Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

National Childrens Savings Bond

National Childrens Savings Bond

Old Oct 13th 2004, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Sydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really nice
Default National Childrens Savings Bond

Both our children have National Savings Childrens Bonus Bonds that were a present from Grandparents on there first birthday. They will be worth about £2.5k each when they reach 16 years old.

Will they have any tax implications? or as they are a gift for children would they be tax free?

They are worth about £2k each at present. Would it be better to cash them in and open Aus accts for them?
Old Oct 13th 2004, 9:58 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: National Childrens Savings Bond

Originally Posted by Sydney The Dog
Both our children have National Savings Childrens Bonus Bonds that were a present from Grandparents on there first birthday. They will be worth about £2.5k each when they reach 16 years old.

Will they have any tax implications? or as they are a gift for children would they be tax free?

They are worth about £2k each at present. Would it be better to cash them in and open Aus accts for them?
Dont have a clue about the tax implications I'm afraid, I just cashed our kids in and got a better interest rate on a halifax internet account and then i brought it over when i came to Oz
Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Sydney The Dog

I think the the tax implication would only be on the final value, in A$, versus the value in A$ at the time that you move over. Any difference would be taxable as income.
Unfortunately, UK tax free investments are not tax free here. For example - any UK Premium Bond winnings are taxable here

Gifts from grandparents themselves may be tax free, but any income generated by the gift should be taxable income, at ordinary rates of tax.

Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:22 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
I just cashed our kids in

How much did you get for them?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

They have a guaranteed value on each anniversary, if you cash them early you'll just lose out on the extra bonus paid at the end of the 5 year period. The rates have not been that terrifc recently mind, so the bonuses are nothing special.

I have been trying to find out what can be done with ISA's & other savings plans. I was told you can keep your ISA, just not add to it, when you are no longer a UK resident. Also I found I can keep my share dealing account.

Rgds Jim