Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

American Fridge Freezer

American Fridge Freezer

Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Re: American Fridge Freezer

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Seriously? Like any other electrical appliance that you bring over here, you go to Bunnings, buy a plug for a dollar, and change the plug yourself in a minute. Please don't say that you get an electrician in for that.
Except that the voltage here in Aus is 240, whereas most US appliances are 110 but I see from your location you're in blighty, SO if it's a UK version of a US make ( intended to run on 240v) then no problem .....

If you're shipping a container, bring it with you, but bear in mind that it will not get here until 6 to 12 weeks after you arrive. I ended up buying one here whilst waiting for my container to arrive - body temperature and hotter beer is not nice ;-)
It will make an impressive beer fridge

Last edited by Rossi; Jan 16th 2010 at 3:15 am.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I'd ship it. You really need a lot of fridge space here, as so many more foodstuffs need to be stored there and not the pantry. You might that you shop differently, eg buying a kilo block of cheese as it's a lot cheaper than a smaller size, or shopping less often but with a huge trolley-load.

We needed a new fridge last year but I couldn't find one that I liked or was big enough, so I bought 2 fridge/freezers to have side by side. A lot of the Australian side-by-side models have quite narrow freezer sections and not a lot of fridge space. Some of the salesmen made a point of asking if our front door was wide enough to get a big fridge in - apparently some people buy these large fridges without checking the measurements first and the deliveryman can't get them through the door .
Old Jan 16th 2010, 8:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I'd leave it!

Assuming it's a 240v model all you'd need to do is change the plug - obviously if it's a 120v US model you need a robust transformer and somewhere to put it.

But.......

The problem with fridges is that they are not modular. Dishwashers, ovens and the like are all modular, and can be fitted into units and spaces easily. But fridges come in all shapes and sizes: some are tall and slim, some short and fat, some tall and fat etc. And, since they are big things, they have to fit into a kitchen wherever there is the space.

We bought a fridge freezer to fit into a rental kitchen fridge space when we were building - and it took literally weeks before we found one that would go into the space. Even then we had to remove skirting boards! Later on, when we moved rentals, the fridge space was amply high - and a couple of inches too narrow: we ended up with it in the hall.

If you are going to build you can make the space to fit - but otherwise you may well have size problems.

Size matters!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Just measure the fridge/freezer and make sure you rent or buy a place that it will fit into comfortably.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Just measure the fridge/freezer and make sure you rent or buy a place that it will fit into comfortably.
As I said, easier said than done unless the kitchen has no units or bags of empty space. If it's only got a fridge recess and it's an inch less wide than the fridge......

You have been warned!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tramway
Thanks. Whirlpool American Side by Side with the ice and water on freezer side.
Definately bring it, I repair them for a living and Whirlpool is one of the better makes and has been said is a popular make here and will have no problem getting it fixed if it goes wrong.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

tramway will become famous soon enoughtramway will become famous soon enough

Cheers all think we've finally settled on bringing it.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
If you are already planning to send a container then ship everything that isn't nailed down. I mean, what's the worse that can happen?. It breaks and you have to buy a new one. If you don't bring it you would have to do that anyway.
That's good advice.