Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The (almost) definitive guide for UK->Oz baggage allowance for PR visa

The (almost) definitive guide for UK->Oz baggage allowance for PR visa

Old May 16th 2005, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

hopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant future
Smile The (almost) definitive guide for UK->Oz baggage allowance for PR visa

I have done quite a lot of research and thought others might find it useful to capture it all in one place as there seem to be so many bits in different threads. However it isn't 100% complete and if you know something useful please add it and then we might get closer to being definitive (well until the airlines change it again). I have not enquired about hand luggage, but I think that is also larger going West. I did a few enquiries about taking a bicycle over, this generally seems to count as one piece of luggage or they weigh it (ie: don't take a bike east as it'll use up all your allowance and more!).

GOING WEST
2x32kg if plane stops in any USA country. Apparently US legislation requires airlines give this allowance to everyone, it has nothing to do with emigration. Other airlines with direct flights westwards are United Airlines, Air New Zealand and Air Canada. Air NZ 0800 028 4149. United 0845 8444 777.

GOING EAST
Qantas, BA, Virgin, Malaysian airlines don't do any extra migrant baggage allowance, only the standard 20 kg. Malaysian - 0870 607 9090. Qantas - 0845 7 747 767. BA - 0870 8509 850. Virgin - 08705 747 747.

Thai said they might do it and to e-mail their assistant manager [email protected] to find out. Sounds a little risky. 0870 606 0911

Japan Air said they might allow it for one way fares, but sounded a extremely unsure to me. 08457 747 700

Cathay will only allow 40kg if you buy one of their one way migrant fares. These are more expensive than normal single fares, but cheaper than return fares apparently. They don't mind if your passport has been stamped on a validation trip. 020 8834 8888

Singapore Airlines said they will grant 40kg if this is your first trip on your PR visa. You don't have to buy a special migrant fare or even a one way ticket. Though you'd have to leave luggage there as you would only get 20kg for your return journey. This might suit though if you are emigrating, but got a return ticket to see the folks in a years time. A friend of mine has lived in Sydney for three years, comes back every year to see elderly parents and always buys her return tickets in UK as it is cheaper. Someone in another thread has mentioned you lose the extra allowance if you stop over on the way, though you might be able to throw a wobbly / speak nicely to not get charged, but a bit risky.

Emirates will give you 40kg only if you have a one way ticket. They said they need to see a copy of your visa, when I asked if it mattered whether one had validated the visa they didn't seem to sure, but seemed to imply that it didn't, so this might be a good one for those that have validated (tho' obviously check first). They did say you are not allowed stops on the way if you have the extra allowance.

My gut feel is if the extra allowance is important then go west, as the main reason for going east is to stop off and the airlines then seem to cancel the extra allowance anyhow, but horses for courses, if this is your family holiday of a lifetime you may feel differently.

Hope you find this useful and it isn't too patronising.
S :-)
Old May 16th 2005, 7:12 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The (almost) definitive guide for UK->Oz baggage allowance for PR visa

Originally Posted by hopalong
That's a handy guide right there Cheers.
Old May 16th 2005, 8:07 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The (almost) definitive guide for UK->Oz baggage allowance for PR visa

I have done quite a lot of research and thought others might find it useful to capture it all in one place as there seem to be so many bits in different threads. However it isn't 100% complete and if you know something useful please add it and then we might get closer to being definitive (well until the airlines change it again). I have not enquired about hand luggage, but I think that is also larger going West. I did a few enquiries about taking a bicycle over, this generally seems to count as one piece of luggage or they weigh it (ie: don't take a bike east as it'll use up all your allowance and more!).

GOING WEST
2x32kg if plane stops in any USA country. Apparently US legislation requires airlines give this allowance to everyone, it has nothing to do with emigration. Other airlines with direct flights westwards are United Airlines, Air New Zealand and Air Canada. Air NZ 0800 028 4149. United 0845 8444 777.

GOING EAST
Qantas, BA, Virgin, Malaysian airlines don't do any extra migrant baggage allowance, only the standard 20 kg. Malaysian - 0870 607 9090. Qantas - 0845 7 747 767. BA - 0870 8509 850. Virgin - 08705 747 747.

Thai said they might do it and to e-mail their assistant manager [email protected] to find out. Sounds a little risky. 0870 606 0911

Japan Air said they might allow it for one way fares, but sounded a extremely unsure to me. 08457 747 700

Cathay will only allow 40kg if you buy one of their one way migrant fares. These are more expensive than normal single fares, but cheaper than return fares apparently. They don't mind if your passport has been stamped on a validation trip. 020 8834 8888

Singapore Airlines said they will grant 40kg if this is your first trip on your PR visa. You don't have to buy a special migrant fare or even a one way ticket. Though you'd have to leave luggage there as you would only get 20kg for your return journey. This might suit though if you are emigrating, but got a return ticket to see the folks in a years time. A friend of mine has lived in Sydney for three years, comes back every year to see elderly parents and always buys her return tickets in UK as it is cheaper. Someone in another thread has mentioned you lose the extra allowance if you stop over on the way, though you might be able to throw a wobbly / speak nicely to not get charged, but a bit risky.

Emirates will give you 40kg only if you have a one way ticket. They said they need to see a copy of your visa, when I asked if it mattered whether one had validated the visa they didn't seem to sure, but seemed to imply that it didn't, so this might be a good one for those that have validated (tho' obviously check first). They did say you are not allowed stops on the way if you have the extra allowance.

My gut feel is if the extra allowance is important then go west, as the main reason for going east is to stop off and the airlines then seem to cancel the extra allowance anyhow, but horses for courses, if this is your family holiday of a lifetime you may feel differently.

