look even nicer with your boat behind it mate

Now thats a road I would love to idle down.
The boat will be on the back in a few weeks got a boys weekend planed. I had to apply for a weekend pass, you know what the women are like..... I've been busy washing dishes and washing clothes, trying to build up the brownie points....

ZX.....
Old Apr 7th 2007, 3:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes I would probably agree with that, although the 2007 Rexton is the new model with the Mercedes engine, it actually resembles the 4WD Mercedes a lot and I think will hold its value better.

Buzzy
I like it but has definite quality issues in the cabin. Reckon it's good value though.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 6:05 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I think a 4x4 must be fun to drive I don't have a thing against the vehicles it is the prats who seem to think that motorbike = room to squeeze past but when driving these big things there isn't and they weigh a ton when they roll over your foot

Kim
Old Apr 7th 2007, 6:51 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I think a 4x4 must be fun to drive I don't have a thing against the vehicles it is the prats who seem to think that motorbike = room to squeeze past but when driving these big things there isn't and they weigh a ton when they roll over your foot

Kim
Well whatever I'm driving I give motorcyclists and pedal cyclists plenty of room - I used to ride both regularly.

Buzzy
Old Apr 7th 2007, 7:11 pm

Well whatever I'm driving I give motorcyclists and pedal cyclists plenty of room - I used to ride both regularly.

Buzzy
Thanks one of the few!!! well in my area that is.

Kim
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:31 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Buzzy
If we're in the mood for stereotyping I'll tell you who pisses me off on the roads....bikers. Constantly breaking the speed limit, undertaking and when there's queues of traffic, these buggers are the ones that can squeeze through the gaps and beat everyone else

I was pleased as punch the other day though because I saw an un marked police car finally pull over a biker for speeding...something you don't often see.

And for the record, I've slowed my speeding down since I got my 4X4...cruise control works a treat!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by samnrob2
If we're in the mood for stereotyping I'll tell you who pisses me off on the roads....bikers. Constantly breaking the speed limit, undertaking and when there's queues of traffic, these buggers are the ones that can squeeze through the gaps and beat everyone else

I was pleased as punch the other day though because I saw an un marked police car finally pull over a biker for speeding...something you don't often see.

And for the record, I've slowed my speeding down since I got my 4X4...cruise control works a treat!
oooh!! someone's in a bad mood.
I'm a biker, for one i don't CONSTANTLY break the speed limit, i DO undertake as i have been told that providing there are two lanes of traffic in the same direction it is perfectly legal to do so over here, and YES i do go to the front of the queue and beat everyone else and it feels bloody good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.