Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For All Those Still In The Uk

For All Those Still In The Uk

Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:07 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: For All Those Still In The Uk

Originally Posted by Wol
"Can-do attitude"? Have you ever lived in Oz?

I think the defining thing here is exactly the opposite. There *are* some shining exceptions, but the overall attitude is that the customer will take what he's given - even if it's not what he chose paid for - and will just accept it. There's an almost total lack of interest in improving anything, whether it's stock control, quality or availability.

I spent the last two days driving round and round trying to buy a few dozen 210mm nuts and bolts and washers. One store had three washers, one had four bolts and no nuts - and this in a country area where farmers are two a penny.

OMG - I've turned into Arkon! But he's right.
Another "I moved to rural Australia and can't get everything I used to get in suburban Britain" post. Well, duh.

What were the names of these stores? Potential customers have the right to know! <g>

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 4th 2007 at 10:10 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: For All Those Still In The Uk

To all these people who seemed disillusioned by Australia, can I ask you what first made you want to migrate there and the reasons?

Cheers

Est
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sambo76
To all these people who seemed disillusioned by Australia, can I ask you what first made you want to migrate there and the reasons?

Cheers

Est
Pretty much the same as yours. Nobody moves here because they think it would be worse than the UK! But it hasn't worked for us. And it doesn't work for a lot of people in the same way it does work for a lot of people. It's a huge gamble to leave what you're leaving in the UK. You have to weigh up what you're prepared to lose if it does go pear shaped.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
Yeah Tracey, like in the MBBUK forum you can dare mention Australia is a great place to live! (which it is)
Totaly pathetic response as usual.

The purpose of the MBTTUK is not the same as this one. Most people moving back to the UK have lived most of their lives there, so they know what it's like. They don't need insecure Aussies dropping in every five minutes to tell them how stupid they are being because Australia is paradise and the UK is a sh*thole.

This forum, on the other hand, is for discussing Australian life and culture, and that includes good and bad. It may be useful for people who have never lived here to hear some of the negatives.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:32 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone is disillusioned in Aus. I like it here. But today it's pissing rain and cold (no great suprise it's autumn - and autumn and winter suck wherever you are). I got up in the dark, didn't go to the beach (not great swimming weather today!), the sky is a nasty shade of grey (and looks to remain that way for today's duration) and I won't be having a barbecue later.

It's natural to be optomistic about the move. But for people who live here, reality takes over. The things you mention either become the norm (though I'd lve to know who for) and so aren't a major deal anymore, or don't happen. Real life kinda gets in the way a bit - I spend more time at work then on the beach. Much like in the UK, really. Telling the realities of that life is not using the forum unconstructively.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Pretty much the same as yours. Nobody moves here because they think it would be worse than the UK! But it hasn't worked for us. And it doesn't work for a lot of people in the same way it does work for a lot of people. It's a huge gamble to leave what you're leaving in the UK. You have to weigh up what you're prepared to lose if it does go pear shaped.
Sorry to hear its not working for you - but at least you have tried it. Better to have given it a go than to wonder what might have been.

Still have hopes for us, student visa and lots of money to pay out, with no guarantee that we can stay....... but its worth trying - at worst we can come back to uk .

Good luck x
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Izzy, you sound like a fun girl to spend time with! I have lived in Queensland for a year & like to look at positives in life, mate- try it. Or, should I start a thread about things that are going to annoy me in Aus... try using this forum more constructively.
Dam it Sambo, you're right - in an effort to be more constructive I have asked all my friends to cancel their real life Monday, forget school and work and come swimming, surfing and then back to mine for a barbie tonight. Your weekends might be like that, but the other 5 days sure as hell won't be, but yes the sunshine will make it a little easier !

Just ask yourself what you spend most time doing in UK - the chances are that you will still spend most time doing it over here - earning money to enjoy the rest of the stuff in the rest of your time !

I love it here, but I live in the real world whichever side of the globe I'm on.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear its not working for you - but at least you have tried it. Better to have given it a go than to wonder what might have been.

Still have hopes for us, student visa and lots of money to pay out, with no guarantee that we can stay....... but its worth trying - at worst we can come back to uk .

