am i mad

Old Mar 10th 2008, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

paddymango is an unknown quantity at this point
Default am i mad

hi i spent a couple of years in australia about 7 years ago now and i`ve been thinking of going back ever since . i`ve relatives in sydney and some good friends in melbourne.i`m not too bothered what part of the country i end up in so long as i`ve work. i`m thinking of heading out there in june on a holiday visa in the hope of finding a sponsor , i`m a brickie by trade . i`m just a little worried now that this might be the wrong way of going about things , the trip over will cost a fair amount and i`ll need to buy a car and food , rent etc while looking for a builder to sponsor me to stay there. i`m getting a case of the eeby geebys now as june draws closer and i`m just worried the trip will turn out an expensive disaster. can anyone offer some advice or information on whether this is a good way to approach things or not

cheers barry
Old Mar 10th 2008, 6:50 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all
Default Re: am i mad

My opinion:

In the big scheme of things I think its definitely worth taking a look-see before you go. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a job - provided you don't mind any type of job while you're waiting. Rent can be as expensive/inexpensive as you are willing to pay (from what I've seen on www.domain.com.au or www.realestate.com.au)

Best of luck with it
Irish Gal
Old Mar 10th 2008, 6:54 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paddymango
hi i spent a couple of years in australia about 7 years ago now and i`ve been thinking of going back ever since . i`ve relatives in sydney and some good friends in melbourne.i`m not too bothered what part of the country i end up in so long as i`ve work. i`m thinking of heading out there in june on a holiday visa in the hope of finding a sponsor , i`m a brickie by trade . i`m just a little worried now that this might be the wrong way of going about things , the trip over will cost a fair amount and i`ll need to buy a car and food , rent etc while looking for a builder to sponsor me to stay there. i`m getting a case of the eeby geebys now as june draws closer and i`m just worried the trip will turn out an expensive disaster. can anyone offer some advice or information on whether this is a good way to approach things or not

cheers barry
why not try going for a skilled independant visa? my list is a bit out of date but brickie was on there and MODL as a 60 point trade check out www.immi.gov.au and look for form 1121i (skilled occupation list) should tell you if it's still there then you don't have to worry about finding a sponsor or being tied to an employer
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

paddymango is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks people . i was thinking of applying for the skilled migration visa last year but never got round to it as work here was good and i had other obligations keeping me here. however the work situation is changing rapidly here now and every second person i speak to is going over to oz so i was thinking i better move fast if i want to have any chance of finding work. my cousin is a carpenter in sydney and he advised me to just get myself out there asap and take things from there , instead of waiting here up to 12 months for a visa i might not even get.
i was happy enough to follow this advice until i started thinking of the what ifs and buts and to be honest i`m worried i won`t be able to find a sponsor which will see me back home 3 months later having to start the whole migration visa application process from scratch
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:24 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paddymango
thanks people . i was thinking of applying for the skilled migration visa last year but never got round to it as work here was good and i had other obligations keeping me here. however the work situation is changing rapidly here now and every second person i speak to is going over to oz so i was thinking i better move fast if i want to have any chance of finding work. my cousin is a carpenter in sydney and he advised me to just get myself out there asap and take things from there , instead of waiting here up to 12 months for a visa i might not even get.
i was happy enough to follow this advice until i started thinking of the what ifs and buts and to be honest i`m worried i won`t be able to find a sponsor which will see me back home 3 months later having to start the whole migration visa application process from scratch
depends how much risk you are willing to take but from what I can gather the new online 175 visa seems to be going through a lot quicker than the old paper based 136 did and still is unfortunately