In addition to this great guide... my hubby contacted IOM & got this response...

Dear Steven

Thank you very much for your inquiry.

For new migrants coming to Australia with skilled migration visa or any permanent visa, IOM offers discounted fares and concessional baggage allowance on Qantas and some other flights operating from/to Australia. Flights on carriers other than with Qantas airways often follow the standard baggage allowance. Where a non-Qantas carrier is used you may need to pay for excess baggage direct to the airline concerned when checking in for departure.

To be eligible for our concession fares and baggage allowance all travel must be booked and paid to IOM.

Please note that Qantas may not operate out of your departure city. If this is the case, a combination of discounted fares and normal economy fares may be quoted.

The baggage allowance only applies to personal luggage. If you wish to move items by freight or cargo please contact Australian Customs Services at www.customs.gov.au.

In order to give you a travel quote please specify:

-Number of passengers (please provide the age if your family includes children under 12 years old)

-the city of departure

-the city of arrival in Australia

-Preferred departure date

Please note that the costing may change due to airfare increases or currency exchange rate fluctuations. Therefore, IOM will advise you of the exact cost after the actual airline booking has been made.

IOM cannot make travel arrangements until all Australian Immigration requirements have been met and visas and passports issued for each person traveling. Please ensure that you have all the necessary visas before your departure.

Payment: There are a number of ways that payment can be made. The preferred method of payment is through telegraphic transfer directly to IOM Canberra (in AUD). We cannot accept the payment by credit card or personal cheque.

If you have a friend or relative in Australia who can pay IOM Canberra on your behalf either by electronic transfer, or by bank cheque or money order sent to IOM Canberra. If these options are not suitable, IOM Canberra can arrange for payment to be made to an IOM Office closest to you.

Please note that it is a condition of travel that once payment has been received and the tickets issued no refund will be made for cancellations. After the tickets have been issued any fees or changes in fares due to date changes, the incorrect name of passengers or destination changes will must be borne by you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further queries regarding IOM-assisted travel.

Best regards,

Keiko Y Foster

International Organisation for Migration (IOM)

PO Box 1009, Civic Square ACT 2608 AUSTRALIA

Last edited by Jonahs_mummy; May 16th 2005 at 8:14 pm.
Old May 16th 2005, 9:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Qantas do a 40kg allowance, but you have to book their migrant fare, which is usually a lot more expensive than the normal one.

In addition - whichever airline you are going with, get the extra baggage allowance confirmed in writing - do not rely on turning up at the airport and getting it anyway. You may have a nasty shock!
Old May 17th 2005, 12:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

GOING WEST
This baggage allowance is standard for Canada as well as the US.

If travelling via the US make sure your passport meets US requirements for the visa waiver (machine readable, and children with their own passports) otherwise you'll get no further than check-in. People holding British passports that say something other than 'British citizen' for nationality will require a US visa to transit the US.

Make sure the 2*32kg baggage allowance will be honoured on *all* domestic connections.

You cannot take more than two suitcases per person.

Jeremy
Old May 17th 2005, 1:14 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Just a quick note on Singapore Airlines. They do indeed tell you that 40kg is the PR allowance when you book the ticket (and I was checked in at London with 40kg ok), but at Singapore when I checked in for my second leg to Australia (I had a one night stopover), I was told that the allowance was only 35kg! After much arguing, I was eventually allowed on the flight. So as Pollyanna says - best to get it in writing!

Of course, there are a few tricks to getting extra weight on board. You are allowed a laptop bag on board, in addition to other cabin luggage, which does'nt count towards your weight. Any small, heavy items you have can be put in this along with the laptop. You can also put small heavy items in a coat you carry with you over your arm. I actually took 49kg on my migration flight - 40kg was in my checked in luggage, the other 9kg was in my laptop bag and my coat (phew - that was a heavy coat!).

Budgie
Old May 17th 2005, 9:51 am
Wannabee Queenslander

badri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant future

Hi

Not ture I checked with singapore airlines in The Netherlands. They say you are allowed only 20 kg per person. If you travel straight to brisbane then you can buy 10 kg for 55 euro and you get 10 kg free

I also had some problems with singapore airlines
I am not happy about it
So going to send them an email

Lets see what happens

Badri
Old May 17th 2005, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

hopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=badri]Hi

Not ture I checked with singapore airlines in The Netherlands. They say you are allowed only 20 kg per person. If you travel straight to brisbane then you can buy 10 kg for 55 euro and you get 10 kg free

I don't claim to know anything about Netherlands, which is why I titled it "Uk-> Oz."

Good luck, perhaps if you ring the UK they might be able to update the Netherlands office as the UK office seemed fully clued up and didn't need any prompting from me. Uk tel number is 0870 608 8886. And also my info is only for those with a Permanet Resident visa that are on their first visit to Oz.

I also forgot to put in the Emirates phone number in my original post of 0870 243 2222.

Regards
S
Old May 17th 2005, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Budgie
Just a quick note on Singapore Airlines. They do indeed tell you that 40kg is the PR allowance when you book the ticket (and I was checked in at London with 40kg ok), but at Singapore when I checked in for my second leg to Australia (I had a one night stopover), I was told that the allowance was only 35kg! After much arguing, I was eventually allowed on the flight. So as Pollyanna says - best to get it in writing!
Budgie
There seems to be a consistent problem on the second leg for those doing stopovers. For both Emirates & Singapore the 40kg only applies if you are not stopping over.
Old May 17th 2005, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

GOING WEST

GOING EAST

Qantas do 40kg to migrants. http://www.gomatilda.co.uk/personal_...travelling.cfm