Alice Springs

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

ally01payne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alice Springs

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so I'll just say hi to everyone first

I am hoping to graduate from Uni in a few weeks and I'm just contemplating a job offer that I have had in Alice Springs. If all goes to plan I'm hoping to head out in a few weeks in mid May. I have had a trawl through the internet with regards to accommodation and things to do etc but I thought it would be nice to get some info from those who actually live there.

It seems that accommodation down there is quite hard to come by, and the places that are available are quite expensive. I was just wondering if that's the case for the whole town?

I like to get out and about swimming and camping etc. I'm not that into clubs but I do know it's quite a small place, just wondered if there was a decent choice of pubs/bars etc?!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alice Springs

Originally Posted by ally01payne
Hi,

I am hoping to graduate from Uni in a few weeks and I'm just contemplating a job offer that I have had in Alice Springs. If all goes to plan I'm hoping to head out in a few weeks in mid May. I have had a trawl through the internet with regards to accommodation and things to do etc but I thought it would be nice to get some info from those who actually live there.

It seems that accommodation down there is quite hard to come by, and the places that are available are quite expensive. I was just wondering if that's the case for the whole town?

I like to get out and about swimming and camping etc. I'm not that into clubs but I do know it's quite a small place, just wondered if there was a decent choice of pubs/bars etc?!
I don't know where to start . It's getting late here, so my brain's not up to this one at the moment. Just a quick question so that others with engaged brains can assist: what sort of job is it?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Alice Springs is a small town in the middle of a bloody huge desert.

It has a few things like Kmart, lots of tourists, but as far as I know there is not a thriving night life scene.

The Aboriginals and white Australians do not seem to mix (as far as I could see) and there is a bit of a 'them and us' feeling.

To my mind- it would not be my preferred choice of destination as a 'single, just out of uni, first time to Australia' place to live.

It does however have some great countryside around it and lots of lovely natural pools to visit.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I don't know where to start . It's getting late here, so my brain's not up to this one at the moment. Just a quick question so that others with engaged brains can assist: what sort of job is it?
It's just administrative work, not a graduate position so the wages aren't that high but they're not too bad. I've been having a look at a few house/flat shares and the prices don't seem to be too bad (Up to $200 a week), but I'm slightly worried as it seems as if any accommodation seems to be few and few between.

Last edited by ally01payne; Mar 24th 2011 at 12:40 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pomster
Alice Springs is a small town in the middle of a bloody huge desert.

It has a few things like Kmart, lots of tourists, but as far as I know there is not a thriving night life scene.

The Aboriginals and white Australians do not seem to mix (as far as I could see) and there is a bit of a 'them and us' feeling.

To my mind- it would not be my preferred choice of destination as a 'single, just out of uni, first time to Australia' place to live.

It does however have some great countryside around it and lots of lovely natural pools to visit.
Thanks a lot for the info mate. I'm not too concerned about the clubbing side of things, just so long as I can get a cold pint

I read an article in The Australian I think it was the other day about some of the problems that the place is having at the moment with regards to the the influx of aboriginies from stations in the outback. I'm not too concerned though just as long as its confined to a certain part of town.

The countryide around Alice Springs does look great but looking at the distances it'll probably be worth getting a car.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot for the info mate. I'm not too concerned about the clubbing side of things, just so long as I can get a cold pint

I read an article in The Australian I think it was the other day about some of the problems that the place is having at the moment with regards to the the influx of aboriginies from stations in the outback. I'm not too concerned though just as long as its confined to a certain part of town.

The countryide around Alice Springs does look great but looking at the distances it'll probably be worth getting a car.
Tends to spread to all areas & if you're new in there you won't know where not to live. Especially the shops on Thursdays.
Personally wouldn't live in Alice Springs as way too far from the sea.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

There's an old thread HERE with some info from people living there