Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another medical question

Another medical question

Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:27 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future
Default Another medical question

Hi all we done our x-rays last week and got our meds this wednesday, could anyone tell me if we have to send them off or is it the responsibility ?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:28 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future
Default Re: Another medical question

Originally Posted by daveplumber
Hi all we done our x-rays last week and got our meds this wednesday, could anyone tell me if we have to send them off or is it the responsibility ?
of the doctors, sorry cut it short
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the rough

Hi dave we have booked are meds this friday and we are doing medical&x ray together so i think the doctor should send them off together, were are you having meds,we are going to manchester.just thought i think the doctor only looks at x ray and you keep them i think. good luck anyway
gaz
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

X-rays and medical forms are sent off by the doctor directly to Australia.
If you have the x-rays done elsewhere, before the meds, then expect a sealed envelope which the doctor will probably open and glance over before sending the whole lot off.

This is to stop you switching your x-rays or tampering with the medical forms in any way.

On the plus side, it is one thing less for you to worry about dealing with.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:12 pm
Essex Staffy

Originally Posted by Gaz & Sue
Hi dave we have booked are meds this friday and we are doing medical&x ray together so i think the doctor should send them off together, were are you having meds,we are going to manchester.just thought i think the doctor only looks at x ray and you keep them i think. good luck anyway
gaz
Thanks Gaz our meds are being done in southend essex, had the x-rays done last thurs
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:15 pm
Essex Staffy

Originally Posted by esperanza
X-rays and medical forms are sent off by the doctor directly to Australia.
If you have the x-rays done elsewhere, before the meds, then expect a sealed envelope which the doctor will probably open and glance over before sending the whole lot off.

This is to stop you switching your x-rays or tampering with the medical forms in any way.

On the plus side, it is one thing less for you to worry about dealing with.
they were done seperately and yes we have a sealed envelope, you have obviously been there esperanza, are the medicals very in depth my 2 young daughters are quite apprehensive ?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:38 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gaz & Sue
gaz

Hi Gaz

Are you going to Dr Million? we went to him last week hes really nice, nothing to worry about at all. The doctor send them off to Oz you dont get to see them.

Joex
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

they were done seperately and yes we have a sealed envelope, you have obviously been there esperanza, are the medicals very in depth my 2 young daughters are quite apprehensive ?
I have heard various things about the meds for children - some people found the doctors not very sympathetic, others have sung their praises - I think it really depends on who you go to.
You can expect them to take blood, and ask for a urine sample - you will know best how your kids will respond to that.
They will also feel the torso - listen to chest, gently push stomach, get you to cough whilst putting pressure on belly. They will gently push against your leg/arm and get you to push against them - so there is a fair bit of physical contact, although obviously it should all be totally professional.
They'll probably have you strip to undies as well.

I assume parents can be with children throughout - I certainly would want to be - but as I don't have children I can't say for sure what their meds are like or if they are exactly the same. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who can give you better info on that!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

I think doctors vary but when my two had their medicals (they were 11 and 14 at the time) they did not have to have any blood tests but did have to provide urine samples whilst we were there. I stayed with my youngest throughout the whole process (the x-rays and medicals bit, not whilst he was providing his sample!) but the oldest insisted I left the room when he had his chest x-ray done.

I was very suprised to see just how little is involved. We had our x-rays taken, then we were all weighed and had a blood pressure test (not sure about the lads on the bp test) and an eye test by a nurse. I had my bloods done then we went to see the doc who just listened to our hearts and checked reflexes. I had one or two more things done but as far as the kids were concerned that was it. Get your daughters to think of it more as a check-up rather than a medical, that may help a bit.

The worst bit was paying the fee at the end but eh it was worth it in the end.

Good luck with everything

Mx