Good luck x
I wish you all the very best
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I wish you all the very best
Thanks Tracey

You too, we all want a better life, wherever it may take us xx
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Another "I moved to rural Australia and can't get everything I used to get in suburban Britain" post. Well, duh.

What were the names of these stores? Potential customers have the right to know! <g>
I specifically mentioned "farming" things. The stores were Bunnings, Magnet Mart and Mittagong Hardware.

And Bowral is hardly rural Australia anyway! At least, not in the sense that you imply.

I don't know how long it is since you had the pleasure of living in Oz, Vash, but it's nigh on impossible to get the things you need when building. Half the Turks (electrical wholesalers) outlets had never heard of the energy saving globes that replace the GU10 fittings (as mandated by our BASIX certificate) and the other half had examples of them, but none in stock. And it's like that all over. We are talking here of Campbelltown, Sydney, Bowral, Canberra. Hardly "the sticks".

It's a great place to live, yes: but getting anything done can be a real trial.

Last edited by Wol; Mar 5th 2007 at 12:05 am.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:13 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Exile
Totaly pathetic response as usual.

The purpose of the MBTTUK is not the same as this one. Most people moving back to the UK have lived most of their lives there, so they know what it's like. They don't need insecure Aussies dropping in every five minutes to tell them how stupid they are being because Australia is paradise and the UK is a sh*thole.

This forum, on the other hand, is for discussing Australian life and culture, and that includes good and bad. It may be useful for people who have never lived here to hear some of the negatives.
...And this thread was about the OP asking people what they were looking forward to the most in Oz. But as usual the sad cases here who can't handle it in Oz jump in with their eternal stream of how crap Oz is, you won't like it so don't bother having positve thoughts....
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binky
...And this thread was about the OP asking people what they were looking forward to the most in Oz. But as usual the sad cases here who can't handle it in Oz jump in with their eternal stream of how crap Oz is, you won't like it so don't bother having positve thoughts....
I don't think Oz is crap, but there was some particulary unrealistic stuff in the OP about "can-do attitude", barbecues every day, etc.

Anyway, I was just responding to denver's usual brain-dead drivel.

By all means look forward to a new life in Australia, but don't expect the deluded nonsense to get no response from people who live here and know a different reality.

Regarding your last comment, it is often the sad cases who can't handle it in the UK, and who wish to cop out to some imaginary utopia, that end up being the people who "can't handle" Australia.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:42 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone!
We've been planning our imminent move to Queensland for a few years now & it looks like we should be there by the end of May if there no probs with our house sale (fingers crossed, please).

As with everyone who is or has been in our position we can't stop thinking our all the things that will make our 'new life' great and are just curious what everyone else is looking forward to the most?

Personally, beach before & after work, rainforest on the doorstep, bbqs every night of the week, and no cold, horizontal rain at 6.30 on the long journey to work. Blue skies every day & a can-do attitude held by an entire nation...
I'm sure I will think of more soon, but that will do to start, anyone else?

Before we came here our expectations were not as high as those mentioned in your post. We expected our lives to be similar to our lives in the UK but with better weather, a better house and less financial stress. Having said that we hoped for a home with seaview, pool, great friends, beach everyday, regular barbies, friendly folk, good job for hubby, beach after work (hubby goes body boarding at least 3 times a week and I exercise by power walking along the beach path every night ), healthier lifestyle, happier kids etc. Well I am very fortunate and happy to be able to say that of the above is a reality for us. A combination of research, networking, hard work and luck has resulted in a superb life for us, the reality of living here has far surpassed our expectations and we love it.

So good luck to all and I hope it works out for you.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

I spent the last two days driving round and round trying to buy a few dozen 210mm nuts and bolts and washers. One store had three washers, one had four bolts and no nuts - and this in a country area where farmers are two a penny.

OMG - I've turned into Arkon! But he's right.
Was just going to say....(!)

Did people ever have problems finding nuts in the UK..was never into all that that DIY over there.

Or was it a case of i) if they haven't got it, ii) they'll get it...
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile

Regarding your last comment, it is often the sad cases who can't handle it in the UK, and who wish to cop out to some imaginary utopia, that end up being the people who "can't handle" Australia.
and then refuse to believe it when you can(!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.