British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   For All Those Still In The Uk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/all-those-still-uk-432083/)

sambo76 Mar 4th 2007 8:10 am

For All Those Still In The Uk

Hi Everyone!
We've been planning our imminent move to Queensland for a few years now & it looks like we should be there by the end of May if there no probs with our house sale (fingers crossed, please).

As with everyone who is or has been in our position we can't stop thinking our all the things that will make our 'new life' great and are just curious what everyone else is looking forward to the most?

Personally, beach before & after work, rainforest on the doorstep, bbqs every night of the week, and no cold, horizontal rain at 6.30 on the long journey to work. Blue skies every day & a can-do attitude held by an entire nation...
I'm sure I will think of more soon, but that will do to start, anyone else?

rocket01 Mar 4th 2007 8:35 am

Re: For All Those Still In The Uk

Being miles away from your inlaws :rofl: :rofl:

rebnatoli Mar 4th 2007 8:51 am

We're off in June and I'm looking forward to being warm/hot as I really hate being cold, seeing my OH home before 7pm, lots of new places to explore and a house with a pool and finally giving the in-laws and my Dad a real excuse why they can't visit!

sambo76 Mar 4th 2007 8:56 am

Est is going to undertake a college course whilst when we move to the GC, so for the first 2 years we will live close by for convenience and to kepe costs down. We currently both commute into Birmingham everyday to work- it's 50 miles in each direction, and we're really looking forward to walking to work (in the sunshine)!

sambo76 Mar 4th 2007 8:59 am

Just a thought but won't the inlaws now be visiting for a month at a time?!!
Good luck!

grahampaula Mar 4th 2007 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by sambo76 (Post 4479872)
Hi Everyone!
We've been planning our imminent move to Queensland for a few years now & it looks like we should be there by the end of May if there no probs with our house sale (fingers crossed, please).

As with everyone who is or has been in our position we can't stop thinking our all the things that will make our 'new life' great and are just curious what everyone else is looking forward to the most?

Personally, beach before & after work, rainforest on the doorstep, bbqs every night of the week, and no cold, horizontal rain at 6.30 on the long journey to work. Blue skies every day & a can-do attitude held by an entire nation...

Mainly just getting the hell out of here, but all of the above as well. If our house sale does not go through in time, we will also be in Queensland for three weeks at the end of May. Good luck. :thumbup:

jackie barden Mar 4th 2007 4:35 pm

Hi Everyone!

Hi,
Also been planning the move for a while now and we fly out to Queensland in June. We are looking forward to exploring new areas, being in a warmer climate, with any luck not spending sooooo much time at work, and having abit more quality family time.
Hopefully it will work out like that, we will soon find out.
Just need to get moving now, All the best J and J

JenJen Mar 4th 2007 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by jackie barden (Post 4481025)
Hi,
Also been planning the move for a while now and we fly out to Queensland in June. We are looking forward to exploring new areas, being in a warmer climate, with any luck not spending sooooo much time at work, and having abit more quality family time.
Hopefully it will work out like that, we will soon find out.
Just need to get moving now, All the best J and J

We're looking forward to warmer climate (literally can't cope with the weather between October and April/ MAy in this country without my light box which has made a huge difference).
We're looking forward to having more to do with the kids.
We're looking forward to spending weekends as a family as we don't right now (feel like a single parent at weekends)
The kids are looking forward to spending more time with daddy as they've really missed that the last 6 months.
Looking forward to hopefully not having many if any financial stresses.
Looking forward to meeting the Aussie wildlife as long as it stays out in the wild.
Looking forward to beach trips and walks.
Looking forward to the kids actually having friends that can come round ( my 2 older kids have best friends who are allergic to cat hair :unsure: )
Looking forward to having a back garden the kids can play in ALL year round.
Looking forward to making Aussie and BE friends alike.
Looking forward to maybe venturing round Austrlalia and showing the kids places like Ularu, Tasmania, Sydney, and Australia Zoo is on the kids top list to visit.
Looking forward to having a more time for them and for my husband to have more time for all of us.
And hopefully cars that are more reliable, we've had so many problems with ours we're hoping to get a coupl of decent cars.

Jen

Wol Mar 4th 2007 7:07 pm

Hi Everyone!

"Can-do attitude"? Have you ever lived in Oz?

I think the defining thing here is exactly the opposite. There *are* some shining exceptions, but the overall attitude is that the customer will take what he's given - even if it's not what he chose paid for - and will just accept it. There's an almost total lack of interest in improving anything, whether it's stock control, quality or availability.

I spent the last two days driving round and round trying to buy a few dozen 210mm nuts and bolts and washers. One store had three washers, one had four bolts and no nuts - and this in a country area where farmers are two a penny.

OMG - I've turned into Arkon! But he's right.

Izzy Mar 4th 2007 7:25 pm

Hi Everyone!

Sorry for spoiling the party - but have you tried having those rose tinted glasses removed ?

You're coming to Australia not Utopia !

But we love it here anyway !

sambo76 Mar 4th 2007 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 4481471)
"Can-do attitude"? Have you ever lived in Oz?

I think the defining thing here is exactly the opposite. There *are* some shining exceptions, but the overall attitude is that the customer will take what he's given - even if it's not what he chose paid for - and will just accept it. There's an almost total lack of interest in improving anything, whether it's stock control, quality or availability.

I spent the last two days driving round and round trying to buy a few dozen 210mm nuts and bolts and washers. One store had three washers, one had four bolts and no nuts - and this in a country area where farmers are two a penny.

OMG - I've turned into Arkon! But he's right.

Yes, I lived in Brisbane for a year, thanks Wol

sambo76 Mar 4th 2007 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 4481542)
Sorry for spoiling the party - but have you tried having those rose tinted glasses removed ?

You're coming to Australia not Utopia !

But we love it here anyway !

Izzy, you sound like a fun girl to spend time with! I have lived in Queensland for a year & like to look at positives in life, mate- try it. Or, should I start a thread about things that are going to annoy me in Aus... try using this forum more constructively.

TraceyW Mar 4th 2007 9:51 pm

Here we go again. Somebody dared to give a different, and not so glowing, opinion of Australia and they get slated.:unsure:

denver Mar 4th 2007 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by TraceyW (Post 4482179)
Here we go again. Somebody dared to give a different, and not so glowing, opinion of Australia and they get slated.:unsure:

Yeah Tracey, like in the MBBUK forum you can dare mention Australia is a great place to live! (which it is)

TraceyW Mar 4th 2007 10:03 pm

Denver...Zzzzzzzzzz. Very sad.