Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

for all of you on 'partner-visas'

for all of you on 'partner-visas'

Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about
Default for all of you on 'partner-visas'

what made you decide to move to australia rather than have your partner move to your home country?
with us it isnt really an option as 'the man' has a business in australia which he couldnt really step out of at the moment without losing lots of money, but i'm curious as to what made you decide on where to live....is it for business reasons, because you dont like the place your living in now, because your partner doesnt like where you're living now...i'm sure there's plenty of other reasons....feel free to share

tanja
Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: for all of you on 'partner-visas'

Originally Posted by sunny side up
what made you decide to move to australia rather than have your partner move to your home country?
with us it isnt really an option as 'the man' has a business in australia which he couldnt really step out of at the moment without losing lots of money, but i'm curious as to what made you decide on where to live....is it for business reasons, because you dont like the place your living in now, because your partner doesnt like where you're living now...i'm sure there's plenty of other reasons....feel free to share

tanja

Actually I moved to the UK to be with my husband. He has a previous marriage and a daughter from that marriage. So there was no 'choice' to be made as I would never have dreamt of separating them.
Unfortunately his ex is a bitter, evil money-grabbing (many other names I cannot print) woman. And she has done her best over the years to destroy the relationship he and his daughter had. And she succeeded eventually. We have fought against it for a very long time and struggled through some terrible emotional times. Sadly, there doesn't seem any chance of a reconciliation in the foreseeable future. We have a bitter little 8 year old who doesn't actually know why she hates her dad but just does. And she can send us hate mail just as easily in Oz as in the UK.
So the move to Oz is a fresh start for us. And hopefully one day she will want to contact us and try to work through the screwed up mess her mother has given her. My family are there and our standard of living will be better. There are a million and one little reasons but that's the main one.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

She hates the weather, simple as that.

Can't say I'm too disappointed with her decision though
Old Oct 11th 2004, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Cat_Harrison is on a distinguished road

We're both (my partner and I) from the UK... went out in January to visit the in-laws after their move to Australia last October... and just really loved it.

So hopefully the grass will stay greener on the Australian side!
Old Oct 11th 2004, 9:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We figured that I could cope with the upheaval of a new country better than The Bloke could. He is a real creature of habit, his family is like his security blanket, and when he visited the UK although he enjoyed it, I don't think he felt really comfortable.
Also I loved Australia, and quite liked the idea of living here - still do, though its not always plain sailing.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 9:54 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Although he is Aus, he has lived here most of his life. It is just something we have to do.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately his ex is a bitter, evil money-grabbing (many other names I cannot print) woman. And she has done her best over the years to destroy the relationship he and his daughter had. And she succeeded eventually. We have fought against it for a very long time and struggled through some terrible emotional times. Sadly, there doesn't seem any chance of a reconciliation in the foreseeable future. We have a bitter little 8 year old who doesn't actually know why she hates her dad but just does.

We are moving for a fresh start for both of us, but I know exactly how you both feel as I have gone through exactly the same thing as this for the last 10 years.

A friend of mine said to make a clean break and when my daughter is old enough to understand the 'evil' that has been 'planted' in her mind then she will come looking for me. I have sent letters, presents, E-Mail addresses and phone numbers but I think all of these have been intercepted.

On the other side, my partners ex is not really interested in seeing his kids even since we told him that we may be moving in less then 4 months and we're off on holiday in 10 days. He has not made any effort to see them or even keep his promises of telephone calls etc.

So basically we are going for a fresh start for all of us and to show the kids how proper families live and enjoy things.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 11:23 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

My partner has a nine year old daughter whom he didnt want to be away from. My choice was to move here to be with him, or to live in the UK without him. It was an easy choice to make, but a sometimes difficult one to live out.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 11:40 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

BAsically MY husband came here (the Uk) on a working holiday visa 3.5 yrs ago, met me and felll in love (well thats what I tell him).

We have spent most of our time in the UK trying to save money to buy a house and have got no where. we both work hard and have well (ish) paid jobs and still cant get on the property ladder.

AN opportunity came up to buy a business in Geraldton, the town where husband is from and we went for it.

Never would we have the same opportunity in the UK so I we can tsee why we should stay here to be stagnant.

Thats is pretty much it

JayDeee
Old Oct 12th 2004, 4:36 pm
Anna

Peanuts100 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JayDeee
BAsically MY husband came here (the Uk) on a working holiday visa 3.5 yrs ago, met me and felll in love (well thats what I tell him).

We have spent most of our time in the UK trying to save money to buy a house and have got no where. we both work hard and have well (ish) paid jobs and still cant get on the property ladder.

AN opportunity came up to buy a business in Geraldton, the town where husband is from and we went for it.

Never would we have the same opportunity in the UK so I we can tsee why we should stay here to be stagnant.

Thats is pretty much it

JayDeee
I met my hubbie in Sydney ( where he is from) when I was living there for a year on a working visa. I fell in love with the place straight away and knew that with or without him I would love to live there ( although I would never be without him!!). And anywhere is better than Leicester!!!!!!
Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:28 pm
LKB
Just Joined

LKB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I moved to Brisbane from London as my boyfriend (ben) had already spent 4 years in London and hated it and was desparate to go home. It was only fair that I gave it a try. The big factor was we couldn't buy a house and if we wanted kids in the future then we couldn't afford it. I don't have much of an argument because since being in Brisbane (arrived in Jan 04), we have bought a house, have good jobs and saved heaps. However, if I had a choice I would be in the UK with my family (we are both close to my family) but Ben wouldn't follow so here I am.

Brisbane is great though and if I had to be anywhere other then the UK it would be here )
Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:23 am
Swiss, in Brisbane

Barbara_CH is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sunny side up

tanja
My boyfriend doesn't speak Swiss and can't get a work permit in Switzerland. Plus he could never ever live without the beach! I am much happier here too...simply because of the climate!
Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:52 am
T&P
Forum Regular

T&P is on a distinguished road

My hubby has lived in UK for six years. ( Had Dutch passport thanks to his parents).

I have visited Australia twice and loved it.

We both want our own home and a family one day soon but not in London so..........went out and bought a house in Feb and move in early Nov.

I love my life in Uk but...........don't want to stay in London forever and can't see it working elsewhere in UK so...........we are going to give Australia a try.

If it doesn't work we will return.

T x
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:42 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

My honey and I met of all places... ONLINE! After visits back and forth and MUCH contemplation we decided that it was in the best interest of our children (together we have 4) for me and my kids to be the one to move.

I was living in a french province in Canada that could have proved very difficult language-wise for him (and his business) and his children as immigrants MUST attend french school.

That, coupled with the legalities of removing children from thier birth country pretty much made the decision for us.

There were many other little factors (housing, weather, lifestyle) that went into it as well.

So far so good... specially considering the wedding is tomorrow!!

Siren