Reload this Page >

American in Australia

American in Australia

Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Username1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American in Australia

Hi Everyone,

My husband (American) and I (Aust. Citizen) are thinking of moving back to Australia - we're currently living in the U.S.

I was just wondering, what are the Aussie sentiments about Americans? With everything going on at the moment, I just want to prepare my husband and myself because I am expecting that attitudes may not be positive towards Americans, though I may be wrong.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

waustralish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: American in Australia

Originally Posted by Username1979
Hi Everyone,

My husband (American) and I (Aust. Citizen) are thinking of moving back to Australia - we're currently living in the U.S.

I was just wondering, what are the Aussie sentiments about Americans? With everything going on at the moment, I just want to prepare my husband and myself because I am expecting that attitudes may not be positive towards Americans, though I may be wrong.

Cheers

I personally think that it doesn't matter what nationality you are the Aussies will have something to say about it, whether good or bad but that's part of being in Australia.

Don't worry about it and go with the flow.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

There will always be some people with negative opinions who love to generalize about Americans, Poms, New Zealanders etc etc. You should just ignore such people.

I think it'll be down to what your husband is like as a person!
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:07 pm
wombat42

Hi Everyone,

Cheers
Well atleast John Howard will like you.

Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

If you're eligible for US citizenship have you thought about the pros and cons of becoming naturalised before you leave the US? You now keep Australian citizenship. Your green card will likely be lost once you leave the US if you don't take citizenship.

Jeremy
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:57 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

He's just a yank, and most wont give a shit
Old Jan 27th 2005, 11:25 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

That was my charming husbands way of saying that most people don't care WHAT you are, just WHO you are.
I haven't had any issues since moving here (Almost a year now!!) but I get asked frequently if I'm American (I'm Canadian )

I shouldn't be an issue unless you make it one.

Siren
Old Jan 27th 2005, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Username1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: American in Australia

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

I know he'll be okay he's got a good attitude about everything, I guess I just want him to have a good moving experience. And yes I do agree its up to the person.

In regards to waiting to become a dual, thats another thing we're thinking of doing so I guess we will start the process a few months before I become eligible for U.S. citizenship.

Cheers and thanks again.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 12:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

In regards to waiting to become a dual, thats another thing we're thinking of doing so I guess we will start the process a few months before I become eligible for U.S. citizenship.

Cheers and thanks again.

Don't forget the processing time for US citizenship. I believe you can file up to 90 days before you reach the residence requirement but you should check this on a US forum. Also - it's usually best not to cut things too fine.

Another point to consider is how close you are to the threshold for being a 'long term relationship' - this is explained in the Partner Migration Booklet and it means he will get a PR visa straight away. It is assessed at time of *application* for the visa.

If he gets a visa and you are not ready to make the move proper, the visa can be validated with a holiday in Australia before the 'first entry date'.

Jeremy
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:43 am
PommieLeague

What does a seppo mean?

Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:11 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lathlain
What does a seppo mean?

I'm lost.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:44 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

What does a seppo mean?
American --> Yank --> Tank --> Septic --> Seppo.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 10:34 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

What does a seppo mean?
Priceless

Paul J
Old Jan 30th 2005, 5:02 pm
Emz
Just Joined

Emz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Siren
That was my charming husbands way of saying that most people don't care WHAT you are, just WHO you are.
I haven't had any issues since moving here (Almost a year now!!) but I get asked frequently if I'm American (I'm Canadian )

I shouldn't be an issue unless you make it one.

Siren

Siren - My husband's Canadian too, I'm Irish/British. We're planning on making the move sometime next year (just got our visas) and we were wondering if he'd have a hard time because of his accent.....it's reassuring to hear you haven't had a problem....

........but maybe your voice isn't as loud as his??!

Thanks