Reload this Page >

Another citizenship question

Another citizenship question

Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

popeye will become famous soon enoughpopeye will become famous soon enough
Default Another citizenship question

Hey
I have done quite a bit of seaching and think i have found the answer im looking for but just want to run though it again with you guys
We arrived late june 06 on a 136, but in the last 4 months i have had to pop back to the uk 3 times as my mother was very ill and sadly passed away at the start of this month, was away for 16 days, then another 16 days and then lastly 8 days.
Now the question is, can we still apply for citizenship say at the end of sept ?( ie, we would have done the 730 days ) the bit that got me was 12 months in the 24 before applying.

Many thanks

pops
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another citizenship question

The "12 month requirement" means a total of 365 days in the 2 years before you apply.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by popeye
Hey
I have done quite a bit of seaching and think i have found the answer im looking for but just want to run though it again with you guys
We arrived late june 06 on a 136, but in the last 4 months i have had to pop back to the uk 3 times as my mother was very ill and sadly passed away at the start of this month, was away for 16 days, then another 16 days and then lastly 8 days.
Now the question is, can we still apply for citizenship say at the end of sept ?( ie, we would have done the 730 days ) the bit that got me was 12 months in the 24 before applying.

Many thanks

pops

To avoid all the confusion call the immigration line, get to the citizenship like, give your passport number and they will give you the exact date that you are eligible.......
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
To avoid all the confusion call the immigration line, get to the citizenship like, give your passport number and they will give you the exact date that you are eligible.......
Lots of people are given wrong information by doing just this.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Lots of people are given wrong information by doing just this.
Serious ? So you are saying the citizenship hotline is giving out wrong information ? I did that and thought rather than read all the internet and try and make sure ething is ok - talk to immigration. They were accurate.

Plus you can take down their name and call back again in a month (before you actually apply) just to ensure that the first person has given out the right info...
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Serious ? So you are saying the citizenship hotline is giving out wrong information ? I did that and thought rather than read all the internet and try and make sure ething is ok - talk to immigration. They were accurate.

Plus you can take down their name and call back again in a month (before you actually apply) just to ensure that the first person has given out the right info...
The people who answer the queries at the citizenship line are call centre employees, so don't necessarily know the correct answers to all enquiries.

I personally would rely on JAJ's knowledge of these things. He's pretty switched on as far as the requirements go.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

So as long as i have done 365 days before applying and 730 in total then im good to apply, and it doesn't matter that i popped back to the uk so wasn't 365 in a row?

many thanks

pops
Originally Posted by JAJ
The "12 month requirement" means a total of 365 days in the 2 years before you apply.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by popeye
So as long as i have done 365 days before applying and 730 in total then im good to apply, and it doesn't matter that i popped back to the uk so wasn't 365 in a row?

many thanks

pops
Thats right. 365 of the 730 days have to be in the 2 years before applying, but need not be consecutive.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks pollyanna
will have to work out when i can excatley apply then,still got the test to do yet lol
we didnt mind having to wait 12 months if it had to be 365 days in a row but would rather do it sooner than later

pops
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats right. 365 of the 730 days have to be in the 2 years before applying, but need not be consecutive.