Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another question about rental.....

Another question about rental.....

Old Mar 17th 2011, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice
Default Another question about rental.....

Hi, i was just after some advise and experiences please. We have our visa and intend to make the move next year.

We will book a "holiday" rental initialy (we know no-one in Perth) but the question is, how long is long enough to sort out a permament rental? Was inititally thinking about booking it for 3 weeks, would this give us enough time?

Or do we go for 6-8 weeks, and if so, should we see a suitable rental early on, are we expected to take up residency straight away? How long does the procedure take?

Dont want to book a 8 week rental, find somewhere and have to move into it in 3 weeks, and then wasted the money on the holiday rental? I hope i am making sense!

Thanks
Old Mar 17th 2011, 1:31 pm
native West Aussie

Genevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant future
Default Re: Another question about rental.....

Hi Lois!

It would probably be better if you book for a minimum 6 weeks for a holiday rental. We have lots of people stay with us (particularly from the UK) that are surprised by two things: 1) that their container gets delayed (which seems to be inevitable), and 2) that they don't get the first, second or third house they put in for. There's a shortage of rental properties in Perth and as a result there just isn't the same kind of availability of properties that you might be used to.

Also, in terms of when a property becomes available - that also depends on a thousand different things - are there tenants currently in there? When will their lease run out? Or if there are owners living there, when will they be moving out? You can imagine that there are as many different answers to these kinds of questions as there are properties! However you can always ask the property manager, they should be able to tell you.

Hope this helps (at least a bit!).

Regards
Jen
Old Mar 17th 2011, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice
Default Re: Another question about rental.....

Thanks Jen, i think i would be tempted to 6-8 week rental, take the pressure and panic off somewhat! Will also have a dog too, so may be even harder to find suitable rental?? Then again will a holiday rental allow us to collect our little Reggie and live there ???????

Originally Posted by Genevieve
Hi Lois!

It would probably be better if you book for a minimum 6 weeks for a holiday rental. We have lots of people stay with us (particularly from the UK) that are surprised by two things: 1) that their container gets delayed (which seems to be inevitable), and 2) that they don't get the first, second or third house they put in for. There's a shortage of rental properties in Perth and as a result there just isn't the same kind of availability of properties that you might be used to.

Also, in terms of when a property becomes available - that also depends on a thousand different things - are there tenants currently in there? When will their lease run out? Or if there are owners living there, when will they be moving out? You can imagine that there are as many different answers to these kinds of questions as there are properties! However you can always ask the property manager, they should be able to tell you.

Hope this helps (at least a bit!).

Regards
Jen