Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another electrical license question.....

Another electrical license question.....

Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

swiftinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another electrical license question.....

Hello there, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have been here for a year now and only secured casual work as an electrician for 8 months of that. I really need to be licensed. I have a trade certificate for electrical mechanic and I am thinking of going down the peer route. As I am in NSW I am not sure wether I will be able to change my SA license to a NSW one. I have done a lot of research into this but I cant seem to get a straight answer from anywhere! I spoke to the fair trading NSW people and they were adamant that I would not get a NSW license without 12 months on the job experience and electrotechnology 3 certificate. Does anyone have recent experience of the peer route for changing to NSW license?? I am also well aware of the NOLA program, which, according to there website is going to be rolled out in 2013. From what I can gather, it is perfectly legal to work in NSW on a SA license anyway, can anyone confirm this please? I can imagine going for an interview, showing them a SA license and having to argue with them as to its legality in NSW!! So, any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Paul.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:26 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another electrical license question.....

Originally Posted by swiftinoz
Hello there, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have been here for a year now and only secured casual work as an electrician for 8 months of that. I really need to be licensed. I have a trade certificate for electrical mechanic and I am thinking of going down the peer route. As I am in NSW I am not sure wether I will be able to change my SA license to a NSW one. I have done a lot of research into this but I cant seem to get a straight answer from anywhere! I spoke to the fair trading NSW people and they were adamant that I would not get a NSW license without 12 months on the job experience and electrotechnology 3 certificate. Does anyone have recent experience of the peer route for changing to NSW license?? I am also well aware of the NOLA program, which, according to there website is going to be rolled out in 2013. From what I can gather, it is perfectly legal to work in NSW on a SA license anyway, can anyone confirm this please? I can imagine going for an interview, showing them a SA license and having to argue with them as to its legality in NSW!! So, any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Paul.
Hi Paul,

Ths would probably be better asked in the electricians forum (http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97). I do know that to go the PEER route you need an ARTC. If you have this, you should still be okay for an SA license, and there is at least one thread in the forum of changing an SA license to an NSW one.

Good luck
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:24 am
Just Joined

swiftinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another electrical license question.....

ok, thanks ill put it in the electrical section.